Home

Women Not in FIFA 14 This Year, the Right Call?

This is a discussion on Women Not in FIFA 14 This Year, the Right Call? within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Women Not in FIFA 14 This Year, the Right Call?

Owen Good has penned an excellent piece asking the pertinent question when it comes to the inclusion of women in the world's most popular sports video game of 'if not now, when?'

This all comes after a petition caught the publishers eye and a promise to include women in future editions was somewhat made.

Quote:
"It's noteworthy still for a couple of reasons: The addition, in 2011, of women players to EA Sports' NHL series (in their Be a Pro mode, and as an option in creating players elsewhere; two women also were included on a roster of all-time greats last year). And this year also saw, for the first time ever, the LPGA and one of its major tournaments included in a golf video game for consoles. And it's noteworthy because women's soccer is, as a participation and a spectator sport, more popular than women's golf or hockey."

What do you guys think? Is it time for women to be included within FIFA?
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
MVP

Murph's Arena

OVR: 12
I understand the business reason for adding women. You're attempting to lure a demo (gender) that normally has no interest in sports video games to buy said game.

With that said, I don't see myself (a male) playing that portion of the game much, if ever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Murph1
Old 05-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Rookie

Maxflier's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Women Not in FIFA 14 This Year, the Right Call?

I have always hoped they would add the female players. I actually prefer women's soccer to men's. They should at least do a women's World Cup game or something.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29
Are there any pro women's leagues popular enough? If so I say add them. Of not throw the national teams on there. Its not like EA can't afford those licenses.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Women Not in FIFA 14 This Year, the Right Call?

The vast majority of FIFA's sales come from places other than NA, the only place where women's soccer is somewhat popular. Does anybody really think that EA would sell a single game more if women would be in the game? So it's a business decision and us gamers should be happy about it, this means they won't waste development time for a gimmick that nobody would play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
Rookie

B5KoshYou's Arena

OVR: 2
I honestly was surprised EA didn't do something for FIFA 14 - especially given that the Women's World Cup is going to be in Canada in 2015 and the Canadian team is very good (EA Sports Canada is the dev).

Granted, on the club level women's soccer isn't in a place to demand inclusion in FIFA games. It is gaining popularity in UEFA and major clubs, and another "pro" league just started in USA, but none are popular enough to justify paying for name licensing. But national teams - world cup and olympics - would be a nice DLC. That would tell EA if there is indeed a market and give them opportunity to get a little more $.

I would think there are plenty of girls out there who would like to play with authentic women's national teams. But the licensing would have to be next to nothing to make it worthwhile and there's no way EA would pay FIFPro licensing for the few women anyone has heard of on ESPN.
Besides, aside from minor gameplay tweaks I can't think of much EA could do to improve an already excellent game. So expanding the market to women's teams might be a good move.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Rookie

B5KoshYou's Arena

OVR: 2
What if EA just took a few weeks and did some mocap on a few women's players to provide the infrastructure for users to create women's teams? The current men's kits and team/country logos could be used to make generic teams like Pro Evo. That way it would be up to the users to create authentic teams in Creation Centre. I'm sure cost involved for staff even for a couple weeks would be seen as prohibitive, but it would add a new feature to reach more of a growing demographic.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
Rookie

paconaifas's Arena

OVR: 1
Aside from the US, and some northern europe countries, women soccer isn´t popular at all. I don't think that it would be a feature that should be added, simply because only a small portion of the people that play the game, would play with female teams or players, and there are so many other things that they could use their time, and work to make better within the game. I myself would never play it as I never watch women soccer. I don´t have anything against women playing the sport, I just don't find it fun to watch, as it doesn't have the speed and athleticism that men put into the game!

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »