Home

NBA 2K14 Review (360/PS3)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K14 Review (360/PS3) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NBA 2K14 Review (360/PS3)

The last week of September is one of my favorite weeks of the year.

First because my birthday falls in that week. Second because the new version of the NBA 2K series usually starts appearing in mom and pop stores and on eBay.

I have spent a lot of time every year running around the DC area looking for stores selling the game early or bugging fellow OS'ers about eBay auctions or Craigslist listings. I’ve travelled to different states and paid almost twice the price just to get the game early. Needless to say I’m nuts when it comes to NBA 2K -- except for this year.

As release week came around, I wasn’t sure that I was going to try to get the game early. None of the promoted improvements and additions had me excited and I have been more focused on what the next-gen version of the game will look and play like.

So when Steve reached out and asked me to preview and eventually to review the game, I was happy about it but aware that my excitement level was much lower than in past years.

Did playing this year's game reignite my excitement for this year's current generation release? Let's find out.

Read More - NBA 2K14 Review (360/PS3)
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22
Can't wait to get this. I really wish there had been some offline association improvements but I'm happy with the gameplay changes.

Always nice to hear about improved A.I too. Keep it up 2k.

Last edited by Gramps91; 10-01-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
Pro

ruxpinke's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: NBA 2K14 Review (360/PS3)

solid review. bought digital version of game today. definitely going next gen, but probably not til the holiday, seem to all sold out online at the moment. this will hold me over nicely til then. 2k is never perfect but its by far the best, and will get my 60 for current gen. hoping there is an upgrade program for next gen like the UK. if not it would hurt a bit but i would def drop another 60 or so on next gen when its time.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 12
Fair and justifiable review, good job. I'm excited to check out the new gameplay but I have a feeling I'll be spending as much (or more) time modding the PC version as I will playing it.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 7

This was a really good review. I'm going to pick it up i think. Tough call though with the next gen right around the corner.

I'm wondering if sports games to start next gen will take a step back as far as gameplay like they usually do. It always seems to be that way at first until they get it right. I'd honestly much rather play polished gameplay then graphics and wait all gen until the gameplay catches up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Glad to see consistent good reviews about the improved gameplay and blocking system. Should be enough to hold me till Nov.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0
Fair review, to me gameplay is the most important aspect of nba 2k, but I recognize that a lot of people are also interested in the other game modes which see little to no improvement every year.

I am actually having the opposite experience as you regarding your point of how CPU AI teams play like their real life counterparts. Example, I just played a game (12 minute quarters) against the Mavericks, on superstar-simulation settings, and Monta Ellis, Devin Harris, and Jose Calderon combined to take 60+ shots (Monta had around 34 shot attempts, Devin Harris close to 20, and Calderon somewhere in the 15-17 range) whereas Dirk only had 12 attempts the entire game (game went into overtime) -- Dirk only attempted 2 shots in the first half.

In another game against the lakers, Kobe Bryant must have changed his name to Nick Young because Nick Young led the team in shot attempts. And I thought, okay, maybe just a fluke, but I played against the Lakers again, and Nick Young had 17 attempts by half time. Pau Gasol rarely touched the ball.

I did get the same experience as you though when I faced the Grizzlies. They dumped the ball to Gasol, and their first 12 shots, 6 came from Marc Gasol in the post, and 4 shots came from Z-Bo.

I hope they correct these tendencies in a roster update. Because it has been my main gripe with the game. Otherwise, I think gameplay is the best this generation (obviously aside from my issue with the AI replicating their real life counterparts), and the only thing holding it back is the realism in terms of team/player tendencies which could be a function of the default 2k roster.

Last edited by ron_bato; 10-01-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0
I'm going next gen but the $10 upgrade is a steal. I'm buying this with the full intent of trying (wife permitting) to get the PS4 and that version. This is a good hold-over and the upgraded gameplay is likely enough to make it alright to wait for a PS4 to come back into stock because I didn't preorder. I can wait until February or whatever as long as I have me some sweet 2k and GTAV.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »