Home

OS Roundtable: Where does EA Football Stand at the End of This Generation?

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: Where does EA Football Stand at the End of This Generation? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 28
I think this current generation started with a lot of hope. Everyone thought that the power of the 360 and PS 3 would turn out amazing games. Unfortunately, Madden started with a thud and took six to seven years to find footing.

I think the last three years brought on some positive gains but EA, which I like, put in some features one year then removed them the next. I know everyone has their gripes (chain gangs, refs, etc) but what disappointed me most was the lack of growth.

The fight for the fumble mini game was a neat addition that was axed. The Extra Point looked to be a step in the right direction yet never to be seen again.

And having the exclusive license how can we not get more classic uniforms in both home and away? Why not classic teams and stadiums.

Lets hope the next gen sees EA bring on progression and options.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #26
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12
I can honestly say that in 8 years Madden has not advanced/improved one iota from last gen with the exception of Madden 25 with foot-planting, no physic Db's, minimal suction, and improved IE2 engine. But those should have been in the game years ago. Besides that Madden has done nothing this gen and it pains me to see games like NBA2K and The Show out shine Madden game such by a large margin in terms of being true to the sport they represent.

Without competition from another NFL license game I really hope they get comp from games in their own company. I really hope NBA Live delivers this gen and more people will take notice and start to question Madden devs on why they can't do the same in their game putting pressure on them to be more ambitious next gen.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #27
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4
Madden 10 was the biggest step up for hte series and since then, it hasn't evolved like it should have when you compare 10 to 11, 12, or even 13. The infinity engine was a nice edition, but the removal of things year after yeear upsets me. Removal of 7-9 gang tackling? Pro Tak, foot planting, weapons, NFL Films music, halftime show, (which was in 10) just little things that should have stuck with the series, it's best parts were removed.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #28
Banned

slgrant's Arena

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_hawks
Until people quit buying the games, EA is in a position of power. The lack of innovation, pathetic Q/A efforts, and focus on revenues versus consumers would normally result in awful sales. However, EA has the trump card with the NFL license. Their best title to date, IMHO, was Madden 05 (with Madden 10 close behind).
Totally agree
Old 09-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

I always laugh at the people that "enjoy a game for what it is". I hope they could do the same thing eating their entree from a restaurant that was covered with mold and wiped on the bathroom floor. Hey...enjoy it for what it is!
Old 09-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #30
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: OS Roundtable: Where does EA Football Stand at the End of This Generation?

Wasted potential and maddening inconsistency (pardon the pun) have made this generation of EA football extremely hard to stomach. Instead of improving on ideas in previous games, the development team most closely resembles the Buffalo Bills as they struggle to scrap and rebuild themselves far too often. Like the Bills, EA Tiburon seems to be clinging to past successes and promising innovation but falling short nearly every time in spite of selling boatloads of copies.

It's a shame considering EA's own FIFA and NHL, imperfect as they are, can be seen as technically superior and more faithful representations of their respective sports. For a product that prides itself on being "the most authentic football series ever produced", Madden falls short of authenticity in many key areas. The fact we have a huge Uniform Error Thread in the Madden and NCAA forums says it all: there's a fundamental lack of attention to detail in each series, and it doesn't only pertain to the art department.

I'll be a bit lenient on next-gen M25 considering it's a launch title. However, if next-gen Madden 15 (or whatever it'll be called) isn't a fundamental leap forward for this franchise, I and many others are going to be very disappointed. The last-generation cutscene-based presentation and spotty commentary track isn't going to cut it any further, neither will the canned animations and lack of detail in graphical fidelity.

The way I see it, fans have every right to be skeptical and write off the Ignite engine as "buzzwords" at this point. We haven't seen anything to tell us otherwise. Even the off-screen Gamescom FIFA 14 footage, while looking a bit more flashy, doesn't look like the gigantic leap forward that was promised (at least in respect to its competition).

I'm hoping to eventually eat crow and see a gigantic improvement reminiscent of Madden 2001 on PS2, but I will remain skeptical until then. If all we're going to see on next-gen are the little details that other development teams have already done in older games (hint: the interactive sidelines in APF2008) then count me less than impressed.

They have a huge opportunity to sell the new consoles and blow people away with a "killer app". We'll see if they aim for the greatness of Madden 2001 or sink to the depths of Madden 06 in a few short months.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jistic
I always laugh at the people that "enjoy a game for what it is". I hope they could do the same thing eating their entree from a restaurant that was covered with mold and wiped on the bathroom floor. Hey...enjoy it for what it is!
THIS . God forbid some of us wanting more for our money
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #32
Banned

It's simple to answer this question. Tiburon screwed up this game beyond all recognition. In 8 years, we saw absolutely ZERO innovation in football gaming. In fact, Tiburon not only couldn't fix their mistakes from last gen, they couldn't even replace everything that we already had back then. TERRIBLE. Madden 25 is a decent game, but it should have come out back in 2008.

I hate to be the guy to say this, but the reality is had 2k been able to continue, Madden would have gone the way of NBA Live or it would have been a much better product out of necessity. This entire generation was a solid waste and ended up alienated long time fans.

This reputation will be really hard to shake too. No company is more hated than EA/Tiburon. They may try to tell you different, but that is the case due their own doing, no one else's fault.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »