Home

NHL 14 Video and Blog - Goal Scoring Balance Improvements

This is a discussion on NHL 14 Video and Blog - Goal Scoring Balance Improvements within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
NHL 14 Video and Blog - Goal Scoring Balance Improvements

EA Sports has posted another NHL 14 video and blog. This one showcases the variety in goal-scoring and A.I. improvements in player positioning in the offensive zone.

Below are some of the ways goal scoring balance has been improved in NHL 14.

Shots from the Point
  • Shots can now be flush against the ice (in previous years, there was always at least some height to the shot)
  • Teammates Avoid - AI players will recognize shooting scenarios (they will move earlier to positions for deflections/rebounds and do a better job avoiding shots on way to the net).
Deflections
  • Shots that are flush to the ice can now be deflected up off the ice and over the goalie.
  • Players recognize their own position in front of the net and will take that angle into account when trying for a deflection. (For example: They may try to pop it up more when closer to the net)
  • Players will try and deflect the puck to a location on the net that gives them a higher chance to score rather than just a random angle:
    • A shot to the top half of the net will be deflected downwards
    • When cheating to one side, players will try to deflect the puck to the opposite side of the goalie.
  • Players will try to gather the puck after a deflection in front of the net if they are in a bad spot to attempt a shot.
One-Timers
  • Goalies are less likely to get over and cover a one-timer if a player sells the shot before making a pass.
  • If a goalie has to move, or if a shooter is far outside of their original vision path, the less effective a goalie will be at reading the shot trajectory or velocity of a one-timer.
Puck Possession Intelligence
  • In setup situations, offensive players will have more urgency going after rebounds and won’t consider the puck turned over as quickly (especially when using an aggressive offensive strategy).
Shots from the slot
  • When you’re taking shots from the slot, the goalie will be unable to cover the entire net.
Breakaways
  • Goalies are now much more aware of the player’s body, the puck’s position and the handedness of the attacking player. They can now favor a player’s forehand, understanding what a player is capable of based on their current momentum.
  • If a goalie is reading deke from an attacking player he will sit deeper in net and it will be easier to beat him with a shot. However, he is also less likely to bite as much on a first move.
  • A quick shot can catch a goalie off-guard,especially if they are thinking pass or deke).

Source - NHL 14: Goal Scoring Balance Improvements (EA Sports)

Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360

Last edited by Money99; 07-15-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Rookie

don28's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: NHL 14 Goal Scoring Improvements

I saw it. I believe that we'll have to spend some time tweaking sliders in order for every game not to turn into a 10-8 scorefest. I'm not complaining, just stating that many of us can dominate the CPU AI at default settings. I'm looking forward to NHL 14. I like the intended goal score improvements; sometimes these things just don't work out the same for the hardcore players. But I think it will actually be good for the casual players.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 14 Goal Scoring Improvements

Some of that looked really good. They say a lot of the same crap every year and I always have trouble with the same things, like my own players blocking my shots or being able to beat the goalie five hole, but a couple of moments stood out in that video like Evander Kane (?) jumping over a shot from the point to let it get on net, and the way Luongo directed his rebound off to the corner.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Rookie

Re: NHL 14 Video and Blog - Goal Scoring Balance Improvements

As long as the goalies are stopping routine shots, goal variety is welcomed. The lack of variety though is more an online issue than offline, so I hope we can tune the goalies properly for offline.

I still see the goalies doing that popup animation after certain saves.

The one issue I have is that they talk about the offensive team being aware of shots, but nothing about the defence trying to clear the front of the net so the goalie can see the puck.

Last edited by drog1602; 07-15-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 7

Loved the Bruins forward going to the post and deflecting the shot in, that was awesome. Agreed on Kane getting out of the way. These additions could be huge as long as our offensive teammates actually cycle and move toward open space, as opposed to standing still in front of the net.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
Rookie

CaptainSuperman's Arena

Love that slap shots can stay on the ice, and that puck possession teams will not give up after a turnover.

Obviously I don't expect everything to be perfect, ever, but that first deflection goal at :30 looked bad. It looked like it was on the ice and deflected through the pads. Maybe it's just me though,
Old 07-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
Pro

emericaridr11's Arena

OVR: 9

does this mean we can do the some what Newly popular deke then pop in the 5hole....

not too much but looks awesome i say
Old 07-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 15

love how you can deflect the puck up now.
that was in hitzpro and it was awesome for goal variety. you could also actually slow down slapshots with deflections in hitz pro which would create change up type goals. i hope those type of deflections are in as well

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »