Home

EA/CLC Settlement With O'Bannon Team Is $40 Million

This is a discussion on EA/CLC Settlement With O'Bannon Team Is $40 Million within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 39
Re: EA/CLC Settlement With O'Bannon Team Is $40 Million

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogslax41
Pretty much nullifies any question you ask about what D1 athletes sacrifice.
I'm unsure what you're trying to say? I do love college sports, but being around it & actively involved with it - I'm unsure what's so tough about it... You practice, watch film, lift, each free meals, are worshiped by the fan base, etc. Sure, it's a huge time commitment, but they know what they're signing up for. What else do you want especially when only a handful of universities turn a profit. Stop whining - you benefit the university as much as the name and brand of the university benefits you, the athlete.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
The players already are compensated with a free education. If I had my way however every scholarship would require a high school 3.0 GPA. Then these players might realize how good their situation really is.
You don't seem to understand.

From another thread:

"Amateur status", "education", ect are all just red herrings at the end of the day with respect to this issue. The entire transaction (which is what this really amounts to) is very simple when you're at the levels of competition where the real money made. The player is interested going somewhere to maximize his opportunity to become a professional. The institution is looking for players to help them mantain/attain a successful program and therefore increase revenue generated. "Education" has absolutely nothing to do with what either side is really interested in at this level. But some of you are perfectly ok with colleges using it as some kind of compensation?
Old 09-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #27
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
As another poster mentioned, there is almost no way that the schools will ever pay their players. There is the legal issue with Title IX. As it stands, Title IX is probably the biggest obstacle to paying collegiate athletes.

You can't simply pay the football and men's basketball players. Similarly, you cannot pay every student athlete unless you cut every sport except the few big sports, Football, Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Soccer etc. Even then I'm not sure what you do.
You're right about this. But that provision doesn't cover any revenue gained outside the institutions. I believe this where we'll see the money come in. Not that it doesn't already, butthis way it'll be more above board and without fear of reprisal to the schools. Any system that has the schools themselves paying out money is a no go.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #28
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportzbro
I'm unsure what you're trying to say? I do love college sports, but being around it & actively involved with it - I'm unsure what's so tough about it... You practice, watch film, lift, each free meals, are worshiped by the fan base, etc. Sure, it's a huge time commitment, but they know what they're signing up for. What else do you want especially when only a handful of universities turn a profit. Stop whining - you benefit the university as much as the name and brand of the university benefits you, the athlete.
I'm saying you have no clue what you are talking about and have no room to ask how tough can it be because you have never done it. I played D1 in college. I had scholarships and chose not to accept them. Why would someone do this? Because I played a sport where going pro meant making a couple hundred bucks a game and I knew that if I accepted a scholarship that University could dictate the terms of my scholarship. I get hurt...bye bye scholarship. I want to take challenging classes, only at the approval of the head coach. I don't feel like sacrificing my education for a sport that may or may not be in my future, too bad I'm committed to the team and my education being "paid" for is at their discretion.

So instead I chose a better education that I had to pay for and still had film sessions, lifting, practice marketing commitments, travel and much more that prevented me from having even remotely the college experience that non-athletes get to enjoy. Luckily I chose the way I did because I blew my knee out and would have had my scholarship taken before I was done. After tearing up my knee and getting to be a regular student my GPA went through the roof and I had time to socialize, attend special lectures and just be a student. None of those things were available as a D1 athlete. So unless you have put in the hours then its pretty ridiculous to ask what's so hard about being a D1 athlete.

So a free education could have only potentially cost me a compromised education, a surgically repaired knee, a surgically repaired elbow and a lifetime of migraines possibly from concussions. You get any of those being an EMPLOYEE of a D1 program?

Last edited by Dogslax41; 09-27-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #29
Pro

OVR: 4
But but but...i thought Ed O'Bannon was the flag bearer for NCAA reform....but but but he's doing this for what's right....YAWN! this is and was always about a check for Mr. O'Bannon who has already thrown away millions in his life time. When EA flashed him dollars he immediately gave up on the "new slaves".

I wish ppl would give up this whole pay the players they earned it thing. Its a known fact only a hand full of schools make money. Most schools are using football money to finance their entire athletic department. I hate to stereotype but I will. A lot of these athletes would not be admitted to these colleges based on their grades and SAT scores alone. If a college education is roughly valued around a few hundred thousand that would first need to deducted from any "compensation" headed the players way. So unless you intend to pay the players $400,000+ they will not see that money anyways. I still haven't heard a model that works for paying Division II players. What about schools like Villanova who are D-I in bball and D-II in everything else? Are they only going to pay their basketball players and then cut all their other sports?

For everyone who will say but look at Johhny manziel..I ask you who was Johnny Manziel 3-4 years ago..had u every heard of him? And guess what if it wasn't Johnny Manziel, it'd be someone else from another school in the lime light. Just like that person will emerge when Johnny has moved on. The system is in place to give these players exposure and not the other way around.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #30
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportzbro
This case essentially sets the table for college athletes to be paid. All about precedent here.

Just can't wait to see college football players making $1,000+ per game on top of having access to personal trainers, nutritionists, post-graduation job network, free gear, national exposure, free "education"/academic assistant, under the table benefits, etc. while someone like me deals with 50K in student loans.

Oh, you can't live the baller life in college AND have a bunch of cash to blow on the weekends? Tough. You're a ****ing amateur athlete that has everything handed to you... And please stop saying that you sacrifice so much... what? Time in the weight room? Film study? Online "classes"? As a huge sports fan, particularly of college athletics (and former D-1A employee) this is off-putting.
So because colleges and universities are charging insane amounts of money that it requires you to go into mad debt it's the student athletes fault?

If you have a problem with your college experience you should take that up with the institution not the young people doing their best to navigate the same screwed up system.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #31
Pro

OVR: 4
I never played D1 sports but have had several very close friends who made it to that level. And also associated with plenty of ballers on campus. and I'm sorry anyone crying about the rigors of playing sports in college and being a campus legend, I DON'T feel your pain. Players are given preferential treatment that regular students only dream about. Tutors, healthcare, free meals, vip treatment. I'm not buying the "my life is soo hard i'm a broke college athlete routine". Everyone i knew grew up middle class or poor. The ppl who got to play sports were lucky they never had to worry about their tuition check bouncing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #32
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

How much actual money does a scholarship cost a school? Just because they charge 75K a year doesn't mean that's what it cost the school. Whats 200 or so "free rides" to a university that has 25,000 plus students?

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »