Home

Gameplay Producer Discusses NHL 14 Goalie Improvements, New Trailer Included

This is a discussion on Gameplay Producer Discusses NHL 14 Goalie Improvements, New Trailer Included within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
uhh you cant call it an improvement when that happens in NHL 13.

all those goals being scored were just normal nhl 13 goals. not because of screeening or getting the goalie out of position. just an excuse for all the same goals to go in.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Gameplay Producer Discusses NHL 14 Goalie Improvements, New Trailer Included

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrody

all those goals being scored were just normal nhl 13 goals. not because of screeening or getting the goalie out of position. just an excuse for all the same goals to go in.
Bang on my man! Every goal they showed here i can do in NHL 13...same goalie animations...wish this game had the goalies from 2k8
Old 07-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #11
ORIGINAL SIX FAN

13whitebread's Arena

OVR: 15
The video is a little bit of a reach. I don't see too much different IMPO
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #12
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Gameplay Producer Discusses NHL 14 Goalie Improvements, New Trailer Included

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
Already I see group celebrations left OUT again..
I thought the OS moderator, who was at E3, said that EA gave him a very strange answer as to why they removed group celebrations.
He never stated the reason, only that it was bizarre.
I didn't realize next-gen hardware was needed to make group hugs possible.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #13
MVP

ezio's Arena

OVR: 19
I hate the animation at the 1:40 mark in the Montreal clip. It was there in 13 and is still there now. That such a cheap way to give up a goal IMO.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #14
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26
What is being done about soft shots that provide the extremely unrealistic play where theyre is a dead reabound out infront and the goalie just gets out of the way. It happened on low soft shots with little power, or saucer passes into the pads. The puck would rebound softly in front, but the goalie would glide out of the way leaving an open net. This was a major exploit abused in 13. I want to hear how they fixed that, if they did at all
Old 07-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 24

Man, this is so disappointing. Looks exactly the same as NHL 11/12/13. And I echo everyone else's disappointment in group celebrations being out AGAIN despite everyone asking for it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #16
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrody

This is so correct. I honestly don't think ratings for goalies matter at all. Every goalie plays the same because they are programmed to, and there's only certain outcomes where goals go in. So basically even though a goalie has a rating of 95 for glove high, an 80 glove high will still play the exact same because goalies and scoring plays are programmed the same for everyone. The only time you can actually tell a difference in ratings is going from the NHL goalies to the CHL goalies because more goals go in. I just think the programming trumps the actual ratings in this game because it is all based on percentages. That goes for both goalies and players and that's why we don't see player differentiation. Until this game goes away from percentages and calculations for goal scoring, the only ratings differences we see will be ones that have to do with speed.

In this game the puck can only hit certain parts of the net. Those parts of the net are the middle, five hole (rarely), perfectly upper corner, and perfectly lower corner. There aren't any goals legitimately scored over the shoulder (closer to the goalies head), under the inside of the arms, under their pads (not 5 hole), or any other goals we see in real life. That's why all of the goal scoring feels the same and that's why all goalies play the same. The game is just so overly programmed for the puck to go in the same spots every time that the same things happen over and over again. This game needs to nail down the fact that the puck can hit any spot of the net and can beat the goalie anywhere. It would also be a breath of fresh air to actually see true to life net tension. Gone are the days of a baggy net where the puck automatically drops straight down.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »