Home

Behind the Scenes of NBA 2K14 with Steve Kerr

This is a discussion on Behind the Scenes of NBA 2K14 with Steve Kerr within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #17
MVP

Eman5805's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Behind the Scenes of NBA 2K14 with Steve Kerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
Clark Kellogg was a commentator for the Pacers and does NCAA basketball commentary, but he freakin sucks in 2K.

Kevin Harlan is also a great commentator IRL, but he's so-so on 2K. Mostly because, for some reason, they tell him to announce the result of EVERY free throw (instead of just talking about something else, since FTs aren't that important except down the stretch), and he doesn't get hyped like he does IRL when a player catches fire and drops 40-50. He also doesn't react as emotionally as he should for big clutch shots or amazing plays.

"Ray Allen has been a flamethrower!"
"Buckle up for LeBron James!"
"Blake Griffin climbing the ladder and slamming home the alley-oop!"
"Look at Ginobili slither inside and finish for two and the foul!"

And of course...

"KOBE BRYANT WITH NO REGARD FOR HUMAN LIFE!"

You never hear anything like that from him in 2K.
Replicating high emotion? Now that is the hard thing to do. And actually does require some acting chops.

Not to mention the lines as scripted aren't so crisp.

"Now that was a dunk."

It's dialogue a la George Lucas. The equivalent of having a little kid literally say "Yippie!" It's something you'd use to describe a kid being happy or a person giving excited color commentary, but you don't ever hear people say it.

But for the most part, Steve Kerr or Harlan are doing their jobs as normal.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #18
ORIGINAL SIX FAN

13whitebread's Arena

OVR: 15
I'll say it again I wish the NHL series would have commentary like 2k does. It just sounds like an NBA broadcasted game. Literally nothing new on the NHL front that's what I like about the 2 k series they have been bringing it every year props.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 3

2k has decent commentary I just hope it isn't as repetitive and doesn't have as much of a gap this year in between the commentary
Old 08-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 1

2K's commentary has been top notch for a long time but Kerr's addition really made them untouchable. He's so knowledgeable and sounds so natural, and I love that he's allowed to be critical of teams and players and even fans (Oracle Mullin Night Debacle).

Damon Bruce's halftime show is fantastic, too.

Harlan and Kellogg are solid, but it'd be nice to hear Harlan's off the cuff comments as opposed to his rather restrained announcing in 2K.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 6

I hope Kellogg does not come back for 2k14, not a fan of him, he doesn't really add anything

Of course 2k giving him the same dialogue/phrases for 2k 13 like in the previous years didn't help either
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2013, 02:35 AM   #22
Rookie

Icxikul's Arena

OVR: 0

I really don't get why you guys hate on Clark Kellogg so much. He's the most exciting part of the commentary. All the guys are good at there designated comments throughout the game. It's as if they complement each other. I've always kept the commentary on even when it gets repetitive. Some things that are said never gets old (just not yet).
Old 08-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icxikul
I really don't get why you guys hate on Clark Kellogg so much. He's the most exciting part of the commentary. All the guys are good at there designated comments throughout the game. It's as if they complement each other. I've always kept the commentary on even when it gets repetitive. Some things that are said never gets old (just not yet).
"Ammonia strong!"
"Stat-sheet stuffer SUPREME!"
"Brain neutral."
"Spurtability."
"[calling the basketball 'The orange,' or 'The pumpkin']"
"Room-service dime."

And his commentary sounds terribly unnatural. Like he's behind a desk at TNT halftime instead of watching a game.

Remember when Barkley tried to do commentary on TNT once? Kellogg is worse.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #24
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
"Ammonia strong!"
"Stat-sheet stuffer SUPREME!"
"Brain neutral."
"Spurtability."
"[calling the basketball 'The orange,' or 'The pumpkin']"
"Room-service dime."

And his commentary sounds terribly unnatural. Like he's behind a desk at TNT halftime instead of watching a game.

Remember when Barkley tried to do commentary on TNT once? Kellogg is worse.
So you just want boring he passed the ball to whom lines ? LOL he really isn't that bad and the combination of the whole team from a videogame perspective is really top notch.

That is his delivery style if you have ever heard him live that is the flavor he brings to the table. It's no different then people wanting more "right between the eyes" from Harlen. That's the flavor or originality he brings to the game.

And say what you will but clark DELIVERS his lines. You mentioned Barkley. What about Kenny ? HE was turrible. His line delivery was extremely suspect and you seem to want to put Clark in THAT category which to me borders on hyperbole.

If you don't like his style I can understand that but he delivers his lines very very well IMO and the broadcast is the best it has been in the series IMO.
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »