Home

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 Video - Tutorial 3: Heart

This is a discussion on Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 Video - Tutorial 3: Heart within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 Video - Tutorial 3: Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
I would say the current form system is much more realistic, even if it is more arbitrary in its execution (an issue with the game coding, not the system itself). With the form system, high form players have high form ratings, and players with a history of form issues have low form ratings. It's a simulation-based system that takes into account players' real-life performance history.

It's certainly more realistic and sim than having every single player in the game gain or lose confidence, depending on his performance. What's that based on? What aspect of this Heart system takes into account each individual player's real-life performance history and psychological makeup?

A system whereby all players gain/lose an equal amount of confidence isn't realistic, bottom line. There are players and, by extension, teams who NEVER allow game circumstances to negatively affect and impact their performance. It's just not in their psyche and mindset. Truth is that's one of the key factors that separates most professional athletes from weekend sports schmoes like us.
In essence I feel like it is basically form, except it will just be dynamic for players during a match.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKPound
In essence I feel like it is basically form, except it will just be dynamic for players during a match.
So you imagine different players will react differently to success/adversity, depending on their form or psyche rating or what have you?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
MVP

Looks like game on for me once more, yippee; just read this over at Evo-Web:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav1
Oh. By the way men, HEART is able to be turned off!!

Santi329 ‏@Santi329 5h

@Adam_Bhatti hey adam, is there any chance to give us the option to disable Heart AND conditional arrows in offline leagues with friends?

Adam Bhatti ‏@Adam_Bhatti 5h
@Santi329 yes there is an option
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
I wouldn't, and mostly because the idea that a player's confidence or morale suddenly plummets just because he missed a tackle or let in a goal or whatever, is IMO silly to start with. These are pro athletes; they don't get discouraged and start to mope when things go wrong. If anything, the reverse is true; that's when a pro picks up his game. Regardless, what's next? Hit X to initiate pep talk or group hug?

I'm perfectly happy the current system where individual players' gameday form, energy, etc. is displayed before kickoff. I have no interest in anything more than that.
That's not always 100% true. I would say that for the elite pros this holds true but teams confidence can be battered.

What video games have trouble emulating across all sports is the fact that pro athletes make mistakes. I think users can handle when the player they're controlling makes a mistake as a result of button input but when the RB they aren't controlling keeps the CPU winger onside which results in a lobbed pass-cross-goal it infuriates the user.

Team chemistry, player form, team form, home-field advantage, etc... needs to be in the game because it exists in real-life. I like the effort Konami is producing in trying to replicate these. They might not be perfect but the fact that they are addressing it instead of hiding behind conspiracies (right or wrong, I don't really have an opinion on scripting) makes me happy.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
Team chemistry, player form, team form, home-field advantage, etc... needs to be in the game because it exists in real-life. I like the effort Konami is producing in trying to replicate these.
Not trying to be critical here, but IMO that list is symptomatic of the general problem with today's sports games. The past decade -- current-gen specifically -- has been a disaster for sports gaming. Apart from The Show and NBA2K, no developer has been able to create what could be called a reasonably decent sports sim. It started back in the early 2000's when game developers lead by EA moved away from a focus on advancing the gameplay, to spending most of their development time adding extraneous content such as real faces, real kits, tattoos (!), realistic crowd animations (?!), create-a-fan (!!!), etc. and you name it.

And yes, I consider the addition of team momentum and player confidence programming to be extraneous, especially when we're still waiting for a football game that just gets the basics right... that truly replicates the sense of players running, stopping, turning, kicking, physically interacting, etc. It's 2013 and players in these games still stop on a dime, spin in a circle with the ball glued to their feet, morph thru another player's leg or torso as they avoid a tackle, and so forth.

How many years for example have we been waiting for Konami to fix the shooting so it doesn't feel like you're kicking a balloon? Or with FIFA: I have players' speed, agility and acceleration edited to 1, yet every player chasing down an attacker can still spin and pivot like an ice dancer. For me it's a priority issue. Adding more and more features when, year in and year out, the core gameplay is so flawed and lacking in realism, is the problem and not the solution.

Last edited by Yeats; 08-16-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #14
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

It's unrealistic to expect any developer to solely focus on gameplay w/o upgrading graphics, game modes, etc...

I can't pretend to know how EA or Konami pool their resources when it comes to graphics vs core gameplay but I understand that gameplay alone doesn't move units. For video games featuring professional players I expect the players to look like their real-life counterparts. I don't think that's asking too much, especially with the impending move to Next-Gen where both developers seem to be setting things up in order to not make the same mistakes as they did during the last move.

I think we're in the same boat when it comes to what we want in a footy game but we're in the minority Yeats. Because I've come to expect it doesn't mean I like it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »