Home

Breathe a Sigh of Relief: New Xbox Will Allow Offline Gaming

This is a discussion on Breathe a Sigh of Relief: New Xbox Will Allow Offline Gaming within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Breathe a Sigh of Relief: New Xbox Will Allow Offline Gaming

In a recently filed report by Ars Technica citing internal e-mails from Microsoft, it appears the rumors of the next Xbox only allowing gamers with active internet connections to play are unfounded.

"Durango (the new Xbox's Code Name) is designed to deliver the future of entertainment while engineered to be tolerant of today's Internet." The e-mail continues, "There are a number of scenarios that our users expect to work without an Internet connection, and those should 'just work' regardless of their current connection status. Those include, but are not limited to: playing a Blu-ray disc, watching live TV, and yes playing a single player game."

Also, this all but confirms the rumor that the new Xbox will have the capability of streaming live TV service as well via an HDMI input. This is certainly good news for people who live in areas with more spotty internet connections (a lot of rural Americans for instance).

h/t Ars Technica for the news.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Pro

moneal2001's Arena

OVR: 8
how can they say you can stream live tv through the xbox if you are not connected to the internet? unless the xbox takes over and controls your cable/sat/antenna connection. that right there could be a hassle in its own right.

This raises more questions than answers. it says these things should just work not will just work. WTH does that mean????
Old 05-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
Rookie

Colt45's Arena

OVR: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneal2001
how can they say you can stream live tv through the xbox if you are not connected to the internet? unless the xbox takes over and controls your cable/sat/antenna connection. that right there could be a hassle in its own right.

This raises more questions than answers. it says these things should just work not will just work. WTH does that mean????
@Moneal2001 The reason you can watch live TV without being connected to the internet is because of the HDMI In. Instead of hooking your cable box to the HDMI port on the back of your TV, you plug it into the back of the Durango, and watch your cable service through your Xbox.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4
I'll probably still get a PS4 unless the new Xbox is vastly superior. First Xbox had a bum drive for early buyers and the 360 had RRoD. I'll wait a year or two and see what games they get and for the problems to be ironed out.

I'll probably get a PS4 because most Xbox games are also on PC while Playstation games (mostly JRPGs) never come to the PC. Not to mention The Show.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Banned

Profit89's Arena

OVR: 8
Pretty decent news.

Better news still would be if the new console runs on windows 8. Then we might finally see the convergence of two platforms (Xbox & PC). Which is a partnership that is long overdue. The way of the future is convergence I hope, as opposed to bickering FanBoys who want to argue over silly things. A win for one platform is a win for the others. Go it alone and you'll die.

Last edited by Profit89; 05-06-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
Rookie

BLACKjersey53's Arena

OVR: 4
The debunking of the always online rumor has the new Xbox back in my interests! Thank goodness.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 15
I had no doubt about that
Old 05-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
24 Forever

mike24forever's Arena

OVR: 29
I love when people explain why they are going to get a PS4 over the new Xbox. Thanks, that clears it up for all of us. SMH.

Back on topic...maybe people will now come off the ledge about the "always connected"!

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »