Home

Court Filing Shows NCAA Had Concern About Use of Athlete Likenesses

This is a discussion on Court Filing Shows NCAA Had Concern About Use of Athlete Likenesses within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2013, 03:03 AM   #17
Banned

californ14's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Court Filing Shows NCAA Had Concern About Use of Athlete Likenesses

I remember at least one football game using the name "Joe Idaho" as a likeness for Joe Montana because they didn't have a license to use his real name...Better get them lawyers on that "likeness" those evil bastards exploiting Joe Montana like that....smh....
Old 04-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1
The NCAA just threw EA under the bus.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 6
I'm a Nebraska season ticket holder. When playing one of my season games, I noticed in my seat there was a fan wearing red. Looks kind of like me. Where can I get in on this??
Old 04-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #20
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by californ14
Has nothing to do with any enjoyment I may or may not get out of playing games. and since I do not play NCAA, it really is not a motivating factor here....I dislike lawyers and stupid lawsuits....Maybe these players could do without sports scholarships and other perks they may or may not get for playing a game? Way I see it, the NCAA owns these people in college...If they do not like it they can get a job at McDonalds....
Only problem is it's not a stupid lawsuit. If your boss was making billions and only paying your expenses for job training and travel, you'd be pissed that he is profiting greatly off your work while you get nothing. The amount of money that is made off the exploitation of college athletes is crazy. If it were a stupid lawsuit, it would have been thrown out by now. Problem is it's a legit lawsuit and college athletes are finally tired of not getting a piece of billion dollar pie.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #21
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rick_14
Thanks for that. Going to play devil's advocate here.

While it doesn't say that there is grounds to sue for selling a product that allows likenesses to be created (in this case through editing), it also does not state against it leaving lawyers with plenty of gray area to maneuver (unless I missed something).

A lawyer could argue that by including roster editing as a feature of their product, they are indirectly responsible for the usage of likenesses in their product by their fan base. Especially when they add the tie in for ease of mass distribution through the roster locker system.

Is it a harder argument to win? Yes, but I don't think it's an impossible argument to win.
if the rosters were completely random, meaning instead of a 6'1 white QB from Texas A&M that wears #2 they made him a 6'3 black QB that wears #3, then they can't prove it's based on Johnny Manziel. Even if they allowed us all the editing options we want so we can make the rosters accurate, they would have no argument for a lawsuit. Just because they allow you to edit does not mean they are responsible for what you do with that editing. So while you're trying to play devil's advocate, it doesn't work in this situation. The lawyers could try but in this case they'd have no real argument because they can't prove the rosters EA puts out are based on anyone in real life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #22
Rookie

T-Moar's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rick_14
Thanks for that. Going to play devil's advocate here.

While it doesn't say that there is grounds to sue for selling a product that allows likenesses to be created (in this case through editing), it also does not state against it leaving lawyers with plenty of gray area to maneuver (unless I missed something).

A lawyer could argue that by including roster editing as a feature of their product, they are indirectly responsible for the usage of likenesses in their product by their fan base. Especially when they add the tie in for ease of mass distribution through the roster locker system.

Is it a harder argument to win? Yes, but I don't think it's an impossible argument to win.
If that were possible, the NFLPA would have sued Backbreaker by now.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #23
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13

As stated before EA could save themselves a lot of trouble with future titles if they:

1. Add a global editor with minimal lag. This is a must for me. (No need for the 3D stuff)
2. Every Player's likeness and ratings must be randomized.
3. Give users the option to delete default players and create as many players as they want as long as they don't exceed the roster limit.

TBH this will never happen. Only hardcore fans want to play around with ratings and editors. As soon as casual gamers figure out their favorite star players don't resemble their real life counterparts by default they won't want to buy or play the game anymore. Most ppl buy this just to hold them over until Madden drops as it is.

If the players win this lawsuit I have a hard time believing EA would continue to make college football games. Too much risk involved and combined with the inevitable reduction in sales...it would be all over.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 0

Its more like... If your boss paid for your house, groceries, car, training, and travel while giving you the oppurnity of becoming a million. Who could be greedy with that

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »