Home

Will 2K Expand Their Lineup in Next-Gen?

This is a discussion on Will 2K Expand Their Lineup in Next-Gen? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Will 2K Expand Their Lineup in Next-Gen?

The lineup for sports gamers has gotten increasingly smaller as the years have gone by. This is no mystery.

In what started as a promising generation with healthy competition amongst the genre, ended with a number of series fizzling out and becoming nonexistent by the end. Some of this attrition has to do with licensing agreements but many of those agreements were struck when no viable second party was wanting into the market

So what is it, exactly, that is driving publishers like 2K Sports away from the sports gaming market?

Read More - Will 2K Expand Their Lineup in Next-Gen?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Isn't Top Spin still active? Or is that series "dead" too? I thought it was just the pre-next gen hiatus after 4 was released in 2011?

Anyways, NFL will most likely (95%) never come (even though we all want it) as EA and NFL probably love this situation, no college games will come out for I think 2-3 years after next year EA football game. Baseball from 2K is dead, no question about that.

But, golf and football (soccer) from 2K would be very interesting. Build solid games with good mechanics and graphics, with some real personalities (golfers, leagues/teams) and build from there. It may not sell crazy at first, but with age and attention to detail they may rival (FIFA, PES) or be (Tiger) the best out there.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 39
I would really love for them to add boxing back into their lineup. Their failure was outside developers. 2K company has potential to create an incredible boxing.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
Banned

Profit89's Arena

OVR: 8
The Sports genre is really suffering last 6-8 years. Almost no healthy competition left. Maybe soccer. That's about it.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8
Be nice to see them return to hockey. They had a few years of some good games with NHL 2K.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0
Yeah, 2K will continue the Top Spin series on Next-gen and it will be incredible (although I'd love to see EA continue their GST series as well). I doubt 2K will jump on soccer as PES and FIFA have already established themselves and trying to throw a third game in the mix will be tough (remember Ubisoft's attempt at Pure Football?!).

Remember when there were rumors earlier this year that 2K was considering bringing back the Links series, that could be a smart move if that happens. HB Studios in Canada revealed that they are working on a golf game for next gen, so if it's not for EA, it could be Links.

But this all stems on how NBA 2K looks in next gen. The fact that we're only going to see stuff in late September is a bit worrisome. EA has been developing for XBOne and PS4 for a while and haven't been afraid to show their hand. If the 2K engine for the new consoles isn't ground breaking, then I smell trouble.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit89
The Sports genre is really suffering last 6-8 years. Almost no healthy competition left. Maybe soccer. That's about it.
there has been good competition in tennis with Top Spin, Virtua Tennis and to a lesser extent Grand Slam Tennis. I think if EA took it seriously, GST with their IGNITE engine would be incredible.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Will 2K Expand Their Lineup in Next-Gen?

2K should add a few titles back and have them release every other year.

Say NHL 2K15, then Boxing 2K16, then NHL 2K17 etc etc.

No need for yearly releases IMO.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »