Home

Major League Baseball 2K13 Review (XBox 360)

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K13 Review (XBox 360) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #9

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Major League Baseball 2K13 Review (XBox 360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFNREADY
Nicely said, without the profanity! lol
Now most baseball gamers on the xbox360 will be waiting for a major price cut! lol
cheers
Yep. I played it at Best Buy today, then I saw it on the shelf for $60. I had plenty of cash, but I just couldn't do it. Upgrading from 2K12 to 2K13 isn't worth half that much money.

PS: sounds like a good, honest review.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 3
MLB Today Season was in last year's game, although it was rather broken. So I wasn't sure if you just meant you hoped it was fixed or if unaware it was in there last year.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
I stopped reading at this:
Quote:
The depth in Major League Baseball 2K13 is as deep as the kiddie pool in your back yard.
It's unfortunate to see folks that should know better play that game. 2K13 has plenty of faults, and I can even agree that a 4 is an appropriate score considering it is such a slight upgrade. But the game is any thing but shallow.

It competes with a game that throws everything but the kitchen sink in, yet has a fairly abysmal franchise mode that requires one to play as all 30 team to prevent from becoming a joke.

So 2K eschews the details of player movement for a much deeper season mode. The fatigue, pitch count, and team health are far more strategic and useful than a rule 5 draft. The players have ratings that significantly differentiates players in various phases of the game which makes managing a team over a season more compelling.

When I see someone go for the "shallow" dig, it just kind of exposes them for how shallow of a look they really took of 2K baseball.

I wouldn't give it a 4, but I would not expect much else from an SCEA Central forum that caters to style over substance. 2K12 was underrated last year, and I think everyone fully expected it to go that way this year.

I mean, we're talking about a site that ran a poll on how much people like The Show, ad the only negative comments were, "Don't have a PS3" and "Don't like baseball." Did they let SCEA write it for them?

Last edited by Mt Oread; 03-11-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
Pro

scottyo60's Arena

OVR: 9
I never played 2k12 past demo and can't get enough of how fun this game is. Had I bought 2k12 and even 2k11 at full price (got 11 for $5) I'd be upset probably and not buying it.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
I've tried for years to give this franchise a chance, but to me they just never made the hitting fun. It's simple, I want to aim a visible cursor with the LS, and swing with either the button or the RS. The way this game is set up, you really don't even need to guess on the location of a pitch, as long as it's in the strike zone and your timing is ok. It just isn't rewarding when you hit the ball in my opinion, and that ruins it for me in a hurry.
And yet with the show that is how most like to play the game as they say it brings ratings more into play. I'll agree though that some sort of zone hitting would be a nice option to have.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyo60
I never played 2k12 past demo and can't get enough of how fun this game is. Had I bought 2k12 and even 2k11 at full price (got 11 for $5) I'd be upset probably and not buying it.
I think this is fair. I think reviews should bring up the fact that 2K13 is mostly a paint job with some patches. I don't blame folks for sticking with 2K12. I don't blame folks for being pissed that 2K dumped online leagues.

But it's a solid, fun game that folks in the 2K forum are responding positively, too. Putting a 4 on it is more of a dick move than an actual assessment of the game.

But 2K baseball has been fun to kick around for years now.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 28
The biggest slap in the face is the price tag. If a company wants to push a mild update out, that is fine but at $60? No thanks. $19.99 would be more fitting. Of course if you get the combo pack with NBA the cost of the game is $20.

People who try to compare this to The Show need to stop. The Show does so many things right from visuals, player movement and animations and gameplay. The sentiment I get is that those that haven't tried The Show think the visuals are the only upgrade over 2K. Well, that is where it starts but doesn't end.

I own both and pine for the return of EA in the baseball world.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

We'll I didn't expect anything less from this review. The game got killed in the OS Podcast. It's unfortunate that reviewer's are killing this game when Visual Concepts had no intention on releasing a baseball game this year.

They basically were forced by MLB to release this title. What did reviewer's expect with a probable 3 month dev cycle? If anything this game should have gotten an incomplete grade, with a detailed explanation to the community about why.

This game will get killed, but the sad reality is both Take-2 & MLB are to blame for the failure of Baseball on this generations console cycle. MLB for signing an exclusive license and Take-2 for killing the development team solely responsible for developing baseball for them which gave baseball on the 360 a disadvantage compared to the PS3 which has 1 development team for their baseball game.

BTW those killing the game for a $60.00 buck release, blame MLB not Take-2.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »