Home

Thoughts on NBA 2K14 Pick and Roll Improvements (Da_Czar)

This is a discussion on Thoughts on NBA 2K14 Pick and Roll Improvements (Da_Czar) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Thanks for the breakdown dczar! Spaing is everything in pick n roll. There were a lot of plays in 2k 13 that presented good spacing options against man to man. Freelance spacing I would think is harder to code because the movement is so random. Even the video u showed for 2k14 wasn't intelligent movement. Mello would have no reason to cut baseline there. By staying in the corner he orchestrated the defender to choose help or hug. By moving the defender can do both! That's why horn plays are so effective because the shooters stay put in the corners as the ball handler works the pnr. To be honest I hope freelance ball is still broken, that way the play callers will have the advantage.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 3
Czar, the best sim basketball consultant. Someone should hire him.

PS: I think in 2k13, if you call an iso play, the clogging paint and no spacing issue might not be as bad.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #19
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Thoughts on NBA 2K14 Pick and Roll Improvements (Da_Czar)

Czar is the Andre 3000 of video game breakdowns. You rarely see him put out material, but it is always on point when he does. Good vid czar.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 09-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 12

At this point I think the development team should pay less and less attention to the message boards and YouTube sim gurus and just listen to DaCzar. Between "them and him" we would be in good hands.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #21
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
T...

The only videos I released for 2k13 were half court set offensive plays including the horns series... http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...HA2p_Lh2XjL6lY

Thanks for the breakdown. I really appreciated the real NBA footage setting up how a pick play "should" look so that it was easier to translate that into 2k play-making.

Perhaps this year you can release a 2k14 half court set offensive play video series as well. Then you can compare and contrast 2k14 with the old 2k13 set.

It might even help people see how a "better" developed play with coordinated movement is superior to what existed before.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
Czar is the Andre 3000 of video game breakdowns. You rarely see him put out material, but it is always on point when he does. Good vid czar.
That is a perfect comparison...great job czar...I'm curious have you seen Nything NBA Live?
I'm surprised that EA hasn't reached out to the community Kings to present a glimpse and get some feed back.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
These are freelance pick and roll plays. If you find any videos of me saying 2k13 freelance spacing in pick and roll was PERFECT you might have a point.

The only videos I released for 2k13 were half court set offensive plays including the horns series... http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...HA2p_Lh2XjL6lY

If you have listened to my radio show I have complained about 2k13's spacing all year long.

That said isn't it common sense that more flaws will be apparent in a game almost a year after it has been released rather than a month before the new game is released ?

And yes if the spacing in 15 is improved even more than it is now I may make another video illustrating how it has improved, and after 9 months of playing 2k14 I am sure I will be able to find more flaws than I was able to see today.
Czar what rosters were you using in your video? Looks like you had past teams.

Thanks for your analysis and education.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #24
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicey79
Czar what rosters were you using in your video? Looks like you had past teams.

Thanks for your analysis and education.
Sellaz 87 roster and Rays 80's volume 3 I believe were in that video. I probably have the names a little off but they are all in OS Roster forum.
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »