Home

Madden NFL 25 - Breaking Down the Ratings For Receivers

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 25 - Breaking Down the Ratings For Receivers within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
MVP

infemous's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Madden 25 Blog: How WR ratings work in Madden NFL 25

These blogs still go no way to alleviating the real issues of how ratings such as strength play into the WR position, or Jump vs SPC?

How do these ratings actually play out?
What do they effect? What are specific situations?

Why are they telling us stuff we already know isn't true???

It all seems to me that Donny Moore and Tiburon have tinkered with their own engine so much that they simply do not know what or how the ratings work any more.

If this is the case, M25 on Next Gen is still going to be doomed, as it runs on the same engine STILL.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

It's pointless to get upset or frustrated about this stuff anymore, Madden is just an inferior sports game that uses ratings to directly determine outcomes, not to determine the varying animations that lead to those outcomes. I don't believe those ratings even work as described in the write up but even if they did, it still wouldn't be based on receivers with different ratings animating any different from each other.

I just don't understand why a receiver with 50 RTE versus a defender in man with 90 MCV doesn't mean that the receiver has less skilled technique/animations for running routes than the defender for man coverage. The lesser rated receiver should have more wasted motion, making it harder for them to get in/out of breaks, whereas the high coverage rated defender has less wasted motion, is able to change direction better, allowing them to blanket the less skilled player. That wouldn't mean that the lesser skilled receiver never gets a step on or fakes out the better defender, it would just mean the defender would have a better chance of recovering quickly when it does. Next-gen Madden doesn't even represent football on that basic level so I hope for M25 on the new consoles they began to talk about they added tons more animations for varying skill sets.

Also it's funny how AWR for receivers didn't get explained, it likely doesn't matter at all. So if that's the case, then what difference is the improved player AI touted for the new consoles going to make if AWR only matters for QBs? How about AWR for receivers determining things like the receiver becoming the defender to break up potential INTs, kicking/pushing fumbles out of bounds so they are not recovered by the defense, adjusting their route when the QB is scrambling/in trouble, reading defenses on option routes, finding holes in zone defenses to "sit down" in, etc?

It would be nice to have a mature NFL football game, with some depth.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 8

To me it's more about the route then the player.
On madden any wr can be a beast when doing certain route all day long.
You can give me any wr playing a five minute game no matter the defense and I make him look like Calvin Johnson. Only difference in wr is catching because low catch rating they will drop more passing.
LA DODGERS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 0
Lol. OS guys sure can scare someone off a game. Im really just in denial about Madden. I know its not worth my money. But I just cant leave Madden. I love the competition against others. EA knows they will do their numbers. So they could careless about making ratings matter. Millions still will buy with or without penalities. Its sad. It wouldnt be so bad if we have not seen certain aspects of football implemented in other games. PI worked pretty well in the Sega days wat happened? The animations of 2k. Also damn near every penalty too. More stat catergories. Thats what irks me. I used to chalk up things because i thought it couldnt be done. But alot the stuff we asking for has been done before by EA or another company.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 25
Aside from a few ratings ... The ratings are meaningless.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Madden NFL 25 - Breaking Down the Ratings For Receivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Introvese
Lol. OS guys sure can scare someone off a game. Im really just in denial about Madden. I know its not worth my money. But I just cant leave Madden. I love the competition against others. EA knows they will do their numbers. So they could careless about making ratings matter. Millions still will buy with or without penalities. Its sad. It wouldnt be so bad if we have not seen certain aspects of football implemented in other games. PI worked pretty well in the Sega days wat happened? The animations of 2k. Also damn near every penalty too. More stat catergories. Thats what irks me. I used to chalk up things because i thought it couldnt be done. But alot the stuff we asking for has been done before by EA or another company.
This post right here lays it out well, in order to tolerate Madden, one has to accept inferior aspects, that have been done better in the past. That's why you see posts saying "I will avoid the boards" because it makes it easier for some to accept mediocrity.

I would love to be able to turn a blind eye to these things but there is simply no aspect of the game that allows me the distraction. Presentation is disjointed, the career modes are severely lacking, User customization is limited and online ranked is the standard for cheese play, there isn't even a true Coach Mode. The main saving grace of Madden is external, meaning either using your imagination and creativity to enjoy offline Franchise or finding a good group of gamers to enjoy an online Franchise.

Yeah it's time to back away from posting again for awhile because all I'm doing is crying a river about the same ole stuff at this point.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #15
MVP

infemous's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
It's pointless to get upset or frustrated about this stuff anymore, Madden is just an inferior sports game that uses ratings to directly determine outcomes, not to determine the varying animations that lead to those outcomes. I don't believe those ratings even work as described in the write up but even if they did, it still wouldn't be based on receivers with different ratings animating any different from each other.

I just don't understand why a receiver with 50 RTE versus a defender in man with 90 MCV doesn't mean that the receiver has less skilled technique/animations for running routes than the defender for man coverage. The lesser rated receiver should have more wasted motion, making it harder for them to get in/out of breaks, whereas the high coverage rated defender has less wasted motion, is able to change direction better, allowing them to blanket the less skilled player. That wouldn't mean that the lesser skilled receiver never gets a step on or fakes out the better defender, it would just mean the defender would have a better chance of recovering quickly when it does. Next-gen Madden doesn't even represent football on that basic level so I hope for M25 on the new consoles they began to talk about they added tons more animations for varying skill sets.

Also it's funny how AWR for receivers didn't get explained, it likely doesn't matter at all. So if that's the case, then what difference is the improved player AI touted for the new consoles going to make if AWR only matters for QBs? How about AWR for receivers determining things like the receiver becoming the defender to break up potential INTs, kicking/pushing fumbles out of bounds so they are not recovered by the defense, adjusting their route when the QB is scrambling/in trouble, reading defenses on option routes, finding holes in zone defenses to "sit down" in, etc?

It would be nice to have a mature NFL football game, with some depth.
This is exactly how the game should animate.

There was a great post not too long ago that basically said ratings should determine a player's ability to reach a certain quality of animation.

Its as simple as that.

There is SOME hope because of the new Run Free thing that basically does as much, but on a very small aspect of the game.
If this is implemented on a wider level, we should see the sort of progression that is owed to us.

You're also so right about AWR for WRs. I've been wanting my WRs to sit in zones for the last 3 years, but alas, they run right into the oncoming defender and drop the pass...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #16
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Madden NFL 25 - Breaking Down the Ratings For Receivers

Speed and Catching is the only ratings that matters for receivers to be successful in this game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »