Home

FIFA 14 Video - Pure Shot and Real Ball Physics

This is a discussion on FIFA 14 Video - Pure Shot and Real Ball Physics within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: FIFA 14 Video - Pure Shot and Real Ball Physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareBooster
I picked up PES 2013 during the Steam Summer Sale too. Before this I'd never played a PES game and since it was on sale I figured I'd check it out. I played a few games as North London (didn't realize how much the licensing mattered to me till now) and I haven't touched it since then.
The feel of the shooting mechanics and ball physics in FIFA have always been the biggest attraction for me, just so superior IMO to any other soccer game, present or past. To me, that's ground zero as far as what keeps me playing any sports game. I can live with inferior graphics and even clunky animations, but if the basics of the sport itself don't feel right (passing, shooting and throwing the soccer ball, football, puck, etc.) then I lose interest fast.

My one concern with the info above is that EA may make it too easy to get good shots away and on target. I never use the finesse button for example because it feels to me like a cheat, like auto-aim in a FPS or something. Hopefully these additions to FIFA 14 are properly balanced in that regard.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
The feel of the shooting mechanics and ball physics in FIFA have always been the biggest attraction for me, just so superior IMO to any other soccer game, present or past. To me, that's ground zero as far as what keeps me playing any sports game. I can live with inferior graphics and even clunky animations, but if the basics of the sport itself don't feel right (passing, shooting and throwing the soccer ball, football, puck, etc.) then I lose interest fast.

My one concern with the info above is that EA may make it too easy to get good shots away and on target. I never use the finesse button for example because it feels to me like a cheat, like auto-aim in a FPS or something. Hopefully these additions to FIFA 14 are properly balanced in that regard.
I had some concern about this too, but then I remembered that teammate intelligence was improved and more importantly precision movement, both of these combined should at least in theory make it much more difficult to get off clean shots, hopefully balancing everything out. Plus, pure shot and real ball physics won't necessarily make it easier to score, it may just add more variety. All in all with all of the new features I'm pretty excited to see how it all shakes out.
As for PES, I really tried to like it last year, forcing myself to play game after game in the hopes that I'd grow accustomed to it and learn to like it but in the end it just felt second rate, I hate that floaty ball and from what I've seen it's in 14 as well.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
I had some concern about this too, but then I remembered that teammate intelligence was improved and more importantly precision movement, both of these combined should at least in theory make it much more difficult to get off clean shots, hopefully balancing everything out.
Good point yes, and between the new shot mechanics/physics and the addition of precision movement, FIFA 14 just might be worth the purchase after all. I've kind of written FIFA 14 off the past couple of months, but if implemented correctly those additions would make upgrading worthwhile.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #12

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
As for PES, I really tried to like it last year, forcing myself to play game after game in the hopes that I'd grow accustomed to it and learn to like it but in the end it just felt second rate, I hate that floaty ball and from what I've seen it's in 14 as well.
I played PES 2013 for a good 2 months, convinced it was the best soccer game ever, but then I came to realize that it isn't even as good as PES 2012. I don't mind the floaty ball physics, actually I kind of like how difficult it is to keep shots on target, but once you play the game for long enough you realize just how little variety there is from match to match. I'm optimistic about 14, though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »