Home

NCAA Sues EA and CLC for Breaching Contract

This is a discussion on NCAA Sues EA and CLC for Breaching Contract within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
NCAA Sues EA and CLC for Breaching Contract

The NCAA is suing EA and the CLC for what it is calling, "breaches of contract" stemming from the Ed O'Bannon case. The suit seeks to block the proposed settlement between EA & the CLC/O'Bannon from going through.

This is an interesting move from the NCAA, and potentially one of desperation to try to keep the case focused in as diverse a manner as possible so that they don't bear the brunt of the suit which now only names them in it. The O'Bannon case is largely the reason the NCAA Football series was cancelled by EA Sports earlier this fall.

The souring EA/NCAA relationship pretty much means there's no much of a chance of an officially licensed NCAA video game product anytime soon -- if there was even a chance beforehand.

What do you all think?
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
Pro

tarheelguy4736's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: NCAA sues EA Sports

This will get thrown out by the court. There just isn't anything in here that a judge would deem appropriate to over turn the settlement. This is just the NCAAs way of trying to control everything. the NCAA has just become ridiculous and has proven time and time again that no one trusts their judgement in any matter that they are involved. NCAA has no chance of winning this suit.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Yeah, I can't imagine this going very far. The NCAA signs off on what these companies sell/promote regarding the NCAA license, so they were giving these companies the 'OK' to do what they were doing which caused the lawsuit.

Watch me play video games
Old 11-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
Pro

mattynokes's Arena

OVR: 16

I think it's a shame that the NCAA can still sell #5 or #10 Ohio State jerseys and get away with it. But, EA Sports does it on a video game and they lose a lawsuit.

The NCAA should've been the ones hurt by the O'Bannon lawsuit in the first place. EA Sports was simply following the likeness guidelines given to them by the NCAA.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

At work right now, with the article I read earlier still at home, but if I recall correctly, the lawsuit against EA has something to do with it not having enough insurance coverage, and against CLC for lack of oversight of EA for what it was producing within the NCAA series.

First suit seems like it would be easy to prove or disprove, however I have no idea what would be considered the appropriate amt of coverage nor how that is determined.
The CLC suit seems to me that it would be very hard to find facts to support a decision for the NCAA.

When I read the story, the first thing that came into my head was the fact that the NCAA doesn't give a damn about FIFA, The Sims, Battlefield, Madden or NCAA '15. If they can get out of the original (O'Bannon/Keller) lawsuit -- and I think today's news makes it crystal clear they are ticked about being hung out to dry by CLC and EA -- by bankrupting a company, so be it. Just as long as the NCAA isn't on the hook.

Just one man's opinion, though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Rookie

Forestman's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGswim
At work right now, with the article I read earlier still at home, but if I recall correctly, the lawsuit against EA has something to do with it not having enough insurance coverage, and against CLC for lack of oversight of EA for what it was producing within the NCAA series.

First suit seems like it would be easy to prove or disprove, however I have no idea what would be considered the appropriate amt of coverage nor how that is determined.
The CLC suit seems to me that it would be very hard to find facts to support a decision for the NCAA.

When I read the story, the first thing that came into my head was the fact that the NCAA doesn't give a damn about FIFA, The Sims, Battlefield, Madden or NCAA '15. If they can get out of the original (O'Bannon/Keller) lawsuit -- and I think today's news makes it crystal clear they are ticked about being hung out to dry by CLC and EA -- by bankrupting a company, so be it. Just as long as the NCAA isn't on the hook.

Just one man's opinion, though.
They obliviously see some money to be had or they wouldn't be suing. Sad because this probably will result in no more NCAA games for years.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
Rookie

Peacefrog's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestman
They obliviously see some money to be had or they wouldn't be suing. Sad because this probably will result in no more NCAA games for years.
I'm all for it. Kill EA, let Tiburon or 2K make the sports games, give BioWare their games back. From a development point of view, I see no drawbacks to this happening. Of course, that's ignoring the financial aspects.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Tiburon is EA. 2k has no reason to jump in given their distance from 2k8 now in late 2013 as well as the legal cluster this is resulting in. Risk mitigation. Plus, why would the same schools who expressed doubt about giving EA their rights do anything different for 2k?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »