Home

Madden NFL 25 - How To Stop The Read Option (MyMaddenPad)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 25 - How To Stop The Read Option (MyMaddenPad) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #25
Rookie

jeffmanqb3's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Madden NFL 25 - How To Stop The Read Option (MyMaddenPad)

Here is a video of edge contain
Attached Images
File Type: gif 1u4g3.gif (734.1 KB, 72 views)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by infemous
I do however feel that no-one in their right mind would ever go after the RB. This makes this control function slightly overpowered...
Um so I give/pitch every single time and have one defender I never need to worry about?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #27
Rookie

jeffmanqb3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
Um so I give/pitch every single time and have one defender I never need to worry about?
That's exactly the point of read options.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #28
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmanqb3
I have a couple of things. First, the edge contain hot route does not work. The end will still follow the running back. Second, what if the offense doesn't run a read option? I shouldn't lose a pass rusher every time the offense passes out of pistol or shotgun because I want to contain the quarterback on read option.
Jeff, ratings distinguish discipline.

The QBs PA ability and offensive success/prowess in the run game will have an influence over your edge contain guy(s). On Defense it is your play recognition, awareness and pursuit.

It is not a foolproof strategy either way: the offense is also given a visual aide to help identify the reads in defense that signal when to hold on and when to let go.

I am not naive to understanding why they have given the offense and defense this ability but it is damn near spoon-feeding.

Why even have PRC? The ability to recognize and decipher deception and stay disciplined, if it can be so easily overriden. There is a recovery chance in the read option. If you fall for the bait you can still recover with pursuit or safety help - you have ten teammates.

I cannot fathom the sudden hand flailing when a mission fails.

In my experience, I will highlight coverage on the RB and put edge contain on the DEs or 34 edge rush LBs. I can also user the Safety. Is this plan of attack successful all the time? No, and that is as it should be.

I am aware this mechanism is not fool proof and defenders should still err but if the motions slowly develop well then it becomes a mini battle on both sides, kind of like a rock-papers-sissors match: this is not Football strategy.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #29
Pro

Trick13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
You mean like in real life? I don't like this at all. So far the NFL hasn't shown an ability to stop the read option. Why give the user one button that will essentially take all the randomness out of it.

When the Redskins played the Dallas Cowboys in week 17, Washington left DeMarcus Ware unblocked on just about every running play and left him to make the call. Ware was rendered useless for much of the game because of the great ball handling of RGIII and his natural aggression. Dallas coaches were telling DeMarcus to stay at home and not bail on his assignment, but he kept doing it. Now EA gives us a button to take that away.

Based on most running plays in Madden 13, the best way to stop this would be to just have the defender take the QB, because the blocking on the rest of the play was rather bad. Not a fan of this move at all. And yes I do use the Redskins and see the potential to limit the impact of my QB.
On the part of the Cowboys (vs Redskins) - horrible coaching job - Ravens did just what any intelligent coaching staff would do against any running QB - beat his backside every chance you get - game plan and say if there is an option to your side of the field - go kill the qb -if there is even a chance he might have the ball, blast him.

And it isn't like the Ravens were the first team to use that strategy - Patriots did it to Tebow in the playoffs - Tampa Bay used to beat the heck out of Vick and made him look very pedestrian - by just running through him - if you miss no big deal, but go at him hard every single chance you get. The read option won't last long, teams will start shying away from it, because you are likely going to be losing your starting QB too often.

I think this is a necessary counter point to read option plays. Replicates being the coach and saying to your guys at certain positions "your job is to make the opponents quit running that garbage college crap by beating the ever loving heck out of their QB every chance they give you!!!"
Old 06-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #30
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
On the part of the Cowboys (vs Redskins) - horrible coaching job - Ravens did just what any intelligent coaching staff would do against any running QB - beat his backside every chance you get - game plan and say if there is an option to your side of the field - go kill the qb -if there is even a chance he might have the ball, blast him.

And it isn't like the Ravens were the first team to use that strategy - Patriots did it to Tebow in the playoffs - Tampa Bay used to beat the heck out of Vick and made him look very pedestrian - by just running through him - if you miss no big deal, but go at him hard every single chance you get. The read option won't last long, teams will start shying away from it, because you are likely going to be losing your starting QB too often.

I think this is a necessary counter point to read option plays. Replicates being the coach and saying to your guys at certain positions "your job is to make the opponents quit running that garbage college crap by beating the ever loving heck out of their QB every chance they give you!!!"

Not sure what Ravens game you watched, but that isn't at all what happened. Baltimore was very, very disciplined in their edge defense and made Griffin hand the ball off, but they were not hitting him on the read option. (The Bengals did that though.) They hit him on passing plays, and that Nata hit which didn't come on a read option but on a scramble on a passing play.

Tebow wasn't the passing threat that Kap, Griffin and Wilson are/were/is. Vick didn't run this offense when he was in Atlanta.

I'm not saying that defense won't catch up or catch on to this. But its easy to say that you just tell the guy to "stay at home" or "go get the QB". Its a whole different thing for that edge guy to stay at home as Alfred Morris takes the ball and breaks off runs of 6, 5, 4, 6, 6, 4, 26 yards while you just stand there and watch. Eventually the competitive nature of the end guy will take over and he will abandon his assignment. It actually happened in the Ravens game, but Griffin was so conditioned to give the ball to Morris he missed the read.

I have no problem with EA adding this assist for the defender, but my problem will be when a DE/OLB with 20 awareness and 25 play recognition is supremely disciplined in his defense because of an audible/button press. Someone remind me when EA has introduced something in the game and it hasn't been overpowered in recent memory?

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 06-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #31
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
It is abhorrent in the sense that it is done in the heat of the moment as if you have a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other: the coach on the sideline or general in the fog of war, neither one has this immediate (real-time) command over displine.

It does not simulate the true to life playcalling strategy - it merely circumvents the decision making tree by chopping off nuanced branches.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #32
Rookie

jeffmanqb3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
Jeff, ratings distinguish discipline.

The QBs PA ability and offensive success/prowess in the run game will have an influence over your edge contain guy(s). On Defense it is your play recognition, awareness and pursuit.

It is not a foolproof strategy either way: the offense is also given a visual aide to help identify the reads in defense that signal when to hold on and when to let go.

I am not naive to understanding why they have given the offense and defense this ability but it is damn near spoon-feeding.

Why even have PRC? The ability to recognize and decipher deception and stay disciplined, if it can be so easily overriden. There is a recovery chance in the read option. If you fall for the bait you can still recover with pursuit or safety help - you have ten teammates.

I cannot fathom the sudden hand flailing when a mission fails.

In my experience, I will highlight coverage on the RB and put edge contain on the DEs or 34 edge rush LBs. I can also user the Safety. Is this plan of attack successful all the time? No, and that is as it should be.

I am aware this mechanism is not fool proof and defenders should still err but if the motions slowly develop well then it becomes a mini battle on both sides, kind of like a rock-papers-sissors match: this is not Football strategy.

I think we all agree that the new system should not result in perfect reads by defender everytime. However, I do not think the system puts training wheels on the defense. I should be able to tell my end to stay at home when he correctly reads the play. That is normal football strategy. Because I always play inside or middle linebacker I cannot use that strategy on current games.

Last edited by jeffmanqb3; 06-05-2013 at 07:34 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »