Home

MLB 13 The Show Player Ratings For Every Team

This is a discussion on MLB 13 The Show Player Ratings For Every Team within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #177
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: MLB 13 The Show Player Ratings For Every Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSports
All I can say is that Harpers Avg. HR distance was longer than Trouts by almost 15-20 feet
Trout has a much more compact swing and smashes the ball all over the field. It seems like he makes solid contact every time. The ball screams to the opposite field.

You can make the argument that Trout hits the ball harder.....Trout hit an opposite field home run that went 440' in Comerica. The power is there, and when he tries to hit home runs he can launch them with the best of them (the dude is built like a linebacker).
Old 03-01-2013, 01:39 AM   #178
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
I agree speed helps with SLG a lot, but he still had 30 homeruns. You'd have to break it down per hit to see how many singles he turned to doubles and doubles he turned into triples. If he played the first month he'd have around 34-35 probably.

Alot what if's and I was questioning the same thing as well. You can't just look at SLG and turn that into power. You have to look at average distance ball traveled, homeruns, and IsoP.
You cannot just look at HRs in this case. While hitting 30 HRs missing most of April looks impressive, Trout had a very good batting average, meaning he produced a lot of safe hits. If he is really powerful, many more of those safe hits would've been converted into HRs... in fact, just 16.5% (= 100 * 30 / 182) of hits were HRs for Trout. If he had the power of Adam Dunn, who had 37.3% (= 100 * 41/110) of hits in HRs, Trout would've hit 68 HRs (!) in 2012.... so you could argue that Trout reached the 30 HR mark partly because he is generally a great hitter with some but not great pop, and he had enough playing time.

When rating a player for power, you should probably look at something like HR / H or something like that, to better isolate the ability to "rake"
Old 03-01-2013, 05:31 AM   #179
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
You cannot just look at HRs in this case. While hitting 30 HRs missing most of April looks impressive, Trout had a very good batting average, meaning he produced a lot of safe hits. If he is really powerful, many more of those safe hits would've been converted into HRs... in fact, just 16.5% (= 100 * 30 / 182) of hits were HRs for Trout. If he had the power of Adam Dunn, who had 37.3% (= 100 * 41/110) of hits in HRs, Trout would've hit 68 HRs (!) in 2012.... so you could argue that Trout reached the 30 HR mark partly because he is generally a great hitter with some but not great pop, and he had enough playing time.

When rating a player for power, you should probably look at something like HR / H or something like that, to better isolate the ability to "rake"
That what I am curious about. I am not saying HR's is the only factor, but I don't think H/HR would be the best stat either. What about guys like Pujols when he'd hit .330 with 40+ HR's? Does he not deserve the 90 power either?

I am not really complaining about his attributes either as more as I am just curious. I guess I still don't understand what constitutes "contact" and "power".
Old 03-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #180
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k

I would put it another way, Trout has power and can hit for average.

What is this game using to calculate power rating?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #181
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
That what I am curious about. I am not saying HR's is the only factor, but I don't think H/HR would be the best stat either. What about guys like Pujols when he'd hit .330 with 40+ HR's? Does he not deserve the 90 power either?

I am not really complaining about his attributes either as more as I am just curious. I guess I still don't understand what constitutes "contact" and "power".
Contact rating = batting average is correct by our experience and has been pretty much confirmed that the rating is designed to replicate. I'm not sure about Power rating exactly, but it's pretty obvious that what it affects most is the speed of the batted ball... the higher the Power rating, the faster the ball travels off the bat for the most part... for grounders, line drives, fly balls.... all. hahahaha

In regular gameplay, I think Contact is probably most well correlated with line drive % in details.... There has been pretty solid evidence (e.g., sabermetrics) that high batting average is mostly a result of more line drives (which tend to fall between fielders before being caught). So high Contact hitters produce more line drives compared to grounders, fly balls, popups, etc.

I think Power pretty much translates to how much jolt you can put into the batted ball.... it tends to work like that in looking at numbers in simmed games.... but in regular gameplay it feels that it has slightly larger effect than just putting jolt, since by making the batted ball travel faster, high Power hitter can convert some less-quality hits into safe hits, finding holes and landing between fielders. So when you compare high and low Power hitters with same Contact, the former tends to outperform (which makes sense even in real life.....).

I just cited HR / H, because it's the easiest number to calculate (almost all baseball stats sites/books has the number), and so long as you can neglect park factors, hitting approach, swing angle and all, it represents what we conceive as power fairly well....... hahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
I would put it another way, Trout has power and can hit for average.

What is this game using to calculate power rating?
I don't know this exactly, but HR/H does correlate well with HR numbers in the game:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2042370718

That's from simmed games though.... but I doubt things are that different in regular gameplay for this specific case....... haha.

One thing I'd also add is that I think partly the reason why the game doesn't *have* to give exceptionally high Power ratings to those who hit for high averages but still produce 30/40+ HRs or so as well, is that those types of hitters probably are compensating between power and contact approach to some degree... meaning they choose to hit for very high average by not going for fence all the time (reduced power).

Last edited by nomo17k; 03-01-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #182
MVP

OVR: 1

I still don't get why Harper should have higher power rating than Trout, 78-72 vs RHP.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #183
All Star

franch1se's Arena

OVR: 20

that top rated closer list on the first page is wrong. Its missing Huston Street who is a 90 overall
Old 03-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #184
Rookie

3fiddy's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
I still don't get why Harper should have higher power rating than Trout, 78-72 vs RHP.
No one knows what trout will do next. I hope he goes 50/50 club next year I make my peace with swing plane. Pujols will never hit 50 with that even swing plane Adam dunn will not make enough contact to hit 50. Uppercut swing gives a smaller timing window for peak results. Even swing gives a better chance for contact without peak power. Trout seems to be a man among boys and break the mold. So the ratings guy chose the contact path. I agree awesome power but he can't be 99 everywhere lol This works for me unless he comes out mashing homers then it should be bumped up. Otherwise I think it play good. Wish I knew how to calculate power too I research splits all of January preparing for draft. And sometimes you jus gotta watch the guy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »