Home

Sports Daily: Will Manziel be a Successful Pro QB?

This is a discussion on Sports Daily: Will Manziel be a Successful Pro QB? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Sports Daily: Will Manziel be a Successful Pro QB?

Mobile quarterbacks are a commodity that garner mixed reception when they make the jump from the college game to the NFL. Johnny Manziel is the latest to fit that mold and will no doubt be one of the most hotly debated players heading into this year's NFL draft.

Manziel's style as an agile gun-slinger has pushed some to compare the former Heisman winner to Brett Favre. Meanwhile, celebs like LeBron James claim to be tied to his inner circle of support (or maybe it's the other way around) so get ready for the next Tebow-like circus in the NFL.

The read option has faded into a mere tool in the arsenal of NFL offenses and not a devastating weapon that can't be stopped. Manziel, however, is a different breed of mobile QB. He's a never-shy acutely aware signal-caller with the ability to escape nearly any situation and turn it into positive yards.

Do you see Johnny Manziel succeeding as a quarterback in the NFL?

Sports Headlines for January 10, 2014
Platform: Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Lol! This happens every couple of years. Will such and such be successful in the NFL. Smh I wish that people actually kept up with these claims. Let me go down a list of successful recent college QBs who people said would be good in the NFL. Tebow, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Colt Mccoy, Colin Klein, Sam Bradford, Dennis Dixon, Jason White, Troy Smith, Jimmy Clausen, Eric Crouch, Pat White, Colt Brennan, Chris Weinke, etc. Idk if Manziel will even be around 5 years from now in football, Im doubting it right now but hey we'll see. But Im pretty sure everyone who comments that he will dominate the NFL probably said the same thing about 75% of that list. So I am sure that you guys have no clue what your talking about. Ill listen to what Greg Cosell has to say.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Once he gets hit by a NFL linebacker, he will turn into Jake Locker or even worst, Andy Dalton or Chris Ponder. On the high end, he might be just as good as Russell Wilson. Just all depends on what team he plays for.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
Pro

erich20012001's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Sports Daily: Will Manziel be a Successful Pro QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Once he gets hit by a NFL linebacker, he will turn into Jake Locker or even worst, Andy Dalton or Chris Ponder. On the high end, he might be just as good as Russell Wilson. Just all depends on what team he plays for.
This is my thought process as well, unless he gets much better at protecting himself, some of the hits he took in college will turn out much worse in the NFL.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 19
Vick was twice as fast/quick and after a couple of hits and being driven into the ground, that aspect of his game dwindled rapidly, then he had to be a drop-back QB, something that was never in his skill set.

JM is falls into the same category, his athletic ability will be exciting to see until it rapidly starts to decrease after a couple of hits (if you've ever had a 300 lb guy land on top of you, you know what I mean)

With most of his college passing plays, it was the WR's that had to adjust to catch the ball.
You can't just loft up balls in the NFL like in college.

The other big issue, which the combine will reveal, is his arm strength as it pertains to the NFL standards.

After what has happened to Vick, RGlll, Pryor and other QB's that rely so much on their athletic ability and have that taken away/dwindled after hits, I see teams staying away because of the impact they have on the franchise after they go down with an injury.

And please, please stop making a comparison with Russell Wilson because JM does not spend the film time that RW spends to perfect his craft.
He's said to "Study the Game" like Payton Manning and has admitted that his 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th choice is to pass so he doesn't have to take hits (his words)

Some horrible team that needs a marketing theme to put butts in the seats will draft him, but that's all it will be for.
Not because he's a franchise QB.
As cmehustle noted, many on the list were suppose to be the answer because of what they did in college.

Lastly, JM said he will not change who he is for anyone (that includes on the field as well as off the field).
We've seen what happens to QB's that love to party (J. Plummer, R. Leaf to name a few).
It's the one NFL position were you have to make a choice because it's proven you can't do both.

We will see though, it may finally click in his head to take advantage of the opportunity that's set before him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

I think he has the ability to be adequate right away, but honestly, he is a maximum bust or boom case. He could go up top for his potential or luck out by falling in the draft to land on a pretty decent roster.

There are many knocks on him, but people forget how accurate of a passer he is and how he can fit the ball in such tight windows or in great placement. Understandably, many of his big plays came from WR's going up for a catch, but those plays would also not have occurred Manziel's elusiveness and quickness. He doesn't have to be Mike Vick fast, he has to be Steve Young or Drew Brees nimble. Neither of those guys were big, strong, fast, but they were all elusive, accurate and had a way of directing players on the field.

I for one hope he helps a lowly franchise succeed. I'm tired of seeing the Jacksonville's and Brown's of the NFL sit rock bottom for so long.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:01 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
I think he has the ability to be adequate right away, but honestly, he is a maximum bust or boom case. He could go up top for his potential or luck out by falling in the draft to land on a pretty decent roster.

There are many knocks on him, but people forget how accurate of a passer he is and how he can fit the ball in such tight windows or in great placement. Understandably, many of his big plays came from WR's going up for a catch, but those plays would also not have occurred Manziel's elusiveness and quickness. He doesn't have to be Mike Vick fast, he has to be Steve Young or Drew Brees nimble. Neither of those guys were big, strong, fast, but they were all elusive, accurate and had a way of directing players on the field.

I for one hope he helps a lowly franchise succeed. I'm tired of seeing the Jacksonville's and Brown's of the NFL sit rock bottom for so long.
Na, he wont have those same windows in the NFL. I do think that he has great NFL caliber recievers right now, that can make you look a lot better than you are. Also his line has at least two pros, maybe three. Thats the reason a lot of your bigger schools dont have QBs who make it in the NFL. More smaller school QBs make it because theyre used to having to carry a team.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Answer: Yes

Caveat: In Canada (CFL)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »