Home

NBA 2K14 My Career Mode Makes and Misses

This is a discussion on NBA 2K14 My Career Mode Makes and Misses within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K14 My Career Mode Makes and Misses

Miss- Bob from maintenance has WAY to many birthdays!!

Follow me on Twitter!
Http://twitter.com/cantrellchad
Old 12-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman87GT
I'm the 6th man on my team and was building team chemistry until one of the "veteran" players came to me demanding I wear a red clown nose for all media appearances. I told him to shove it and my Team Chemistry rating went down 10 points to 48.

I accepted handling the guy's luggage, cause that's an acceptable rookie hazing, but making a fool out of myself is not something I'm willing to do, so I find it completely absurd that my refusal to do something like that should kill my chemistry with my teammates, especially given how well we have performed together, and how poorly the a-hole who is forcing me to do all these things at my expense is playing.

That's a huge miss in my opinion. I've fallen down to where I was before I started playing because I refused to make my player into a fool. Never mind all the positive moves that I have made to establish better team chemistry, if you don't do one thing properly its gonna kill your rating. Its like this with the teammate ratings in the game too, good ball movement usually doesn't provide much of an increase but accidentally let your player score (even when it comes when your assignment gets randomly changed), and you lose a ton of points. Basically you lose far too much for small mistakes than you gain for great play/decisions.
I refused to carry Earl Watson's luggage, because that seemed like a b*tch move. I actually got more fans and respect for it. Then I agreed to wear the clown nose, because it's silly/goofy and really innocuous rookie hazing. I don't think you're looking like a "fool" - the point is that you don't always take yourself too seriously. I chose to see it as harmless and social media and the team responded positively.. so, just a different perspective.

Completely agree that the mode is far from perfect.. earning VC and team chemistry doesn't always make much sense. But for the first next-gen 2K, I think they got a lot of things right and I'm very, very excited to see where MyCareer goes in the future.

P.S. I LOVE the budding bromance I've got going on with LMA. Pretty cool to have a vet take you under his wing. I like how they worked in stuff like free throw practice and scrimmages. Awesome.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #11
Pro

Jakeness23's Arena

OVR: 27
There are so many problems with this game that I already traded it back in to GameStop. MyCareer is corny and ridiculous, I hate that everybody gets pretty much the same story, there's no unique experience. What if I don't want to be some street baller that got a tryout? Maybe I want to be a star freshmen out of college or someone who stayed all 4 years, someone who went overseas to play, whatever. And honestly, they could fit in A LOT more dialogue options if there were no voices; but if you're going to have voices, everyone needs one, and your player should have more than the 1 ridiculous voice option.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
MVP

RangersCruz's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeness23
There are so many problems with this game that I already traded it back in to GameStop. MyCareer is corny and ridiculous, I hate that everybody gets pretty much the same story, there's no unique experience. What if I don't want to be some street baller that got a tryout? Maybe I want to be a star freshmen out of college or someone who stayed all 4 years, someone who went overseas to play, whatever. And honestly, they could fit in A LOT more dialogue options if there were no voices; but if you're going to have voices, everyone needs one, and your player should have more than the 1 ridiculous voice option.
Not bad idea's i would like it if we played a season in college before the draft at least or go to China or somewhere and play there before coming in but that would be a lot of work for them and im not feeling them really being invested into the mode enough to care or make the mode much better
Old 12-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2
Add gameplay to the mix. I'm a 7'2" center and I had to add dunk packages to dunk the ball. Really?? Rebounding is a joke. When I have inside position, the CPU makes 93% of the shots. When they miss, and I have inside position, I get out rebounded by someone much shorter. I'm averaging about 2 boards a game. My last game, I took a pass from the right block. I turned baseline and shot a hook that hit the side of the backboard. WTF?? I'm slowly not liking this game.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
Cheeseproof.com

quehouston's Arena

OVR: 14

I just wish the mode was more realistic. They give us a 2x VC multiplier for HOF but HOF is close to impossible to win on while playing realistically. My teammates literally cannot function without me, and I put up ridiculous numbers without trying to. I find myself putting up 25+ shots a game because my teammates literally will not shoot the ball. They pass me the ball without me even calling for it. I call a play, but it breaks down immediately. It's really a mess on court if you are trying to play sim and not dominate every game as a rookie unrealistically.

The storyline stuff is okay, but make it dynamic. I don't want the same story as the next guy. Stop making me miss layups to force me to have a training session. Stop taking me out in the 2nd quarter when we are up by 25, just so you can put me back in with 2 seconds left telling me to hit the game winner. Stop telling me to score 10 points straight, so you can penalize me for not ball hogging.

This mode would be so great if it wasn't such a fantasy/fairytale.
@_quehouston and @cheeseproof
Old 12-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
Pro

bxphenom7's Arena

OVR: 9
I don't like the whole story feel. Relationships with players is cool and all but it'd be nice if the mode just focused on being a prospect and going through your nba career. Take out all the drama stuff that's forced there and let players make their own stories by how they play/progress through the mode.In other words, have the mode actually analyze your situation, such as if you're coming from a huge injury or you disrespected your teammates and just let that be a story in NBA Headlines and questioned for it during interviews. Let's keep all the Hollywood stuff out, or at least have an option to turn it off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
Pro

bxphenom7's Arena

OVR: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeness23
Perfectly said. We should be able to be players out of college. I, personally, don't want to pllay the story of a street baller who went to the NBA. 2k needs to give us the option! I honestly don't understand how they create the mode, and don't see the problems with certain aspects. It's like developers see the problems, say screw it, we'll fix SOME of it for next year's game and say it's an improved experience, when we could've just put it all in the yea before but we didn't because we want to give people a reason to buy next year's game rather than have to work hard at coming up with other creative stuff. SMH. Like really, we still don't have voice options? It's all about giving players OPTIONS, NOT FORCING THEM TO PLAY A CERTAIN WAY, ESPECIALLY FOR AN RPG TYPE MODE. MAKES NO SENSE.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »