Home

Powerstar Golf Review (XBox One)

This is a discussion on Powerstar Golf Review (XBox One) within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Powerstar Golf Review (XBox One)

Zoe Mode's Powerstar Golf is unquestionably charming. From the lush visuals to the comforting background music, there isn't a moment where the game doesn't welcome you with open arms. And even though it's far from a true to life simulation of the sport, it brings the same kinds of triumphs and frustrations. Despite a few noticeable flaws and omissions, Powerstar Golf provides a reasonable amount of depth for only $20.

Read More - Powerstar Golf Review (XBox One)
Platform: Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21
This was one of the only launch titles I was interested in. The best golf game for me to date is outlaw golf 1 for the original xbox, if it's anything like that I'd really like it. It looks like it is, but I have no idea if it plays like that or not.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
The Magic

zasbury25's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Powerstar Golf Review (XBox One)

Another positive review for this game...not sure if I can put off buying this game much longer.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
Rookie

moose616's Arena

OVR: 3
Anyone else thinking Hot Shots Golf?
Old 12-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose616
Anyone else thinking Hot Shots Golf?
Yeah seems like it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Rookie

Keith74's Arena

OVR: 9
My wife and I are loving this game. We played Tiger and 3D Mini Golf on 360, and feel this is a mixture. Add me, I would love to play online and find other Rivals.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
MVP

lnin0's Arena

OVR: 23

Powerstar Golf is brilliant. For $20 it offers 6 golfers across 4 courses in the vain of a Hot Shots or Mario Golf title. It looks decidedly better than CG but nothing visually about the game is drool worthy due to its cartoonish looks. Most of your play time will be spent leveling up to unlock new courses/characters while simultaneously earning coins.

Coins, which can also be purchased for real world money, are used to buy in-game card packs of varying levels. Each pack contain upgraded gear, caddy perks and single round boosters that help improve your game. You earn coins at a steady enough clip to make this RPG element work.

This RPG card element allows you to customize a golfer to your play style yet never feels forced on you like some pay-to-win games. A big reason for this balance, is that the game doesn't feature an online mode, which would have quickly tipped it in favor of the biggest spenders. I can only imagine the negative reviews if that were the case.

So no, the game does not offer online play although it does an amazing job of tracking every type of record imaginable. It constantly keeps you aware of personal, friends and world's best drives, approach shots and putts for each shot you never feel as alone as you are. And if you still miss that entire, waiting for someone else to swing thing, you can always queue up a rival friend's (or random's) best round ghosts to play against. All this connectivity goes a long way to make the single player game that much more engaging.

Better, yet, invite that friends or family member over so you can show of your new Xbox One and enjoy this game with them. Side by side play trumps 'online' gaming because 1) only one person needs an Xbox One 2) only one controller is required 3) you can trash talk your friend in person. This game excels as the launch game for parties and should keep any arcade golf fans happily occupied long enough to recoup their money's worth.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 11

Hot Shots ...though it looks cartoonish had pretty realistic gameplay...not sure if this does. Maybe if price drops a lot....They should have a demo version?

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »