Home

Producer David Littman Talks NHL 14

This is a discussion on Producer David Littman Talks NHL 14 within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Producer David Littman Talks NHL 14

Operation Sports recently had a chance to get an early glimpse of NHL 14, and senior franchise producer David Littman was there to give us the the lowdown on where the series has been up until now and where it will be headed with NHL 14.

“For NHL this console generation, it's been all about quality and innovation. When you look back at the generation, the NHL franchise really stands with the best of them,” said Littman. “We're really proud of that.”

Littman feels that year after year his NHL dev team has been staffed by people who live and breathe hockey, either from having played it or by being die-hard fans of the sport. He cites the lockout this year being a problem for all fans of hockey, including his dev team, but he feels that the NHL 13 product showed that his group still has the touch even when interest in the sport may seem to be waning in the public eye.

Read More - Producer David Littman Talks NHL 14
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
Rock Band FTW!

murph17's Arena

OVR: 14
"These features, as well as an ambiguous tease of the 20th anniversary of NHL '94, were left on the vine for further reveals in the coming months."

On disc or XBLA version of NHL 94??? That would rule.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Producer David Littman Talks NHL 14

I no longer enjoy this game nor do I play it (traded it in). Going to take a lot to bring me back. This is the single most disappointing sports title of the major sports... They tout their HUT and Moments - well, that's nothing I care about. They need to make this look like actual hockey to get me back.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0
So, basically the game is a patch that we needed for NHL 13! This is why they have started releasing video and notes, since they are basically finished with the game.

See you in NHL15...maybe!
Old 04-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4
I'm convinced that David Littman has no real idea of how to improve the NHL franchise and is completely in la-la-land in what he thinks works and what doesn't in NHL 13.

The physics and true-performance skating are a mess. I've been watching hockey for 20 years. I've been PLAYING hockey for 1 year. I am by no means a hockey expert, but I think absolutely say that the skating is so unnatural it's goofy. I have less than one year of actual skating experience and can move more efficiently than anyone on the ice. Sometimes you do a huge curve when turning, usually you can rub against something to go faster; it's completely baffling what's going to happen one second from the next!

Nothing about goalies? The cross-crease goal was completely eliminated from this year's version of NHL. Not toned down, completely eliminated. A goal you see in hockey (a pass through somewhere close to the crease for a goal) is rarely seen in NHL 13. And how was this fixed? Spiderman goalies. Unnaturally quick goalies.

This leads to games usually turning into low-scoring affairs that end up getting won by fluke goals.

Good to hear about dekeing, I guess.

Fighting is something that will look good on the back of the box. Neat.

I am totally scared about the "Collision-physics Hitting System." FIFA was rough around the edges year one. NHL 13 has the weirdest collision detection in the franchises history (bump into someone at full speed and he barely moves, bump into someone away from the play and they completely lose their footing).

I really wish the team would focus on gameplay:

- Better skating and realistic physics.
- Improve the goalies, don't just make them animate faster.
- Awareness of penalties - EASHL has turned into an interference-fest with players rarely getting the interference penalty they deserve.

Fix the game ON THE ICE then focus on fighting and "live the life."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Banned

Profit89's Arena

OVR: 8
This game should have made it's way back to PC years ago. That's when I really was into it (with NHL 95). Since it left the PC, I haven't been back.

This game could really benefit from PC Mods. That's the only way I would get back to it. I could only imagine how great it would look with Mods like Scoreboards etc. Until then no way.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
MVP

Al_Tito13's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Producer David Littman Talks NHL 14

I really like the idea of having a collision physics overhaul, it was much needed, but I also have to say that goalies would need a lot of work too and I'm concerned about the fact it wasn't mentioned at all in the features.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
Staff Writer

Wiggy's Arena

OVR: 27
RE: goalies

Just to clarify guys: it wasn't a feature, but at the end of the piece, I did mention the goalies being tweaked. They're aware of the spiderman goalie stuff, and they're claiming that it will be addressed. Just thought I'd point that out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »