Home

25 Days of Madden: The Vision Cone

This is a discussion on 25 Days of Madden: The Vision Cone within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
25 Days of Madden: The Vision Cone

Throughout the Madden franchises' history, there have been a lot of feature which were hotly debated.

Few generated quite the uproar that the vision cone did when it was implemented in Madden NFL 06. The 'QB Vision Control' feature was polarizing, with people on either side giving numerous reasons why the cone was or was not the game-changing feature the franchise required.

For those who don't remember, the vision cone featured a cone of light on the field of play which denoted the QB's vision of the field. Better QBs had a very wide cone, which covered most of the field. Worse QBs had very narrow cones, giving the better QBs a clear leg up in the game.

However, controlling the cone with the right stick while moving the QB with the left stick proved too much for some gamers. Others simply hated the look and/or implementation of the feature.

With such a polarizing presence, the vision cone was scrapped entirely with no attempts to revive it or anything similar within the series since it's disappearance.

Where did/do you stand on the vision cone debate? Should it make a reappearance as a required feature within the game?
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Pro

majesty95's Arena

OVR: 18
I liked the concept but it was too hard to control.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
MVP

cthurt's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: 25 Days of Madden: The Vision Cone

Well with the high accuracy of the QBs in the current madden games i wouldnt mind it coming back with a better way to control it, becuase using both joysticks while trying not to get sacked was pretty hard unless you had Peyton Manning lol.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0
I loved it, made elite qb actually elite apposed to just having a cannon for an arm. However it was really hard playing as a rookie qb, and made the learning curve for new people just that much harder. Wish it wasn't gone.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Rookie

bodymore's Arena

OVR: 4

One way to implement it would be to require selecting a button twice to throw. The first click is basically telling the quarterback to look at the X receiver then next button click would actually throw it to that reciever. You could also have it where the primary reciever in the route only requires pressing the button only one time. You could maybe delay the response time between the clicks for lower rated passers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 8

Best feature ever!
Using the right stick was not the only way to control it.
By hold down R2 then pressing the icon of the wr the cone would go to that wr.
LA DODGERS
Old 08-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
Pro

TalenT's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat boi Q
Best feature ever!
Using the right stick was not the only way to control it.
By hold down R2 then pressing the icon of the wr the cone would go to that wr.
Yep. I was gonna mention that too. It was awesome to me. It really made a difference you felt the disparity between good & bad QBs. I'm a Dolphin fan and it was brutal because I believe AJ Feeley was under center for us that year LOL

XBOXONE GT: TalenT3Point0
Old 08-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0
Loved the cone! Best feature in a long time. Forced you to make reads and look at progression. You couldn't run straight back and chuck the ball down field. It was the closest thing to playing QB. Wish they would have left it optional for real sim players. Madden 06(Xbox) was my favorite of all time. Played many online seasons with friends using spawn game feature. Bring that back!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »