Home

What NBA 2K13 Did Right

This is a discussion on What NBA 2K13 Did Right within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2013, 02:21 AM   #9
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: What NBA 2K13 Did Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I just had an opportunity to read the article and I thought it was well done. In fact, I think the great things mentioned are just the tip of the iceberg.
I'd agree. I think 2K13 got a tremendous amount of things right. The series has been so good for so long that I think many things are taken for granted. You could have a 20page+Little Things thread on the historical teams content alone imo. I constantly marvel at the visual detail in the game be it tattoos, coach/bench/crowd animations/reactions, the way 2K continues to top itself with in-game presentation elements... Just so much to list. Some of my fave things with this year's game:

- Player distinctiveness/individuality
- Improvements to the animation system, player interaction
- continuation, some plays continuing after the whistle
- stellar commentary, from the guys calling the game, to the sideline reports, to the real-time live halftime reports/updates (NBA Today)
- visual/presentation improvements to Blacktop mode
- added more classic teams, Dream Team
- gameplay tuner tweaks that work with customized rosters
- etc, etc, etc.

I've played this game since launch and I'd still say I've only touched on *maybe* 30% of what it has to offer. That 2K's been able to sneak in tuner gameplay tweaks which has made the game play even better is icing on an already delicious cake. Huge kudos for a stellar release.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 04-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaacc03

What 2k14 must do right, specially within the next generation of consoles is to:
-
When will we see the first 2K for the next gen console?

There hasn't been a specific release date yet for the new consoles but I imagine that 2K14 will be current gen and possibly next gen like Battlefield 3 will do. But I hope 2K doesn't make 1 copy, and just transfers it to the next gen. I hope they make a 2K13 PS3/Xbox360 version and one for the next gen with more details/graphics/stuff to it.

So 2K15 has to be the the start of a new era on the next console right? They have to blow everyone out of the water with the new range of possibilities with that console.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMartin
When will we see the first 2K for the next gen console?

There hasn't been a specific release date yet for the new consoles but I imagine that 2K14 will be current gen and possibly next gen like Battlefield 3 will do. But I hope 2K doesn't make 1 copy, and just transfers it to the next gen. I hope they make a 2K13 PS3/Xbox360 version and one for the next gen with more details/graphics/stuff to it.

So 2K15 has to be the the start of a new era on the next console right? They have to blow everyone out of the water with the new range of possibilities with that console.
2k14 for next generation of consoles hasnt been confirmed ... nor denied ... so all we have is past experience ... PS3 brought us 2k6, an integral port (from PS2, at least gamemodes wise) with just graphical updates.

I expect the same, even when the correct thing to do would be to create the game for such new console and port it into the PS3 ... anyways, this new generation of consoles, should leave little to no room for any kind of restrictions ... while 2k15 would undoubtedly must be a defining game (as 2k7 was for this generation), 2k14 should be the game that makes us believe that 2k would push the bar as far as their creativity and determination can and not as far as the hardware lets.

P.S:
IMHO, 2k13 offers the best complete package of all NBA2k games, so it did more than some things right ... but still has plenty of things to fix, a lot to reintroduce and many features to improve and expand upon.

Last edited by ffaacc03; 04-11-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14

There's a ton of stuff they did right in 2k13. Jump shooting is awesome and is the best it's ever been. You can finally stop on a dime and do quick pull-up jumpers, and the moving momentum shots are awesome when shooting off the dribble.

The dribbling is pretty sweet as well and is definitely the best it's been. The moves could react a bit quicker to your controller input, but overall the dribbling feels great. Each year 2k adds a little bit more control and comes closer to making you feel like you're controlling a real basketball player.

Layup and dunk animations are great as well. Finally you can knife through the lane and squeeze through small openings on drives rather than being unrealistically pulled and suctioned into defenders. For the most part, the dunks and layups are quicker and players do more "moving one-legged jumps" rather than slow 2-footed gathers that plagued 2k12. however, there's sometimes still not enough contact on dunks...sometimes there's just no physics at all as the dunker knocks defenders aside like bowling pins, but I'm hoping they'll work on that for 2k14.

Last edited by blues rocker; 04-11-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #13
Pro

Thelorn's Arena

OVR: 16

The commentary the rest is ****. Whatever happen from an almost perfect 2k11 to this?
Old 04-12-2013, 12:02 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0

I'm amazed at all the good reviews here. Maybe I'm not playing the same game as you guys. Anyway, there are a couple things that I would not like to see in the next gen bball games. 1: Too many canimations. The animations are rediculous at times and I'm always drawn into this long animation that I don't need. 2-I would like an option for the momentum stuff. Too many times I start the game off with a great lead, making smart decision all throughout the game. 2nd half I can't make a shot, turnover every possession, time-outs don't work. I'm sick of it. If my opponent isn't as good as I am with decision making and basketball know-how, he shouldn't get a handicap. That should be something that has to be adjusted in an option menu. Rebounding and passing need to be on point. If you don't have rebounding or passing you don't have basketball, period.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:02 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 2
Hope in 2K15, 2K gets the spin move animation right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #16
MVP

thedream2k13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
There's a ton of stuff they did right in 2k13. Jump shooting is awesome and is the best it's ever been. You can finally stop on a dime and do quick pull-up jumpers, and the moving momentum shots are awesome when shooting off the dribble.

The dribbling is pretty sweet as well and is definitely the best it's been. The moves could react a bit quicker to your controller input, but overall the dribbling feels great. Each year 2k adds a little bit more control and comes closer to making you feel like you're controlling a real basketball player.

Layup and dunk animations are great as well. Finally you can knife through the lane and squeeze through small openings on drives rather than being unrealistically pulled and suctioned into defenders. For the most part, the dunks and layups are quicker and players do more "moving one-legged jumps" rather than slow 2-footed gathers that plagued 2k12. however, there's sometimes still not enough contact on dunks...sometimes there's just no physics at all as the dunker knocks defenders aside like bowling pins, but I'm hoping they'll work on that for 2k14.
jumpshooting is decent, just way to easy compared to older versions of the game due to the lack of player specific releases. They also game star players super quick releases to make it even easier. Kobe shoots faster than ray allen in this game

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »