Home

Sports Daily: Should the NFL Look at Elminating PATs?

This is a discussion on Sports Daily: Should the NFL Look at Elminating PATs? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Sports Daily: Should the NFL Look at Elminating PATs?

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, Patriots coach Bill Belichick, and former Tampa Bay Greg Schiano have something in common that could change the way NFL games are played in the future -- unfortunately for Schiano, it's not an NFL paycheck. All three have proposed changes to special teams plays that would help improve player safety and also speed up games and one rule change could be coming soon.

While Schiano's plan to end kickoffs isn't on the table currently, Goodell is warming up publicly to the thought of cutting out extra points. If for no other reason, the NFL should get rid of extra points because of the time it cuts away from serious on-field action. Devoted viewers of the NFL spend around three hours tuning in for a broadcast -- approximately eleven minutes of that is actual "live" game action. If the NFL pulls the rug out from PAT's it could then serve as a gateway to more serious changes like the removal of the kickoff and it's dreadful commercial-break onslaught.

Sound Off: Should the NFL eliminate extra points or other special teams plays? What similar changes would improve the game?

Sports Headlines for January 21, 2014
Platform: Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
MVP

AntiBandwagoner's Arena

OVR: 6
Heard about this on ESPNRadio.

I feel like the change isn't really necessary at this point. The NFL seems to try their best (for better or worse) to try and eliminate as many injuries as they can. The idea of removing an extra points doesn't solve that particular issue, or actually any issue whatsoever.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
MVP

XXstormmXX's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Sports Daily: Should the NFL Look at Elminating PATs?

I'm all for this. People complain that football takes to long and this would remove plays we don't need. And players can get injured on a play that won't matter 99.6 percent of the time, the percent of extra points that go through.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #4
Rookie

Branchurian's Arena

OVR: 0
I understand player safety & committment to health...But I think that would be the dumbest thing enacted. I don't feel sorry for the players...They don't have to play! It's a privelege to play in the NFL, thses guys get paid millions of dollars. More than our military, more than our doctors. Why not have them invest in their healthcare or have employee benefits like any other job? I played High School & college, you are well aware of the risk your taking when you put on the pads. If your getting paid millions to play the game than you agreed to the terms & the risk. Roger Godell is ruining the sport, why is he trying so hard to F@#! things up!?
Old 01-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
Banned

Profit89's Arena

OVR: 8
PAT is a waste of time. Get rid of it. It just serves as a commercial break. To many stoppages, get rid of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
MVP

XXstormmXX's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branchurian
I understand player safety & committment to health...But I think that would be the dumbest thing enacted. I don't feel sorry for the players...They don't have to play! It's a privelege to play in the NFL, thses guys get paid millions of dollars. More than our military, more than our doctors. Why not have them invest in their healthcare or have employee benefits like any other job? I played High School & college, you are well aware of the risk your taking when you put on the pads. If your getting paid millions to play the game than you agreed to the terms & the risk. Roger Godell is ruining the sport, why is he trying so hard to F@#! things up!?
I agree that the Godell is ruining the NFL but this isn't about player safety mainly, it's about not stopping the game for something that happens exactly the same 99.6 percent of the time. It would make for less commercials, which would make the game more fun to watch.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #7

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXstormmXX
I agree that the Godell is ruining the NFL but this isn't about player safety mainly, it's about not stopping the game for something that happens exactly the same 99.6 percent of the time. It would make for less commercials, which would make the game more fun to watch.
No it wouldn't, it would just cause the commercials that are now front loaded in the first half to allow for less stoppages in second half to be spread out more throughout the game.

It would actually make it more unbearable when the game gets towards the end.

Not sure if you understand how advertising works but the number of commercials isn't going to go away.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 33
Do away with the PAT (Which is almost a formality) & make the 2 Point Conversion the default post Touchdown play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »