Home

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360)

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360) within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

Flightwhite24's Arena

OVR: 34
On the Live Tourney even Par is the leader. Even though its only 3 holes its good to see this. And I recognize some of the names as Hardcore TW fans

Simulation no doubt is for the Hardcore Sim Gamer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Flightwhite24; 03-05-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now For 360, Later Today For PS3

Being the impetuous fool that I am, I had to jump right into the Simulation Difficulty, Connected Tournament. I was +4 for my first 3 hole round, after triple bogeying the last hole. I holed a pitch from 30 yards on the second hole to salvage a par, so it was really worse than the +4 sounds..

My overall initial impression is a bit negative, but that's being driven mostly by my disappointment with the "Broadcast" presentation setting. I had a real beef with the way the Presentation camera option worked last year, in that it immediately switched to another camera view at impact. Regrettably, that continues with Tiger 14, based on what I've seen thus far. It just destroys the connection I have with my golfer, and the desire to see the flight of the ball from his perspective for at least three or four seconds. I'm hoping my test with the Move version tonight, which will allow me to try this First Person Perspective view that's available to motion controllers, will remedy the situation with the presentation. As much as I dislike follow camera, I'm not sure I don't prefer it to what I'm getting out of this "Broadcast" presentation :cry:

I haven't seen a shot arc in any of my connected play so far, although I have seen hole by hole scoring updates. I've lost my headset this morning, so I don't know whether the vocal comms are working or not. I need to spend more time with the Connected Tournaments to see what I'm missing.

Simulation difficulty is indeed a handful! I'll be lucky to break par with it. The advanced shot shaping is tough to master. The 5 o-clock to 11 o-clock action Tiger's swing requires is difficult to reproduce for me. I do better with 7 to 1 0-clock. I'm all over the course trying to pull off this diagonal swing path! The fading analog strike meter target gives me a fit. I get a lot of bad mi****s because I'm not holding the stick anywhere near the strike point I'd intended.

Graphically, I haven't been terribly impressed with what I've seen so far, but the conditions have all been dark. There was a bit of a sepia tone to the Quick Play round I did my second time around at Oak Hills that wasn't my cup of tea. I didn't like the fact that the putting animation still has an over exaggerated waggle, but the overall putting stroke feels better than Tiger 13. I'm still extending the aiming cursor well beyond the hole an throttling my stroke accordingly. I have had some misses due to pulling putts with bad tempo, or at least, that's the way it felt.

Still, I'm really bummed about the presentation work. It's frustrating to know that the type of presentation I desire is "in the game", I'm just not given the menu tools to tailor it.... (sigh) I'm curious to see what Kinect users think of the "First Person Camera" option that's available with the Kinect in use. It might answer my gripe about the hyper-camera-switch of Broadcast presentation.

I've played Connected Tournaments for 18 holes now, and I've yet to see another player's shot arc. I've even camped in spectator mode for 20 minutes and haven't seen another player's shot arcs.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3
Not what I was hoping to hear
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagMan
Not what I was hoping to hear
It is no different than any other demo or game release as users are getting used to the new gameplay and settings.....a week or two from now should be more indicative if this demo hit the mark or it didn't. And keep in mind that the demo was finished a full 2 months prior to the actual game and I would not be surprised if the demo may have some issues that were addressed in the final release.

Xbox One Elite Controller

The Golf Club 2
Old 03-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 1

ive tried simulation level as well im finding it really tough cant drive the ball on the fairway,tried again off the tee with a punch shot with arnold and the Game has froze up....not sure if its because i hit should a bad shot of just demo bugs.....really liking it so far,just finding it tough need a driving range to get my swing right...

Froze Again hitting ball into right rough with arnold on his challenge...looks like problem there off to try oak hill.

Last edited by Yeltzman; 03-05-2013 at 11:18 AM. Reason: update
Old 03-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Please don't take my personal gripe with the Broadcast presentation, moment of impact camera switch as an overall indictment of the game. I'm sure this is more of a personal preference issue that will only be on the minds of a small minority of gamers. I'm sure the majority play using follow camera anyway, and my one 3 hole connected tournament with it showed me that it's working just like normal. I just can't force myself to play using follow camera anymore because I find that it destroys the point of view immersion I seek.

The fading analog target in the strike meter will be the death of me in Simulation difficulty. I'll start off thinking I'm holding the faded cursor on the lower left of the ball, only to have the post shot feedback meter show that I actually struck it on the mid- right. The result reflects that in where the ball ended up! It's tough, but I'm not sure just yet if it's tough for the right reason. I need to give it a lot more time. I can't even produce a diagonal that doesn't look like a dollar sign on the feedback meter!?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Anyone seen any shot arcs yet? I haven't seen one!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 1

Yep other players shots appearing on my screen....names and voices left of screen you mean......

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »