Home

MLB 2K13 Initial Reviews Quite Negative

This is a discussion on MLB 2K13 Initial Reviews Quite Negative within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: MLB 2K13 Initial Reviews Quite Negative

Straight from the review by Owen Good from Kotaku...

Quote:
Major League Baseball itself also deserves blame for MLB 2K13, and not just for buck-stops-here reasons because its name is on the box. Take-Two Interactive may have signed an outrageously priced contract back in 2005, but baseball had absolutely no long-term vision for the license either, despite clear signals sent years ago that it would have no dancing partner on the Xbox 360 under any normal deal in 2013. This game was announced, by surprise, in January, and is plainly the product of Major League Baseball reckoning with the embarrassment of missing a year on the Xbox 360 and the fact it had zero leverage in avoiding it.

The structure of Take-Two's semi-exclusive license to make MLB video games on consoles left the big leagues with no way to engage a new developer in enough time to put a simulation product on shelves this year. I suppose MLB and the MLB Players' Association could have renegotiated their arrangements with Take-Two to let in another publisher to build something—which would require modeling hundreds of players' liknesses and at least six new stadiums—for release after the pact expired in 2012. That, presumably, would have required a large cash giveback to 2K Sports. Otherwise, what meaning does an exclusive license have, and why would anyone have paid so much for one, incurring losses estimated at $30 million a year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #26
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
Your wrong... They had no obligation to put out a game as their license agreement with MLB ended after they produced 2K12 and were not gonna release MLB 2K13.

Buy yeah let's just keep pilling on 2K because you know "It's the thing to do"
Big...,Kotaku's story furthers my point. They had plenty of time and opportunity to put out a game. I love 2k, but I'm still gonna call it like it is. How is how 2k handled the whole situation good for games or gamers? Nah, when you pull stunts like this, you're gonna get it...period.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #27

OVR: 34

I have to scratch my head and ask why this thread was even created. Is this some sort of news piece? Is it, in light of some reacting to the initial review, an attempt to justify that review by saying, "Look, it's averaging bad scores so...?"

I would like to suggest that we refer back to the Madden 06 review given by Shawn Drotar, here on OS. It was given a 5. I use that review as an example for two reasons. One, I'm pretty sure the majority would agree that the game deserved a 5, so there really wasn't much controversy. Two, the review itself thoroughly breaks down why it was given a 5.

Reviews aren't given specific numerical points "because of principle" or because "very little was changed." They are given a numerical value based on the performance of the game. Heck, since we can't help but parallel MLB 2K with The Show, the OS MLB The Show 13 review writes, "There are no sweeping changes to either the core gameplay or the individual modes. And for some, that may be a valid reason to not buy the game. Call it the 'MLB 12.5 defense'." The Show was given a 9.

But I know why The Show was given a 9. It's an excellent representation of baseball in a sports video game. In some areas, so is MLB 2K 13.

When you look at the review that was given for MLB 2K13, that review isn't for this year's version. That review shouts "4" to 2K Sports for this entire generation. It says, "You are the guys that gave us NFL 2K5..."4!"....You are the ones that made the NBA 2K series what it is today..."FOUR!" 4! 4! 4! It's the frustration of feeling like baseball was put in the hands of the sacred 2K Sports and they blew it.

That's what that and many other reviews are all about.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:19 AM   #28
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkcil
Big...,Kotaku's story furthers my point. They had plenty of time and opportunity to put out a game. I love 2k, but I'm still gonna call it like it is. How is how 2k handled the whole situation good for games or gamers? Nah, when you pull stunts like this, you're gonna get it...period.
Inkcil, you say 2k had plenty of time to put out a game. From everything we know, an agreement was reached some where towards the end of the year with 2k & MLB. Many people in the know stated Visual Concepts worked on this game for less than 90 days.

I respect your opinion. I know your from the old school. We go all the way back to the SEGA Sports Message Boards. I know your passionate about 2k Sports & Visual Concepts, but on this 1 they really were put in a tough situation by the MLB.

They did the best they could, which was to say: "Let's try & Fix some surface stuff & get this game out with the" Perfect Game Challenge" in mind. Which is what 2k felt would help sell the game, which sucks for us hardcore supporters

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-15-2013, 01:27 AM   #29
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
Inkcil, you say 2k had plenty of time to put out a game. From everything we know, an agreement was reached some where towards the end of the year with 2k & MLB. Many people in the know stated Visual Concepts worked on this game for less than 90 days.

I respect your opinion. I know your from the old school. We go all the way back to the SEGA Sports Message Boards. I know your passionate about 2k Sports & Visual Concepts, but on this 1 they really were put in a tough situation by the MLB.

They did the best they could, which was to say: "Let's try & Fix some surface stuff & get this game out with the" Perfect Game Challenge" in mind. Which is what 2k felt would help sell the game, which sucks for us hardcore supporters

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
The MLB deserves a share of the blame. A large share of the blame, but in the end, no one forced 2k to this deal, and certainly no one forced them to charge $60.. 2k is responsible for their criticism, and it's deserved.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:56 AM   #30
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
The MLB deserves a share of the blame. A large share of the blame, but in the end, no one forced 2k to this deal, and certainly no one forced them to charge $60.. 2k is responsible for their criticism, and it's deserved.
No one is claiming they don't. The issue is, the review doesn't accurately represent the game.

I've been the biggest defender of 2K baseball here, and i said from the get-go, and still say, for most gamers, this was not going to be worth $60. I said it the moment they announced they released a game. I said it after every tiny reveal indicated the game was going to be a mostly a paint job and roster update.

But here's the deal. I'm glad they released a game. The only option was not to release a game. Every single person that says $60 is a bad deal can not buy the game and get EXACTLY what they would have if 2K didn't release it.

Sportaku and OS didn't review the game. That's their prerogative. But the same motives they use to justify their criticism of how 2K handled their business is the same that leads many to point out the huge disservice they did to people actually interested in the game instead of the politics.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:26 AM   #31
MVP

OVR: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
I have to scratch my head and ask why this thread was even created. Is this some sort of news piece? Is it, in light of some reacting to the initial review, an attempt to justify that review by saying, "Look, it's averaging bad scores so...?"

I would like to suggest that we refer back to the Madden 06 review given by Shawn Drotar, here on OS. It was given a 5. I use that review as an example for two reasons. One, I'm pretty sure the majority would agree that the game deserved a 5, so there really wasn't much controversy. Two, the review itself thoroughly breaks down why it was given a 5.

Reviews aren't given specific numerical points "because of principle" or because "very little was changed." They are given a numerical value based on the performance of the game. Heck, since we can't help but parallel MLB 2K with The Show, the OS MLB The Show 13 review writes, "There are no sweeping changes to either the core gameplay or the individual modes. And for some, that may be a valid reason to not buy the game. Call it the 'MLB 12.5 defense'." The Show was given a 9.

But I know why The Show was given a 9. It's an excellent representation of baseball in a sports video game. In some areas, so is MLB 2K 13.

When you look at the review that was given for MLB 2K13, that review isn't for this year's version. That review shouts "4" to 2K Sports for this entire generation. It says, "You are the guys that gave us NFL 2K5..."4!"....You are the ones that made the NBA 2K series what it is today..."FOUR!" 4! 4! 4! It's the frustration of feeling like baseball was put in the hands of the sacred 2K Sports and they blew it.

That's what that and many other reviews are all about.
cosign your last paragraph.
I would give the game a 6-7, even though its a patched version of last years game. its still fun and the pitching and batting are top notch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2013, 06:00 AM   #32
Banned

Profit89's Arena

OVR: 8
It's to bad they stayed away from PC. Mods could have really helped this game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »