Home

FIFA 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PC)

This is a discussion on FIFA 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PC) within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: FIFA 14 PC Demo Now Available on Origin

Has defensive AI improved? especially on counter attacks? Some of the movements centerbacks would make was puzzling on breaks. Recently just had a scenario with 3 defenders, 2 attackers and the guy with the ball was easily covered and all the two center backs had to do was track the strikers run. However, one of my center backs shaded over towards the guy with the ball for whatever reason leaving the striker open for an easy through ball and goal.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckabillyRaider
Yeah, the defense does feel tighter. I've lost the possession battle in every game and have barely got any shots off.
You can't really go by the demo IMO. It feels like the CPU has been locked on high pressure specifically for this 3-minute demo. Yes there's more CPU off-the-ball pressure than default FIFA 13. But the moment they gain ball control, they boot the ball upfield to an open FW. That's how the CPU played in the final minutes of every game in FIFA 13 when running their high pressure game.

Last year after playing the FIFA 13 demo, I immediately knew I couldn't go back to FIFA 12, the improvements were that noticeable. Not this year. Feels like the same game with subtle tweaks to the player movement. I actually prefer some elements of FIFA 13 more. One example: FIFA 14, even on slow speed, plays so fast (again, pressurized) that some player animations appear to me to be jumpier, less natural, and not as smooth as FIFA 13.

EDIT: Have to backtrack a bit here, I am seeing slower, more-controlled buildup by the CPU, different than FIFA 13 for sure.

Last edited by Yeats; 09-10-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
MVP

Al Pacino (soccergaming, not the actor) cl file to increase demo length to 6 min and skip intro; might even be able to change to 10, 15, 20 min, haven't tried that yet:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/ki51j6b32u6e52r/cl.ini
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #12
MVP

After several more games I will say this: definitely some very nice player movement upgrades with FIFA 14, that alone might make it worth purchasing even if the CPU AI is the same as ever (which it seems to be). Seems more like something they could have patched in FIFA 13 though when it comes right down to it, but that's the way it is with most sports games these days I suppose.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #13
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Has anyone noticed the new ball physics, yet?

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 09-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
Has anyone noticed the new ball physics, yet?
Two initial impressions: Ball is heavier and passing feels about right. Shooting feels different and FIFA 13 felt better is my first reaction.

Pure Shot: Shooting has been transformed. Players have the intelligence to adjust their stride and approach angle to find the best position for hitting the back of the net. Well-hit balls feel satisfying and goals are rewarding. As well as quality strikes, players can now shoot while off balance or rushed.

The new shooting features (curve, low driven shots) are contextual, so it's tough to get a quick read on how effective it is. Again, my first impression is the shooting isn't quite right. The ball feels quite heavy and there's not the same umph behind shots that makes FIFA 13 shooting so enjoyable. This could be something EA further tweaks before the full game is released. If you recall last year the demo played quite differently than the full game did (much to the disappointment and frustration of many).

Also, Messi in the arena was banging uber-curved FKs off the posts and crossbar left, right, and center while the GK seemed helpless and dismayed. Wondering if contextual shooting will be too effective.

EDIT: Not sure about contextual shooting. Messi in the arena can fire cannon shots with the outside of his foot, and with his leg motion moving across his body. He should almost be off-balance and falling over at that point. I'd honestly say many of those shots should be mis-hits and even tappers that bounce or roll up the GK, instead they're curling and screaming past the post or above the crossbar.

Last edited by Yeats; 09-10-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
MVP

Re: FIFA 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PC)

Game speed slow
Speed sliders 39
Accel sliders 45

This to me is about perfect, plays a very nice game of simulation-paced football.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: FIFA 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PC)

Thanks for the info. Going to download it when I gt home. Figure there should be a demo expander out by then. I tended to play 13 with the game speed a little down from default, too. Your settings sound about what I would use. One question, can I switch to Pro Cam? That would make the demo perfect. Well, it would be perfect if Man U was a playable squad!

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »