Home

Live 14 Producer Sean O'Brien Talks Expectations, Competition with 2K

This is a discussion on Live 14 Producer Sean O'Brien Talks Expectations, Competition with 2K within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Live 14 Producer Sean O'Brien Talks Expectations, Competition with 2K

i will pick up both nba live for xbox 1 and nba2k14 for ps4.....great now thats settled.....
Old 09-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 19
The key word used in his replies is the term "New", which according to EA's history means something that wasn't in their last release. Noting that their competitor has a good product being put out, I was waiting to hear the word "Better", but it was never used.

There's nothing "New" can be done to the game of basketball.
It's about being "Better" than any other developers representation of the sport.

If you don't have enough confidence in your own workmanship to stand on such a statement , then why would I as a gamer want to spend money on the 2nd best.

All this time away, if NBA Live 14 doesn't put something Better than 2k on the shelves, I'll just chalk up the Xbox One/Ps4 console era as a continuation of the same process used this Generation of consoles.

We want Better EA, not New!!!
Old 09-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoultonHawk
NBA 2K14 is incomplete for next gen, No Crew Mode & My Team is limited (no tournaments for next gen)
I've talked with Ronnie and Chris/LD2K personally and Crew/My Team haven't been confirmed or denied to be in next gen. They aren't rolling out the next gen press until around the time current gen releases, so they don't cut the legs off of that product.

I'm a Cleveland native and Cavaliers fan, so Kyrie on the cover intrigues me, but as of right now Live has given me ZERO reasons to be optimistic with its return. I need to see extensive gameplay footage to be sure that the issues that rendered the game broken since Live 10 have been fixed. Meanwhile, we all know that 2k can deliver a great and working basketball simulation experience. Let's wait until Halloween before we come to conclusions. We should know everything we need to know by then.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Since I already sold my PS3, and I've already paid for my PS4, all I can play is next gen so I am definitly considering buying NBA LIVE 14 over NBA 2K14 because there will be NO CREW on NBA 2K14 and My Team doesn't get the features that the last gen consoles get either. Maybe I'll skip 2K for a year until they catch up to next gen.
Quote:
NBA 2K14 is incomplete for next gen, No Crew Mode & My Team is limited (no tournaments for next gen)
Please stop spreading incorrect information, 2k has not made any comments about Next Gen as to what is included and what is not. I will wait to see the offical trailers and gameplay before i make my choice, but I have to admit that the 2k next gen trailer looks more realistic than what Live has presented so far.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 4

Having read the article, it seems that part of the focus is maintaining the product throughout the year. That's key for me.

One of the most frustrating parts of 2k sports over the last 3 years is the lack of frequent patches to fix some of the glaring issues. 2k makes a great basketball game, but has terrible support after launch. It often takes months to issue patches to fix some gamebreaking imbalances. 2k13 for pc is still waiting for a patch.

If Live really wants to cut into 2k's market, frequent minor patches to resolve gameplay imbalances would be a good step in the right direction. If they complement that with a few content patches to keep the game fresh, that would seal the deal. Free content patches would be amazing, but . . . you know, EA and all that.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
Cheeseproof.com

quehouston's Arena

OVR: 14
Cant wait. I'll definitely be checking out Live 14 first.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwyte81
I'm going with 2K, they've been reliable and I'll pass on this year's version Live 14, I don't trust in Live as of yet. Why is the next gen sport title's information coming in so slowly. I understand marketing the current gen game, but do they really think by them not telling us anything about the next gen it'll make me want to buy the current gen. i already sold my systems on Ebay to ensure I got top dollar before everyone floods the market with them. Now i'm just waiting for some info on sport titles other than Fifa 14. 2K/EA Sports, give some new next gen gameplay footage...
I am almost in the same position as you. 2k has put out excellent games over the last few years, albeit with some glaring deficiencies.

The two things keeping me intrigued about Live are 1) Fifa 2013 and 2) NHL 2013. Both of those games were excellent games in general and beautiful to play and look at.

If I remember right, EA poached some members of those teams to help right the ship for Live, and have made a big deal about how teams across the franchises are sharing resources for development through the new game engine. I am probably getting 2k for next gen, but there is still a chance that I could pick up Live as well if there is a playable demo that plays as well as their Fifa or NHL titles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #16
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadlowe
Having read the article, it seems that part of the focus is maintaining the product throughout the year. That's key for me.

One of the most frustrating parts of 2k sports over the last 3 years is the lack of frequent patches to fix some of the glaring issues. 2k makes a great basketball game, but has terrible support after launch. It often takes months to issue patches to fix some gamebreaking imbalances. 2k13 for pc is still waiting for a patch.

If Live really wants to cut into 2k's market, frequent minor patches to resolve gameplay imbalances would be a good step in the right direction. If they complement that with a few content patches to keep the game fresh, that would seal the deal. Free content patches would be amazing, but . . . you know, EA and all that.
I believe last gen developers had to pay after 2 patches, not sure how it will work with next gen. I dont believe any developer will have the time and resources to release mutiple small patches, plus the problem other than cost and resourses is they fact that you can patch one thing and totally mess up another so there has to be alot of Q&A before a patch can be released.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »