Home

NHL 14 - True Performance Skating Improvements Add Defensive Strafing, Quicker Pivots

This is a discussion on NHL 14 - True Performance Skating Improvements Add Defensive Strafing, Quicker Pivots within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: NHL 14 - True Performance Skating Improvements Add Defensive Strafing, Quicker Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
EA seems to be addressing a lot of problems i didnt like about last years game. Overall i liked nhl 13 (i thought it was one of the best sports games ever) but every now n then there were things that would take away from the experience (dumb line changes, defenders slowly turning around, poor ai decisions). There really isnt a huge, major change or addition this year but all the little tweaks should make for a better and more enjoyable game of hockey.
I agree that all of the changes are needed and they're all welcome. I just can't help but want more. I hope that the reason why we aren't getting many additions this year is because they've been working on their next gen title. I now have very high expectations for next year.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: NHL 14 - True Performance Skating Improvements Add Defensive Strafing, Quicker Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hf199
We need to hear about Presentation! I'm starting to think that they did nothing on this and waiting for next gen
I'll answer that for you right now. They didn't do anything with presentation, and if they did it's minuscule. They haven't done much with presentation for the past 3 or 4 years so they are definitely not going to start doing so now before next gen. My suggestion would just be to forget about any improvements to presentation, Be A GM, or any other cosmetic changes. EA doesn't work on those areas during the middle of a console cycle, much less the end of one. If what EA has been releasing is true, they've actually modified the game more than I thought they would.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 07-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hf199
We need to hear about Presentation! I'm starting to think that they did nothing on this and waiting for next gen
I think you are right about that. I am hoping that with the great base they have for gameplay already going into next gen, that a major focus will be to change the presentation. The lack of memory should not be an issue on next gen, however, if they can have way more stats and being able to track multiple season stats then I would gladly keep the same old boring presentation they have now. TBH I just skip everything anyway.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
Rookie

Garism's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by speels
I think you are right about that. I am hoping that with the great base they have for gameplay already going into next gen, that a major focus will be to change the presentation. The lack of memory should not be an issue on next gen, however, if they can have way more stats and being able to track multiple season stats then I would gladly keep the same old boring presentation they have now. TBH I just skip everything anyway.
I skip everything too.

Cut scenes.. tbh.. i'll rather they even take that out. I don't want every stoppage I have to watch a highlight. I just want to play the game. Put all the highlights at the end of the period or even game.

The reason why as a goalie I throw pucks out is I dont want to watch those highlights (unless I feel like the team really needs a reset). I dont even care if I let in a goal sometimes.

A 5-min per period game turns into a 30 minute game because of penalties and stoppages. You know what I'm talking about in EASHL drop in games.

Back on topic, loving the strafing & quicker pivot. The pivot is a nice fix because you know those 180 degree turn when you have no speed. It takes completely forever.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
MVP

gator3guy's Arena

As someone who plays almost exclusively EASHL, and as a defenseman at that, these changes are joyful to see. Couldn't tell you how many times I wanted to punch my TV when the center would win a faceoff back to me and my guy would get caught in that "mud" animation and take 3 seconds to take a stride, meanwhile the opposing winger is on a breakaway before I know what hits me. The strafing is also nice to see. Hopefully this minimizes the awful tripping penalties. Now if only they could stop pucks from going through my player.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #14
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator3guy
As someone who plays almost exclusively EASHL, and as a defenseman at that, these changes are joyful to see. Couldn't tell you how many times I wanted to punch my TV when the center would win a faceoff back to me and my guy would get caught in that "mud" animation and take 3 seconds to take a stride, meanwhile the opposing winger is on a breakaway before I know what hits me. The strafing is also nice to see. Hopefully this minimizes the awful tripping penalties. Now if only they could stop pucks from going through my player.
I really wish they would add in the stick collisions and all other types of collisions. Rammer said they tried adding it in but they didn't like the feel of it. I don't know if I believe that. I think it was just too much work for them to get perfect so they didn't add it. Full collisions is what this series is missing. You should be rewarded for playing good positional defense by staying in front of the player and the puck, not trashed for it because the EA devs like goal fests.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #15
Pro

emericaridr11's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
I really wish they would add in the stick collisions and all other types of collisions. Rammer said they tried adding it in but they didn't like the feel of it. I don't know if I believe that. I think it was just too much work for them to get perfect so they didn't add it. Full collisions is what this series is missing. You should be rewarded for playing good positional defense by staying in front of the player and the puck, not trashed for it because the EA devs like goal fests.
yeah didnt he say it was causing to many loose pucks.... haha i laughed, that would be awesome for more loose pucks....

those butts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
Next gen hockey needs to have:

1) Live stick physics (no more clipping and ghosting).

2) All stick checking moved to the right joystick for full range of motion.

Putting hitting on the right joystick is just a waste. All you need is a simple button press to prepare your player's body for a hit.

But stick checking needs directional input to go with the button command. Otherwise you just get what we have now, where your stick flails out in a random direction with a preset animation, which produces incredibly unrealistic results.

Under the current system, the puck can be right in front of you in perfect defensive position, but once you press the poke check or stick lift buttons, you are at the mercy of a dice roll, and have just as much chance of slashing or tripping the puck carrier for no reason other than the game is programmed to stick check in a random direction.

Stick checking success right now is almost entirely based on player ratings (discipline, stick checking) rather than user input (proper positioning, timing).

Last edited by jyoung; 07-28-2013 at 03:19 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »