Home

The State of PES

This is a discussion on The State of PES within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2013, 06:50 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: The State of PES

Of course, in the grand scheme, gameplay was never a problem for the franchise. The weak link has always been its visual elements.

Just the opposite. PES' gameplay has been a clunky, broken mess for years now, that's the #1 reason millions of football gamers abandoned PES and switched to FIFA the past seven years. They certainly didn't switch solely because FIFA supposedly looked better. Besides, graphics have never been the issue. Konami uses real-life color palettes and because of that the game looks much more life-like and realistic than FIFA. PES' stadium lighting and player faces are also superior to FIFA. The one weak-link visual element has been the outdated animations, which have less to do with visuals and more to do with the obsolete last-gen feel of PES' gameplay.

Last edited by Yeats; 07-12-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: The State of PES

The graphics were seemingly stuck in a time capsule during those first few years, remaining in the Xbox/PS2 era... This is where PES’ trump card, the Fox Engine, changes up the equation. If the much ballyhooed engine lives up to its billing, this will be the crucial reason as to why things are different this time around, and that the comeback is truly on.

This is what concerns me the most about all the next-gen chatter I read on sites like this one. It seems gamers today are mostly only interested in improved visuals. So much different than 15 years ago, when modding and achieving simulation gameplay was the priority with these sports games. It's a generational thing and the evolution of gaming in general I suppose now that online gameplay is the focus.

Last edited by Yeats; 07-12-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 18
Thank you so much for an article of real truth about PES. I guess being old school, gameplay is much more important than visuals (not to say they aren't important though) I've always believed that PES was on par with FIFA just due to the overwhelmingly better play by keepers and non-HUM controlled players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
PES is doing just fine. Better than FIFA last year, and looking much better this year. Sounds like they have made the editing options more accessible this year too, so the option file makers can work their magic. I can't wait.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxn8822
Not to hastily release the next-gen game is a very responsible and thoughtful decision on PES' part. I am glad they made this move.

I foresee the future as FIFA spiraling down while PES picks up the momentum and reclaim the soccer game crown.
I'm also glad that they made the decision to skip the next gen consoles for this years release. Transitioning to a new gameplay engine plus two new consoles is simply too big of a task to likely have a positive outcome. I think it's paramount that they make the most out of transitioning to the Fox Engine as that's ultimately going to decide the success or failure of the PES franchise for the foreseeable future. Sitting out this year should have a negligible effect anyways as the vast majority of people will still be playing on current gen consoles for at least the next year.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #14
MVP

sarlndr's Arena

OVR: 6
So getting this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »