Home

EA Sports License Extended with CLC For Three More Years, Starting July 1, 2014

This is a discussion on EA Sports License Extended with CLC For Three More Years, Starting July 1, 2014 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
EA Sports License Extended with CLC For Three More Years, Starting July 1, 2014

According to Joystiq, EA Sports has extended their non-exclusive license with the Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) for three more years, starting July 1st, 2014. As everyone knows by now, the NCAA has decided not to renew their contract with EA Sports, but it's not quite as big of a deal that people thought it was going to be when it was first announced.

The CLC handles the licensing for the college teams, stadiums, logos, conferences, bowl games, etc. With the NCAA out of the picture, we simply won't see the NCAA name or logos in the game or on the box.

UPDATE: Confirmed by Samit Sarkar of Polygon.

Quote:
A representative for the CLC declined to provide information on the financial terms of the agreement. In response to a question asking why the organization is continuing its relationship with EA when the NCAA is backing out because of legal troubles that all three groups share, the rep told Polygon, "There's no reason to discontinue the game, which has been, and is, in compliance with rules regulating college football.
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: EA Sports Licensed Extended with CLC For Three Years, Starting July 1, 2014

Glad to hear, hopefully they get a long term deal with the other licensing company (I forget it's name) as well.
NCAA: The College of William and Mary Tribe

William and Mary Class of 2018!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13

I'm surprised by this but I shouldn't be...the power of money, but the same problem still exists. One video game publisher holding all the cards (for now) to publish the only licensed college football game on the market. We keep our college football game, but does it get better?

Hopefully the fact that it it's non-exclusive will encourage other devs to jump in the mix.

Last edited by Sundown2600; 07-19-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 7

As expected... This means as of July 1, 2014, any other company has a chance to negotiate with the CLC for their own game as well.

If 2K decided to do another college game, we COULD see it as early as 2015. EA still has exclusive rights though through 2014 though
Old 07-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
Banned

Methusalah's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown2600
I'm surprised by this but I shouldn't be...the power of money, but the same problem still exists. One video game publisher holding all the cards (for now) to publish the only licensed college football game on the market. We keep our college football game, but does it get better?

Hopefully the fact that it it's non-exclusive will encourage other devs to jump in the mix.

Not sure we can expect that. College games take far more development time than NFL games due to the significant difference in the volume of teams, and sell less copies.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
What? No? This can't be. I though the obannon lawsuit would be the end of the series. I can't believe hundreds of universities and one of the biggest game companies in the world would continue to get revenue from a profitable game.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
Pro

huntt26's Arena

OVR: 11

So does this licensing company come with any restrictions?

For example, the NCAA said 'no' to tearing down the goal posts, storming the field and off-field infractions. Maybe those can be in the game now?
Old 07-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntt26
So does this licensing company come with any restrictions?

For example, the NCAA said 'no' to tearing down the goal posts, storming the field and off-field infractions. Maybe those can be in the game now?
Those can all be... but still up to universities approval.

I doubt universities want to endorse tearing down goal posts and infractions... they don't want fans to think "hey they approved it in the game, so we can do it in real life!".

And highly prestigious schools (you know, the ones that think their sh!t doesn't stink) will not want infractions. Notre Dame, Penn State, Stanford, Army, Navy, BYU won't go for things like that.

Miami might certainly ask for them

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »