Home

New Tony Hawk Game to be Exclusive to Mobile Devices

This is a discussion on New Tony Hawk Game to be Exclusive to Mobile Devices within the All Other Sports forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
New Tony Hawk Game to be Exclusive to Mobile Devices

Last week, Tony Hawk revealed on his SiriusXM Demolition Radio show, they were developing a new game. No other details were released.

Bloomberg recently interviewed him on Taking Stock with Pimm Fox. Tony mentioned the game would be exclusive to mobile devices.

Quote:
We are working on a mobile game now. We've never gone exclusively that direction yet, so I'm excited because the amount of time people are spending on their phones and their tablets, playing games, we've never had our own game in that space, so I'm excited to provide one, finally.

Source - CVG
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
Rookie

dre2's Arena

OVR: 0
Cool I guess...not for me, was hoping for a proper THUG sequel on next gen systems.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
Rookie

SVCbearcat10's Arena

OVR: 0
In a lot of ways, I think this is a good idea. I'm not sure this series can ever capture the magic of the originals that were first released on PlayStation. There's not really a face to skateboarding anymore, Tony did so much to elevate the sport and bring the X-Games mainstream.

I don't care for skateboarding; never tried it and never want to. But I did enjoy the games, loads of fun. No matter how good of a game they could make on next-gen, I don't think it could live up to unrealistic expectations. They went with the safe play and gives their audience (who spends a ton of time at skate parks) something to play while out.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1
Just give me the game mechanics of TH3 with next gen graphics and I'de be happy
Old 02-27-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 3
Weak. Hopefully EA doesn't wuss out like this.

Note to EA: Just DLC the crap out of any new Skate game. People will understand. New boards to buy, new clothing, new skate park pieces, etc. As long as it adds to the game, rather than makes it complete.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
MVP

ps3veron's Arena

OVR: 11
Yeah not for me either... Oh well here's hoping for something on the consoles.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: New Tony Hawk Game to be Exclusive to Mobile Devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
In a lot of ways, I think this is a good idea. I'm not sure this series can ever capture the magic of the originals that were first released on PlayStation. There's not really a face to skateboarding anymore, Tony did so much to elevate the sport and bring the X-Games mainstream.
Shaun White is basically today's equivalent of what Tony Hawk was back in the 1990s.

Ubisoft tried publishing Shaun White Snowboarding (2008) and Shaun White Skateboarding (2010).

In North America, Skateboarding sold an estimated 280,000 copies on three platforms (Wii, 360, PS3). Snowboarding sold an estimated 1.38 million across five platforms (360, PS3, PS2, PSP, DS).

So the market just doesn't seem to be there on North American consoles anymore for a big-budget skateboarding game.

OlliOlli does seem to be doing well on Vita, but it's a much smaller-scale project with less than a dozen people working on it.

Quote:
Weak. Hopefully EA doesn't wuss out like this.

Note to EA: Just DLC the crap out of any new Skate game. People will understand. New boards to buy, new clothing, new skate park pieces, etc. As long as it adds to the game, rather than makes it complete.
The studio that developed all three Skate games, BlackBox, was shut down by EA in 2013.

I doubt there will be another Skate game any time soon. If there is, it will have to come from a completely different team than the guys who made the original trilogy.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:45 PM   #8
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22
....and all the excitement I had has been lost. I'm not much of a mobile gamer.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports »