Home

MLB 13 The Show Review (PS3)

This is a discussion on MLB 13 The Show Review (PS3) within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
I did not buy 12 as 'Pulse Pitching' was the only BIG feature and the online community here had produced outstanding updated rosters. Well, they got wise to that and shut down the servers for 11 (and I'm sure thats coming for 12 owners as well), so I was forced to buy 13 just so I could play online. I feel that my purchase of 13 is just an online pass. I can only comment about how it compares to 11 and the graphics are the same and the same issues that I had w/ 11 still persist-

The stock sliders that come with the game are crazy bad. When I adjust them to what I had in 11, guess what, they improved the game significantly (again). Do the developers even incorporate what the community produces or 'fixes' within the game? The OFers arms are way too strong, the fielders react way too quickly, and the base runners are too fast. The pitcher 'magically' knows when you've put the steal on after ignoring your runner at first for the past 11 pitches, throws over 4 times in a row.
The damn glitch that happens at the pitchers release point makes online unplayable unless you have an excellent connection and even in solo play, that glitch pops up 4-6 times per game, usually at the worst times.
Looking for a league that has a fantasy draft and uses the batter/pitcher settings you like...well too bad...you STILL have to scroll through every darn league and look for yourself. There is no 'search' mode. There is no way to communicate with your league either before the draft, except external PSN messaging.
Getting your butt kicked online by a dirtballer? Well you used to be able to 'concede' the match, but no more. You have to take a 'quit' if you dont finish the game, no matter how obnoxious your opponent is.
With licenses for the HOF and the Minor League Players Association, why does OS community have to step up and do a decent roster modification to have realistic minors? A few years back, HOF players were worked into the game...what happened with that?!? How about photographing all the players in 'blue uniforms' so no matter what team they are on, the logos/hats/unis show on them for their current team? Talk about immersion.

The Show is still, by far, the best baseball game, but reinforcing that adage that competition makes you better...they are sloppy and lazy in giving us something better year in and year out since they own this market. Here's an idea- since you're licensed with everyone who ever played the game, make todays rosters awesome, make rosters from every team in the past too. Make all time team rosters...etc etc. Now, give players the ability to start MLB the Show in whatever year they choose....1941, 1980, 2000...whenever, and the game will have accurate rosters from that time period. As the drafts come about, they have the players that were actually drafted in that year...or give the player the option of a 'random draft' that will produce players from throughout baseballs history. Mike Schmidt batting against Satchel Paige...C'mon, who WOULDNT love that?!? Put together a solid, complete product, then I will gladly pay $10/month to play this game online, renewing every year, and you make double the annual sale off of me. Have The Show be like Star Craft or any of the MMORPG games where clients pay monthly and the software is updated as needed with new features instead of you releasing these sub average feature upgrades every 12 months and charging me $60 for it! I could go on about how to improve the game, but I'll save my fingers.

Sorry everyone that this turned from a review into a rant, but I LOOOOVE baseball and I play a ton of OOTP, watch a lot of games every year, coach HS baseball and I see huge potential in The Show if they would just try harder...but alas, they dont have to.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 4
They actually put my last name in the game which I thought was the coolest thing in the world
Old 03-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: MLB 13 The Show Review (PS3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDHitman
I did not buy 12 as 'Pulse Pitching' was the only BIG feature and the online community here had produced outstanding updated rosters. Well, they got wise to that and shut down the servers for 11 (and I'm sure thats coming for 12 owners as well), so I was forced to buy 13 just so I could play online. I feel that my purchase of 13 is just an online pass. I can only comment about how it compares to 11 and the graphics are the same and the same issues that I had w/ 11 still persist-

The stock sliders that come with the game are crazy bad. When I adjust them to what I had in 11, guess what, they improved the game significantly (again). Do the developers even incorporate what the community produces or 'fixes' within the game? The OFers arms are way too strong, the fielders react way too quickly, and the base runners are too fast. The pitcher 'magically' knows when you've put the steal on after ignoring your runner at first for the past 11 pitches, throws over 4 times in a row.
The damn glitch that happens at the pitchers release point makes online unplayable unless you have an excellent connection and even in solo play, that glitch pops up 4-6 times per game, usually at the worst times.
Looking for a league that has a fantasy draft and uses the batter/pitcher settings you like...well too bad...you STILL have to scroll through every darn league and look for yourself. There is no 'search' mode. There is no way to communicate with your league either before the draft, except external PSN messaging.
Getting your butt kicked online by a dirtballer? Well you used to be able to 'concede' the match, but no more. You have to take a 'quit' if you dont finish the game, no matter how obnoxious your opponent is.
With licenses for the HOF and the Minor League Players Association, why does OS community have to step up and do a decent roster modification to have realistic minors? A few years back, HOF players were worked into the game...what happened with that?!? How about photographing all the players in 'blue uniforms' so no matter what team they are on, the logos/hats/unis show on them for their current team? Talk about immersion.

The Show is still, by far, the best baseball game, but reinforcing that adage that competition makes you better...they are sloppy and lazy in giving us something better year in and year out since they own this market. Here's an idea- since you're licensed with everyone who ever played the game, make todays rosters awesome, make rosters from every team in the past too. Make all time team rosters...etc etc. Now, give players the ability to start MLB the Show in whatever year they choose....1941, 1980, 2000...whenever, and the game will have accurate rosters from that time period. As the drafts come about, they have the players that were actually drafted in that year...or give the player the option of a 'random draft' that will produce players from throughout baseballs history. Mike Schmidt batting against Satchel Paige...C'mon, who WOULDNT love that?!? Put together a solid, complete product, then I will gladly pay $10/month to play this game online, renewing every year, and you make double the annual sale off of me. Have The Show be like Star Craft or any of the MMORPG games where clients pay monthly and the software is updated as needed with new features instead of you releasing these sub average feature upgrades every 12 months and charging me $60 for it! I could go on about how to improve the game, but I'll save my fingers.

Sorry everyone that this turned from a review into a rant, but I LOOOOVE baseball and I play a ton of OOTP, watch a lot of games every year, coach HS baseball and I see huge potential in The Show if they would just try harder...but alas, they dont have to.
It sounds like you want to play a different game...go play THAT game. If it doesn't exist, then don't blame The Show for it, lol. To each their own.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #12
Staff Writer

OVR: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeMove22
So no mention of the off-line cpu pitch stutter?. That should be noted and added to score value.
Did not encounter any stutter in any offline game i played. Pitchers were a smooth as always. What mode are/were you in?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 11
I brought a ps3 only for the show ( in fact Sony needs to slide the San Diego crew some money for raising sales because I'm not the only one game ps3er)

I loved last years game and was going to stick with that unless they got a better World Series celebration, hall of fame for franchise, and tracking award winners in franchise. They had to have all of them or I would stick with 12... Well what can u say? They did it and its surpassed 12 IMHO as the best sports game for the current consoles
Old 03-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
Pro

sparkdawg777's Arena

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PovertyStricken
Great Review! BTW...sparkdawg....I'm not sure if you know this or not (b/c I didn't until someone pointed it out), but you can change your settings to only show you on the basepaths when you are the lead runner. This makes it much more fun for me as I don't have to stand around and wait on the lead runner's decision. Just throwing it out there incase you didn't know.

Take care!
Wow I had no idea you could do that ill check it out
Old 03-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 8
The stuttering issue is real and is ruining the game for me as I really enjoyed the batter pitcher interface, best since High Heat.

The stutter is there it is real and I hope they fix it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #16
Rookie

mjarz02's Arena

OVR: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRoark
Did not encounter any stutter in any offline game i played. Pitchers were a smooth as always. What mode are/were you in?
If you have stutter problems, make sure you're running on 720p and/or game mode.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »