Home

Sports Daily: LeBron's Declaration

This is a discussion on Sports Daily: LeBron's Declaration within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Sports Daily: LeBron's Declaration

Hey look everyone, it's LeBron James again. He can dunk and he can talk -- about himself even.

In an interview that will air on NBA TV this coming Monday, "King James" declared:

Quote:
"I'm going to be one of the top four that's ever played this game, for sure. And if they don't want me to have one of those top four spots, they'd better find another spot on that mountain. Somebody's gotta get bumped, but that's not for me to decide. That's for the architects."

While he may have a point should his career continue without any major hitches or drop-off in performance, many feel it's awkward to hear someone speak of their own legacy in such a way.

Sound Off: Do you have a problem with LeBron James declaring himself one of the four greatest players ever?

Sports Headlines for February 12, 2014
Platform: Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
MVP

BringTheHeat's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Sports Daily: LeBron's Declaration

So I guess I'll start and take the initial smacking..lol.

No problem at all with him saying that. He's already the best SF of all time. He's just like Mike in regards to doing everything well, just LeBron is doing it more efficiently (as far as FG%). Mike is still the GOAT, followed by Wilt, Magic, and Kareem. But LeBron is knocking at the door.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
I'm not going to say where he ranks, but I don't think it's top 5. I even question if it's top 10. I'm sure Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Oscar Robertson, Karl Malone, Tim Duncan, Bill Russell, Dr. J, Kobe Bryant, Shaq, Scottie Pippen, and Wilt Chamberlain may have something to say in response, “King James.”

Declaring himself "top 4" is arrogant and disrespectful to the players that came before him. Is it even appropriate to make this statement considering he isn't even a unanimous MVP this year?

But then again... I don't think anyone ever accused him of being humble.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Queen James likes the attention.

I don't know, it's almost like he's forcing himself to say stuff like this. I think it's just fine if he means it. You should always aim to be the best as a competitor nothing wrong with that.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

If you watch the interview....see the smile on his face...then the context is a lot better than how it looks here.....no issues with what he said either way...

I can't wait to see the rest of that interview honestly...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 25

You can't compare big guys to smalls and mediums because the job requirements are too different.

For small forwards, John Havlicek and Scottie Pippen were more complete than LeBron is. They were role type players though, rather than lead actors.

These greatest ever talks need time to cool down. You need to wait four or five years after a guy retires to put it all in perspective.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #7
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Meh, why not?

It's difficult to rank the old timers but I'm pretty comfortable in saying that he's probably going to be the second best player behind MJ that entered the league after 1975.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 02-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
For small forwards, John Havlicek and Scottie Pippen were more complete than LeBron is. They were role type players though, rather than lead actors.
Pippen was not a more complete player than LeBron. Not a chance. Hell, Pippen is almost a poor man's LeBron in many aspects outside of physical strength in which there's obviously no comparison.

The holy trinity of former players that are for some reason untouchable when it comes to fans today are:
  • Scottie Pippen
  • Hakeem Olajuwon
  • Reggie Miller

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet

Last edited by ehh; 02-12-2014 at 01:10 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »