Home

More Details on the NHL 14 Enforcer Engine

This is a discussion on More Details on the NHL 14 Enforcer Engine within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: More Details on the NHL 14 Enforcer Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhouston
I feel like a lot of people might feel this way because of how crappy fights in the NHL series have been. So as most people skip or turn off fighting in the recent editions, there's that temptation to do the same with NHL 14.

However to compare a brand new fighting engine to being able to break glass is like comparing apples to staples -- eating one is good for you; the other, not so much...

Fighting is a large part of the hockey experience (there's a reason why it's tolerated in this sport and not in others...) and can get a team and an entire arena that little extra "umph", whereas the broken glass is just there for "realism" sake (although it doesn't happen too often in the real game), and ultimately slows the game down.

If EA does this right and allows fighting to impact a team's performance (as well as having the CPU induce a fight now and then), then I think this could be pretty cool.
Well I admit last year's Philly/Pitt brawl towards the end of the regular season was fun to watch.

Just curious how this will look. Like I said though, after seeing it once or twice, I'll probably turn off fighting. It's part of the game, but not an every day occurance.

And if the CPU doesn't start one, then definitely not something I'm excited about.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
Pro

porky14's Arena

OVR: 6

Probably fighting wil be banned in the real "NHL next year"
Old 04-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
Pro

PensDynasty87's Arena

OVR: 0

I don't see them banning fighting in the NHL next year. It's part of the sport as mentioned before. I can energize a team and or the crowd to get into the game. The only thing I think they should change about fighting is if one guy takes his helmet off the other should too. If u got the balls to fight then take the helmet off. Yeah it's already a rule if u have a visor u gotta take it off so what's the difference. Yeah some will say it will give more of a chance to hit ur head off the ice but ull see more broken hands with the helmet on than u will see heads split open with them off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #12
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhouston
I feel like a lot of people might feel this way because of how crappy fights in the NHL series have been. So as most people skip or turn off fighting in the recent editions, there's that temptation to do the same with NHL 14.

However to compare a brand new fighting engine to being able to break glass is like comparing apples to staples -- eating one is good for you; the other, not so much...

Fighting is a large part of the hockey experience (there's a reason why it's tolerated in this sport and not in others...) and can get a team and an entire arena that little extra "umph", whereas the broken glass is just there for "realism" sake (although it doesn't happen too often in the real game), and ultimately slows the game down.

If EA does this right and allows fighting to impact a team's performance (as well as having the CPU induce a fight now and then), then I think this could be pretty cool.
Completely understand where you're coming from, however I still hate the move. This game just has too many other gameplay related issues that should be fixed before introducing a new fighting system. Fights take 30 seconds or so of a 60 minute hockey game. To focus on that when other issues are prevalent, is the worst possible thing that could happen for people looking for a better hockey experience.

Also, fighting basically only happens at the beginning and middle of a season. At the end of the year and playoffs, fights don't happen very often. It's all scrums after the whistle. They could have just as easily added more scrums after whistles and kept the fighting system and it would be just as fine. I will 100% guarantee that fighting will do nothing but more than fill up the lines energy meter. There won't be any momentum swings or anything like that. This is EA just implementing a new system to draw even more casual non sim fans in. To me it just seems like a waste of a gameplay item
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 04-23-2013, 03:51 AM   #13
ORIGINAL SIX FAN

13whitebread's Arena

OVR: 15

Will the announcers describe the action of the fight or will there be silence and only crowd and player noises?
Old 04-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #14
Rookie

leafnut24's Arena

OVR: 2

Is it just me, or is anyone afraid that EA is going to over do the fight celebrations thing. Pretty rarely do you ever see a fighter celebrate like the trailer showed after winning a fight, unless you're Brian McGratten.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafnut24
Is it just me, or is anyone afraid that EA is going to over do the fight celebrations thing. Pretty rarely do you ever see a fighter celebrate like the trailer showed after winning a fight, unless you're Brian McGratten.
i hope there can be multiple fights going on at once.
and i hope there are cpu vs cpu fights and you can control your player to come in as a third man in and bundle the guy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
MVP

MizzouBravesFan's Arena

OVR: 13

So now that everyone is "live" are we going to see huge brawls with multiple fights?

Also it'd be nice if they made fighting mean something and used it in Franchise...like starting rivalries and upping old ones, teams remembering fights/hits/cheapshots etc. from earlier games in the season, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »