Home

Sports Daily: Richard Sherman, Social Media, and Race

This is a discussion on Sports Daily: Richard Sherman, Social Media, and Race within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeslang
Thug has become a replacement for the N word in my opinion. How often do we call hockey players that fight 2 seconds after the face off thugs? Check the comment section of any Yahoo news story involving a black person, the racism displayed shows that the country hasn't changed as much as some would like to think.
I completely agree with 100%
Old 01-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadakiss88
Actually that's not true....Richie Incognito threatened a fellow teammate and intimidated him but he was considered a bully. Richard Sherman does the choke sign (basically telling Kaepernick he choked) and he was still amped up from making the biggest play of the Seahawks season and is talking about a guy that he was trash talking with all season yet he's a thug...? Unsportsmanlike...yea. Immature...yea. Loud Mouth trash talking fool...yea. Thug LMAO!!! If people really knew what Thugs were that would be that last word they use to describe Sherman.

LOL!!! Alex Rodriguez made threats to people involved in his PED Case no one called him a thug...? So I don't get the "If he was white or hispanic he would get the same reaction," seeing that in the past that hasn't been the case.
Thank you. They never call white or Hispanic athletes thug NEVER. Kaepernic did interview last year before the game against the Falcons he had his hat slightly tilted to the side. I read a couple comments on Twitter with ppl saying oh he looks like a thug smh. It's ridiculous. It's funny just like Supremeslang said I think Thug is a replacement for N word. It's ridiculous smh.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:34 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1
Give me a break with this being about race. It's about bad sportsmanship. When I watch PROfessional sports, I expect class, not WWE or UFC trash talking. If the XFL ever comes back, Richard Sherman would be a perfect candidate for that league, he could even have I'M THE BEST for his name on back of his jersey.

I think a lot of professional sport athletes act badly, whether people call them thugs, punks, or jerks, it's all about the way a player conducts himself on the field and after the game. I see a lot of shoving around and trash talking going on between players after a play is over, and all races are involved, and I tired of seeing it. There's no Sportsmanship in sports any more.

Last edited by MLcardinalfan; 01-22-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2014, 10:04 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 9
MLcardinalfan I can respect someone's opinion if they said Sherman displayed bad sportsmanship. That's probably true even though I personally enjoyed the rant. My issue is with the people judging his character without really knowing him. Facts are he is a Stanford graduate that gives back to his community often. He makes a couple heartfelt statements after making the biggest play of his life now he is a thug? That's ridiculous and this is one of the most overblown stories I ever seen.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #13
Rookie

Supermesiang: He may be a Stanford grad, I should know, I'm a Stanford supporter, but he wasn't born and raised in Palo Alto. Throughout this season, I've seen Sherman display bad sportsmanship in most games I've seen him in. I'm glad he at least gives back to his community, but he also leaves a bad example to young aspiring athletes. Growing up, I admired Willie McCovey, Franco Harris, Jerry Rice, and many others that showed great playing, professionalism and class. What I'm trying to say is, just shut up and play the game, I don't need to see the reality show drama queen rants during and after the game.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 9
I respect your opinion, but everyone is not wired like Peyton Manning. I find it refreshing to see an athlte actually speak his mind once in a while. The fans curse, scream insults and throw stuff at the players all the time, yet we want the players to be choir boys.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #15
Rookie

Fans need to start showing some class and sportsmanship as well, but that's been getting worse over the years as well. Just as the behavior of players on and off the field have been getting worse.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2014, 09:33 AM   #16
Rookie

Real Thugs : Pacman Jones & Aaron Hernandez

Now compare them to Richard Sherman and see how many similarities you come up with. Don't worry I'll wait!!
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »