Home

Madden NFL 25 Defense and Blocking Gameplay Roundtable (UTC)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 25 Defense and Blocking Gameplay Roundtable (UTC) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Under The Code: Blocking and Defensive Gameplay Roundtable

Quote:
Originally Posted by californ14
Not saying these types of injuries do not happen, but they are not specifically "hard hit" related...I agree that they are poor technique related, but that should be calculated on an attribute like tackling or awareness, or maybe we need a "discipline" rating? Most hard hits, I am aware of, involve the shoulder and a method of "popping" at the right moment rather than leading with your head.

Ronnie Lott:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYFOXPUKBcA

Atwater on Akoye:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvPxzQBIafo

Thus my position is that "Hit Stick" that should not determine injury rate, but some other attributes involving skill, technique, discipline or tackle, or just the regular injury rating...

As I mentioned previously, a lot of times it is the receivers actions that lend to injuries, at least to ball carriers. Watch the Tatum hit on WR Stingley; Tatum hit him fairly and with good technique, Stingley ducked his head down and sadly paid for his poor technique in tacking a hit...
What you seem to not be understanding that I am stating is that due to the fact that in Madden most Users will use the "hit stick" as a routine tackle mechanic versus the skilled timed occasional technique like in the real NFL, the chance for injury should be consistent with that "abuse". I want the game to reasonably account for the in-game players having virtual bodies that can wear down and "break", not have Users spamming the hit stick all game with no regard for the toll on the defender, as well as attempting to hit stick with anybody. I don't want to see Deangelo Hall hit sticking TEs and only getting run over, not hurt or even Patrick Willis hit sticking small backs every tackle from the 1st to the 4th quarter.

All that said, I am hoping that with the fatigue meter hit sticking now has a tangible cost that may effect a defenders health over the course of a game and potentially a career. Also hopefully they brought over a fleshed out version of the wear n tear system from HC09 because football is a violent sport and all that contact wears down defenders over time.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
Banned

californ14's Arena

OVR: 6

I understand your position BIG, I just oppose the idea of punishment through increased injuries to persuade people to change the way they do a particular action or job....All that needs to be done is tie the activation of a big hit in regards to the players hit power rating, but I thought that was how it was already?

I also think we get into that grey area of assuming that size determines stamina or toughness; A lot of big guys get injured, some relatively frequently; thus why I believe injury ratings should be considered and not tying a particular user tool into increasing injury chances as a means to alter user play styles.

If we want to tie in fatigue to injury rate then I am all for that, but it should be implemented across all players; and is something I thought was already considered in game, but maybe not?

I would like to see wear and tear implemented, but for every player; until wear and tear can be implemented fairly on an individual player basis and take into account how the player was used, no one tool in its use, IMO, should increase injuries.

IMO we need "Hit Stick" only to be activated when the user attempts it AND the player power tackle rating is high enough....

If momentum, strength, fatigue, mass and such are implemented correctly, users trying to hit stick with smaller DB's are going to get ran over in M25 any way and thus push players to play their players differently; such as going for the legs..

It seems to me, BIG, we are both going towards the same goal but from different angles...It's been a fun sharing of points of view..
Old 05-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4
I basically agree with and support everything that buckeye delivered to the table.

I hope to see sim logic prevail and this hope may be met if the base score of blocking sliders are running off a pro logic threshold. I am not looking for linemen to perform to pro bowl standards universally and conversely not a rookie's stanard either.

As it is now, I use sim logic in following and setting up blocks but my blockers do not. In the same measure of cup, my cup should runneth over.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by hanzsomehanz; 05-18-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #12
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

I will still continue to be an avid anti hit stick advocate. I use to like it and I'm all for big hits and what not but I just feel like it's ran it's course and needs an overhaul that this 'force impact' stuff isn't going to accomplish. I'll wait and see how it turns out but chances I would say are pretty high that not much has changed and it still causes too many fumbles and is abused by the CPU at higher difficulty levels.

I would honestly, at this point, prefer it just be taken out of the game and have the hit stick hits just happen organically based on the interactions during gameplay.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #13
Banned

Profit89's Arena

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
I will still continue to be an avid anti hit stick advocate. I use to like it and I'm all for big hits and what not but I just feel like it's ran it's course and needs an overhaul that this 'force impact' stuff isn't going to accomplish. I'll wait and see how it turns out but chances I would say are pretty high that not much has changed and it still causes too many fumbles and is abused by the CPU at higher difficulty levels.

I would honestly, at this point, prefer it just be taken out of the game and have the hit stick hits just happen organically based on the interactions during gameplay.
This.

Get rid of it EA... It's gimmicky. And simplifies the control scheme.

Some players just give really big hits. It's an opportunity to add individuality to the game. Use skill cards like NBA 2K13. Don't complicate things with gimmicks all the time.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3
Did Natureboy play the game?!?
Old 05-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas

Personally, I have hated it since it's inception. The part I bolded is how I have always wanted things to play out.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 30
I think this all sounds promising. I just need to get my hands on it. Gotta feel it, not just see it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »