Home

Beyond the Sideline Football Announced, Features and Teaser Trailer Revealed

This is a discussion on Beyond the Sideline Football Announced, Features and Teaser Trailer Revealed within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Beyond the Sideline Football Features and Teaser Leaked?

^^ Man, that's pretty cool. This football version is something I'll definitely have to check out.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 8
Okay, so this is some utterly amazing news. If confirmed I will be in total heaven. Between OOTP and football manager, I just need a better football and basketball GM text sim and i'm done.

To all those concerned about legality and such, it would such a poor sign of the times if a major body shut these types of efforts down. Customers and gamers LOVE these games, and the passion of the OOTP dev team shines through in ALL their games. It's small fish compared to the big console efforts so they should actually try to embrace this type of thing than get annoyed with it.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:11 PM   #19
Pro

drewst18's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
I see your point, I'm just confused because this whole time logos are the only reason other publishers don't put out nfl sims? If it's okay to use team names and team rosters that replicate the nfl legally, I don't understand why a game like this took 10 years to make
It hasn't. There are a few NFL sims just not strong ones.

Pro Football Simulator
Front Office Football
Football Mogul

Text based simulation games use no player likeness so there is no copyright issues. Most of these games ship with City but different Team Names that take literally 30 seconds to edit. Full real life roster and the community usually has logos ready for launch.

If you were referring to Console type simulations like head coach those use player likeness.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:11 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz87
I don't believe so, OOTP does not have a license or claim any affiliation with the MLB. This is why the game does not contain any MLB logos or correct award titles when downloaded, not sure of the exact legality to this but I assume OOTP Developments would be able to produce an NFL based game with similarity.
The MLBPA lost a court case a while back, the upshot of which is that team names, player names, dates of birth, stats, etc don't need to be licensed. That's what OOTP Baseball uses. Logos, etc are a different issue, and aren't covered.

As for the actual topic, I really hope OOTPD are making a football game. If not I will continue to lobby for one lol.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #21
PR and Marketing Manager at OOTP Developments

What Cryolemon says is correct: MLB sued fantasy baseball sites a few years ago, but the court decision said that player names, stats, contract info, etc. is all public domain information. That means that not only are the fantasy baseball sites safe, but game publishers like us are in the clear too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2014, 07:26 PM   #22
PR and Marketing Manager at OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebeatsuncagain
The feature list makes it sound pretty awesome. Reminds me of Front Page Sports Football games from years ago.

The video was quite pointless, but yes, this looks very interesting.
And hey, don't be too harsh on the video - my son and I had fun making it.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:29 PM   #23
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22
Any information on whether or not we can sim from past seasons? Would love to play as the mid 80's niners.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradOOTP
What Cryolemon says is correct: MLB sued fantasy baseball sites a few years ago, but the court decision said that player names, stats, contract info, etc. is all public domain information. That means that not only are the fantasy baseball sites safe, but game publishers like us are in the clear too.
Thanks for confirming that. I was 99% sure that was the case.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »