Home

More Details on the NHL 14 Enforcer Engine

This is a discussion on More Details on the NHL 14 Enforcer Engine within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #17
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: More Details on the NHL 14 Enforcer Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafnut24
Is it just me, or is anyone afraid that EA is going to over do the fight celebrations thing. Pretty rarely do you ever see a fighter celebrate like the trailer showed after winning a fight, unless you're Brian McGratten.
I don't think you have anything to worry about.
When has the EA NHL series ever implemented anything that was over-the-top or cheesy?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #18
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0

I for one am glad they changed this. I could not stand the old fight engine. Its just me but I have one or two fights every game. If a goon type guy lays out one of my forwards I always go after him that shift or later when I have a goon on the ice. 2 goons happen to be lined up at the face off I usually start a fight. I actually am one of the few who enjoyed NHL 13. I tweaked it just enough to have fun with it. I came to terms a long time ago that we will never get everything we want. Hockey is a sport that requires split second reactions and you just cannot build an AI to have human reaction....not yet anyway. all that being said I hope this is not the only thing they improved upon. Im sure they can improve the defense AI a bit in fact as someone previously posted it was not bad out of the box and then ruined with a patch. I would like to see more board work and corner scrums for pucks. I hope for presentation changes and just my own personal pet peeve.....give some new goalie masks or a mask editor...some are down right hideous.
Heres to hoping we see some of things we want
Old 04-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouBravesFan
So now that everyone is "live" are we going to see huge brawls with multiple fights?

Also it'd be nice if they made fighting mean something and used it in Franchise...like starting rivalries and upping old ones, teams remembering fights/hits/cheapshots etc. from earlier games in the season, etc.
I would love this, but I cannot imagine the NHL allowing it in a licensed product. The NHL tolerates fighting, but I have never seen them even tolerate, let alone promote, brawls at all.

I love your idea! That would really add to the immersion into your franchise universe!
Old 04-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #20
Pro

JezFranco's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
I for one am glad they changed this. I could not stand the old fight engine. Its just me but I have one or two fights every game. If a goon type guy lays out one of my forwards I always go after him that shift or later when I have a goon on the ice. 2 goons happen to be lined up at the face off I usually start a fight.
You're not alone.
Especially when me and the guys were playing some co-op, and after a few there's a big chance gloves will drop.
Payback scrums, or tactical fights are standard at late hours.

Thank you EA - This game is officially better than sex
Old 04-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
Completely understand where you're coming from, however I still hate the move. This game just has too many other gameplay related issues that should be fixed before introducing a new fighting system. Fights take 30 seconds or so of a 60 minute hockey game. To focus on that when other issues are prevalent, is the worst possible thing that could happen for people looking for a better hockey experience.
Exactly! I would really like to see things like variable season length in franchise mode, better passing and no more cheating goalies instead they are doing crap like this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #22
Rookie

onac22's Arena

OVR: 5

I'm still not sure what to think of this. So just to state what I interpreted.

At one point EA claims the computer will respond to a big hit on a star player by sending the enforcer across the ice dropping his equipment in a Tasmanian devil type tirade. I'm sure the Dev's are balancing this out but does that mean if I hit Kessel hard with Crosby, instead of the game doing nothing like this year, the game will now overcompensate and jump Crosby with Mclaren for throwing a hit.

A little sceptical about the whole thing. EA has not shown the ability to balance the frequency or use of these events for the AI. Does all of this suggest this year the Cpu will start jumping non fighters with goons? Like it doesn't happen enough on EASHL now the CPU gets to bully too.

Just sounds like it could have the potential to blow up in EA's face. Along with the one touch dekeing, I am very interested to see how all of this implements together.

On one hand it could turn into a great enforcer engine where standing up for your players is rewarded. EA's track history lately seems to point to the latter the game will fight at inapropriate times.

P.S. I love that Littman admitted the hitting was broken in 13. However doubt they really did anything about it.

Last edited by onac22; 04-24-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #23
MVP

Ninjoid's Arena

OVR: 16

The cpu needs to instigate fights for this to work....the lack of fights in cpu v cpu mode totally detracted from the game if you played it in that instance.

This has been a big issue over the last few iterations of the game....the cpu would start a fight and also fight itself on the old PS1 games but since the jump to PS3 this has been missing.

Hopefully this new engine, where all the players are live will work out for us cpu v cpu fans.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:40 AM   #24
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

They already had black eyes and scars in the game. In fact they would last several games sometimes after getting in a fight.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »