Home

NBA 2K14 My Career Mode Makes and Misses

This is a discussion on NBA 2K14 My Career Mode Makes and Misses within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Big Dummy

DustinT's Arena

OVR: 40
NBA 2K14 My Career Mode Makes and Misses

Of all the PlayStation 4 sports games, NBA 2K14 is the one I have played the most. I have almost exclusively played the new-look My Career mode, where you create an avatar and guide him through the cliché ascent from unknown street baller to NBA champion.

While the premise itself is stale, the mode's presentation is fresh, plus its scope is larger than any previous sports gaming story mode. You'd have to go all the way back to Midway's retired NBA Ballers and Blitz: The League series to find a sports game that put anywhere near as much work into crafting storylines and choreographing cutscenes.

NBA 2K14 My Career Mode Makes and Misses - Read More
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PC / Wii U / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Add, " Cant even play mode" as a miss.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Re: NBA 2K14 My Career Mode Makes and Misses

The greatest miss of all is how they fail to capture a true simulation of what it means to go from a top college prospect to being a pro. Until they focus on that aspect this mode is unplayable to me.

Forcing cut scene, made up rivals, and story boards was the last thing this mode needed. The put the cart in front of the horse and now the mode has become unplayable.

If they are going to steal ideas for RPG's. They should have stole from Skyrim. At least in that game actually doing certain aspects make me better at the very same action that I'm doing. As oppose to accumulating VC/Skill point (or what ever they want to call it today) just to use not only on completely non related skills in My Career mode, but random stuff in every other mode.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
MVP

Iceman87GT's Arena

OVR: 15
I'm the 6th man on my team and was building team chemistry until one of the "veteran" players came to me demanding I wear a red clown nose for all media appearances. I told him to shove it and my Team Chemistry rating went down 10 points to 48.

I accepted handling the guy's luggage, cause that's an acceptable rookie hazing, but making a fool out of myself is not something I'm willing to do, so I find it completely absurd that my refusal to do something like that should kill my chemistry with my teammates, especially given how well we have performed together, and how poorly the a-hole who is forcing me to do all these things at my expense is playing.

That's a huge miss in my opinion. I've fallen down to where I was before I started playing because I refused to make my player into a fool. Never mind all the positive moves that I have made to establish better team chemistry, if you don't do one thing properly its gonna kill your rating. Its like this with the teammate ratings in the game too, good ball movement usually doesn't provide much of an increase but accidentally let your player score (even when it comes when your assignment gets randomly changed), and you lose a ton of points. Basically you lose far too much for small mistakes than you gain for great play/decisions.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 8

Good read especially the VC part. Didn't know about the crappy rewarding system
Remember that in 2k11 or 2k12 you got a HUGE amount of SP for getting a A+ teamgrade, much more than compared to those awarded for individual performance
It's sad how thing are turning out
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41
Huge MISS! I haven't been able to play either of these modes. Every time I try it kicks me back to the main menu.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0
Mannnnnn!!! That was a good write up right there!!! I pretty much agree on all he just said on this article and I'm going to add some things.....

So we're supposed to be professional basketball players right?! In a virtual world!! Why in the world can I not wear the shoes I wanna wear?! I don't need an endorsement to afford shoes!!!! I'm a PROFESSIONAL!!! And I'm pretty sure, seeing that I played college baseball, that Organizations provide you with all the accessories you need on field/on court !!!! Why in the world do I have to build up VC to rock a headband, tape on my fingers, or an ankle brace?!?! C'mon 2k, that's absolutely pitiful!!! Yes I understanding building something up to be able to acquire new skills and upgrade attributes....just take VC out and use points or something

And since you wanna make me get endorsements to be able to buy things and you wanna make me a ball hog, why am I not receiving endorsements after 30 straight 30+ point games and avg of 6 assists and 7 rebounds ...like my goodness, what do you have to do to get noticed?! Pick up the the extravagant agent over family?! Is that the only way?!?!

The same cut scenes over and over really blows my high on 2k14 too...yea it was cool at first but I don't wanna here the same annoying voices 800 times...and speaking of voices....why doesn't My Guy get interviewed at half time or end of game situations?!?! How in the world does VC do all these lame cut scenes and not do something that matters...and on top of that, I never see my player of the game highlights!! It's ridiculous....
Old 12-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
MVP

RangersCruz's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman87GT
I'm the 6th man on my team and was building team chemistry until one of the "veteran" players came to me demanding I wear a red clown nose for all media appearances. I told him to shove it and my Team Chemistry rating went down 10 points to 48.

I accepted handling the guy's luggage, cause that's an acceptable rookie hazing, but making a fool out of myself is not something I'm willing to do, so I find it completely absurd that my refusal to do something like that should kill my chemistry with my teammates, especially given how well we have performed together, and how poorly the a-hole who is forcing me to do all these things at my expense is playing.

That's a huge miss in my opinion. I've fallen down to where I was before I started playing because I refused to make my player into a fool. Never mind all the positive moves that I have made to establish better team chemistry, if you don't do one thing properly its gonna kill your rating. Its like this with the teammate ratings in the game too, good ball movement usually doesn't provide much of an increase but accidentally let your player score (even when it comes when your assignment gets randomly changed), and you lose a ton of points. Basically you lose far too much for small mistakes than you gain for great play/decisions.
I really don't notice the difference in all the team chemistry stuff they pass the ball more then ever to me when im negative

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »