Home

Sports Daily: Obscure Rules Edition

This is a discussion on Sports Daily: Obscure Rules Edition within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Sports Daily: Obscure Rules Edition

The end of last night's Lakers-Cavs game was a weird one. Many of us were never aware of what would happen if a team, when down to five players, has one of them foul out. Do they play on with four?

Well, apparently the answer is 'yes.' LA's Robert Sacre picked up his 6th foul, but instead of heading for the bench and a power-play hockey-like situation, Sacre was able to stay in the game. The Lakers eventually held on for the final three minutes and change to beat Cleveland, but it was a learning experience for many NBA and sports fans.

Had Sacre or any other member of the team continued to commit fouls beyond a sixth, rules state that each foul is treated as a technical -- essentially giving free throws to the opposing team while allowing them to maintain possession.

Sound Off: What are some of your favorite obscure sports rules?

Sports Headlines for February 6, 2014
Platform: Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Sports Daily: Obscure Rules Edition

You can play with as few as 8 men on offense in the NFL. You can also kick after you score a touchdown if you choose.

I believe if your hat fall's off during tennis, you have to replay the point.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
Pro

sparkdawg777's Arena

OVR: 1
This is a really freak incident that may never happen again, but I don't like the rule. What if say Kobe wasn't hurt and got his 6th foul. Could the Lakers just fake injuries enough to get him back in the game?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Sports Daily: Obscure Rules Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkdawg777
This is a really freak incident that may never happen again, but I don't like the rule. What if say Kobe wasn't hurt and got his 6th foul. Could the Lakers just fake injuries enough to get him back in the game?
If the Lakers were to somehow fake injuries to the point of a fouled out Kobe Bryant being the only thing standing between their team fielding four players and not, I think the fact that technical fouls being assessed for each subsequent personal may not be a great deal for a team in that situation.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:24 PM   #5
Pro

jmaj315's Arena

OVR: 2
umm i think the castle move in chess is a weird rule.. i never learned that until high school

also the basic, foul pole being in fair territory... that actually makes sense tho

The double switch is a weird rule... i've wiki'd it many times and still dont quite understand it... but i know player comes out pitcher comes in in a new batting position and then pitcher goes out for a new hitter... something like that :/
*opens wikipedia back up*
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2014, 11:25 PM   #6
Pro

jmaj315's Arena

OVR: 2
Oh! and the free kick rule in the NFL... I think ive only seen/heard about that happening twice in my 15 years of actively following football
Old 02-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaj315
umm i think the castle move in chess is a weird rule.. i never learned that until high school

also the basic, foul pole being in fair territory... that actually makes sense tho

The double switch is a weird rule... i've wiki'd it many times and still dont quite understand it... but i know player comes out pitcher comes in in a new batting position and then pitcher goes out for a new hitter... something like that :/
*opens wikipedia back up*
Just remember that baseball substitutions don't have to be position specific. Even players already in the game can change defensive positions throughout the game.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #8
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaj315
Oh! and the free kick rule in the NFL... I think ive only seen/heard about that happening twice in my 15 years of actively following football
When I was coaching high school football I remember seeing the fair catch / free kick rule come into play during a Thursday night college football game. We joked about it at practice and then it actually happened during the game the following night. Luckily they missed, but it was pretty cool to see a team even aware of the rule (in high school) and to experience having to try and explain it to everyone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »