Home

FIFA 14 Videos & Screenshots - Living Worlds Trailer & Gameplay (PS4, Xbox One)

This is a discussion on FIFA 14 Videos & Screenshots - Living Worlds Trailer & Gameplay (PS4, Xbox One) within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #25
Rookie

Gnemi's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: FIFA 14 Videos - Living Worlds Trailer & Gameplay (PS4, Xbox One)

Attacking:
If there's a change to the "feel" factor of player movement / momentum AND if I'm able to score a significantly wider variety of goals with any degree of certainty, I'll be happy. I don't have a bunch of data to support my argument mind you, but I'd hazard a guess that 80% of my goals look identical. Wingers cutting in and abusing fullbacks to find a wide-open look on goal OR deflections that my strikers clean up.

With '13, it was a micro-step forward from '12 in terms of playing against AI (the only mode I care about).

The only way I can conceive of scoring goals with more variety in '13 is by learning the Finishing Moves, I mean dribbling nonsense. That's just the thing though: I refuse. I have attackers who can dribble and I'll use double triggers and sprint to utilize their abilities, but to go so far as remembering the fireball combo dribbling moves, that's when I tap out.

So, will long distance shots be more common than Haley's comet? Will my attacking teammates actually go on non-idiotic runs through the AI defense? Will crosses actually reach 6'6" attackers being defended by 5'9" defenders? These are the things that really matter to me.

Defending:
Yeah, I admit, defending is pretty monotone and dull. Use contain, stay in front of defenders, safely shoulder tackle when you have the chance. Rinse-n-repeat. There's nothing remotely intelligent about defending in FIFA.

Oh, and please don't let me rely on my keeper having 7.5+ performance game in and game out. That's dogged FIFA for the last few years, certainly for '12 and '13. Even my keepers with 70 OVR tend to be beasts and sliders are only marginally helpful in that regard.

If EA make the AI earn their goals and make me defend intelligently and if EA don't rely on the AI scoring CHEAP goals, I'll be happy. Even if they try to accomplish these things, I'll be happier.

Last edited by Gnemi; 08-21-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #26
Pro

NightmareBooster's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: FIFA 14 Videos - Living Worlds Trailer & Gameplay (PS4, Xbox One)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalsanto0026
And an example of the cinical mindset of so many gamers today.
To correct you, mine is the personal opinion of an informed consumer, but allow me to elaborate. I don't know how long you've been playing the FIFA series for but I've played every iteration since 2006 and over the years I've become familiar with how EA markets their products. They're campaign is always based on visually impressive eye candy along with buzzwords that make incremental additions to gameplay seem like brand new features, and I welcome anyone who disagrees to provide evidence as to the contrary.

For example, look at the rear box-art for FIFAs 11, 12, & 13, each of which boasts new features, then tell me how the core gameplay between them is dramatically different. This is not to say that the game hasn't improved, however, faults within the gameplay that existed 3 years ago (poor defending AI, ninja dribbling, collision detection, etc.) still exist, and they drag down the on-pitch experience. When you couple that with the quote from the EA rep about how the Ignite Engine's improvements are mostly visual, why would I expect next-gen FIFA 14's GAMEPLAY, not it's visuals, to be much better than current-gen?

Long story short, what I stated above, along with the fact that to date EA has spoken a great deal about gameplay improvements without showing much gameplay, leaves me skeptical considering their track record. If you perceive that to be representative of the cynical mindset of today's gamers, then I'm sorry to have offended you.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #27
Banned

Profit89's Arena

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareBooster
To correct you, mine is the personal opinion of an informed consumer, but allow me to elaborate. I don't know how long you've been playing the FIFA series for but I've played every iteration since 2006 and over the years I've become familiar with how EA markets their products. They're campaign is always based on visually impressive eye candy along with buzzwords that make incremental additions to gameplay seem like brand new features, and I welcome anyone who disagrees to provide evidence as to the contrary.

For example, look at the rear box-art for FIFAs 11, 12, & 13, each of which boasts new features, then tell me how the core gameplay between them is dramatically different. This is not to say that the game hasn't improved, however, faults within the gameplay that existed 3 years ago (poor defending AI, ninja dribbling, collision detection, etc.) still exist, and they drag down the on-pitch experience. When you couple that with the quote from the EA rep about how the Ignite Engine's improvements are mostly visual, why would I expect next-gen FIFA 14's GAMEPLAY, not it's visuals, to be much better than current-gen?

Long story short, what I stated above, along with the fact that to date EA has spoken a great deal about gameplay improvements without showing much gameplay, leaves me skeptical considering their track record. If you perceive that to be representative of the cynical mindset of today's gamers, then I'm sorry to have offended you.
+1

Totally agree. That's exactly how EA operate.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #28
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Re: FIFA 14 Videos & Screenshots - Living Worlds Trailer & Gameplay (PS4, Xbox One)

Just added some hi-res screenshots to the OP.
Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 12
Smile Re: FIFA 14 Videos - Living Worlds Trailer & Gameplay (PS4, Xbox One)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareBooster

I'm familiar with EAs marketing, and I agree with your comments, but for once I'm actually feeling positive about some of their sports titles. Maybe that 's just me looking forward to nexr gen.

I didn't take offense to your comment.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #30
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: FIFA 14 Videos & Screenshots - Living Worlds Trailer & Gameplay (PS4, Xbox One)

Just saw some videos on YouTube posted today of full games played with the demo(current gen) and coming from a guys who's played 13 a ton, the differences are immediately noticeable. Off the ball the defense is definitely better marking wise. On the ball it's tough to tell because its player v player. The overall pace is also slower. Overall after watching it in motion I'm pretty optimistic.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #31
Pro

NightmareBooster's Arena

OVR: 2

Don't get me wrong, I'm still looking forward to current-gen FIFA 14. I enjoy 13, still play it, and I'm excite about the addition of new leagues (fingers crossed for CM improvements). However, I still remember the Madden 2006 fiasco and as EA haven't said anything about Ignite addressing some of FIFA's long standing issues I'm not expecting the next-gen version to be dramatically different.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #32
Rookie

ajaxab's Arena

OVR: 6
There's a part of me that feels sorry for the devs. They got completely hung out to dry on that official trailer. The message at the beginning says that the footage comes entirely from gameplay, but the only gameplay we actually see comes at 0:56 for about ten seconds and even then, I can't think that anyone actually plays the game from those angles. The rest is merely a higher res and slightly more elaborate version of the introductions we already have. The marketers are doing the devs a disservice by putting out a trailer that is allegedly entirely based in gameplay when clearly there is no possibility of player interaction for 90% of what was shown. It's a shame really...

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »