Home

First NHL 14 Screenshot Released

This is a discussion on First NHL 14 Screenshot Released within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
First NHL 14 Screenshot Released

You can view the larger size here.

What do you guys think? Any hints to the direction of the game you guys see?
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: First NHL 14 Screenshot Released

Hitting engine again. Hopefully this time they can get it right. I hope collision detection is in. I also hope the physics make sense, so playing against a 6'5 220 pound defender feels different than a 5'10 180 pound defender.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 4

this game has never been one of the better graphically looking sports games, so i was expecting a next gen screenshot, not an old gen one, ea sucks yet again
Old 04-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 33
I see the crowd are following the action closely once again!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0
One thing that bothers me about the NHL series and most sports games is the repeated animations in the crowd. In NHL 13, because there are so many panned out crowd shots it's totally distracting to see the canned repeated animations timed exactly the same, and I can already tell that it doesn't look like they've fixed this. It looks like they use a six person by six person block and then repeat it with different clothes. Seems minor but it totally takes away from the immersive experience.

The players jerseys look to have better lighting and shading though, I just wish most sports games would give some care and focus on the crowds to really capture the feel of the game.

I hope GameFace makes it into NHL 14 too. AND custom logos to create-a-team. I want to create the Charleston Chiefs from Slap Shot!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 7

I wonder if they will be integrating some semblance of the Infinity Engine into the hitting/collisions. NCAA's new physics looked pretty good to me.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePlayinSerb
this game has never been one of the better graphically looking sports games, so i was expecting a next gen screenshot, not an old gen one, ea sucks yet again
NHL was IMO the best looking sports game from 07-08 or 09. I don't know much as far as graphics and memory, but it's possible they may have maxed out what they could do as far as graphics, very early on this gen. I don't think the game is ugly, but it would definitely help liven it up if they gave us better replications of the arenas and real player faces. Overall though, this game was way better looking than the other sports games when it first came out, so they either didn't do much to improve them, or maxed out what they could do. The graphics along with the controls is what made people gravitate towards this series.

As for the screenshot, if they are going towards revamping the hitting yet again it's kind of depressing. The game obviously needs it, but to have to revamp the hitting once again is a slap in the face to us. For the past 3 years they've come out and talked about how they worked with a Russian physicist and you will no longer see players flying through the air. Obviously this is just one screen shot and I'm making a big deal about it, but overall it would tick me off a little because of all the effort they said they put into hitting the past few years. We shall find out Monday.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea

Last edited by bwiggy33; 04-12-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Factory
One thing that bothers me about the NHL series and most sports games is the repeated animations in the crowd. In NHL 13, because there are so many panned out crowd shots it's totally distracting to see the canned repeated animations timed exactly the same, and I can already tell that it doesn't look like they've fixed this. It looks like they use a six person by six person block and then repeat it with different clothes. Seems minor but it totally takes away from the immersive experience.

The players jerseys look to have better lighting and shading though, I just wish most sports games would give some care and focus on the crowds to really capture the feel of the game.

I hope GameFace makes it into NHL 14 too. AND custom logos to create-a-team. I want to create the Charleston Chiefs from Slap Shot!
Agreed, even in a game like MLB the Show you see that problem. Where randomly in the crowd 6 people who all look the same will do the same action at the same time and it stands out because usually none of the people around them are doing anything.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »