Home

The NCAA Debated Allowing Player Names In Video Games

This is a discussion on The NCAA Debated Allowing Player Names In Video Games within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
The NCAA Debated Allowing Player Names In Video Games

In a report recently filed by Deadspin, it appears the NCAA came close to allowing real player names in the NCAA Football video game series, with EA agreeing to include academic features and scores within the game (such as the APR). Be sure to read the full report which includes some interesting double standards by the NCAA.

Quote:
"Using the rosters in the games, and maybe the names of student-athletes on jerseys in the game would be worthwhile," the NCAA document said in summarizing CLC's position. "Reasons: 1) EA would put into each game all players on the entire roster and they include over 140 Div. I schools in their games; 2) Rosters are embedded within the product/game (hidden, in a way) not on the cover/outside when you buy the product; and 3) this would wipe out 3rd party infringers — better to have schools/conferences and the NCAA control this."

Do you think we'll see an NCAA Football game on this new generation of consoles?
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
MVP

MrSerendipity's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: The NCAA Debated Allowing Player Names In Video Games

I most certainly hope so. NCAA 14 is really the only reason I still own a PS3. And I can't imagine how painful it's going to be around Jul-Aug when the usual NCAA Football Locomotive isn't on the tracks. At this point, I feel like they should just grant players an opportunity to opt in or out of the game. Give them a deadline, a form that states they can't sue for likeness in the event they opt in and then run business as usual for the players who opt out.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #3
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Do you think we'll see an NCAA Football game on this new generation of consoles?
Sadly, absolutely not. It really sucks for me since NCAA is pretty much the only game that I play.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 02-27-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
Pro

Jakeness23's Arena

OVR: 27
One of the big things I'm hoping for in this generation is either A) EA starts making worthwhile products, or B) They implode and leave the sports scene forever and someone else picks it up.

Oh and duh... fully customizable games with no real players, so we can create the leagues ourselves!
Old 02-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #5
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeness23
One of the big things I'm hoping for in this generation is either A) EA starts making worthwhile products, or B) They implode and leave the sports scene forever and someone else picks it up.

Oh and duh... fully customizable games with no real players, so we can create the leagues ourselves!
Even better, make it so the game doesn't ship with a roster...the game randomly generates the roster at startup based on a general set of instructions like type of offense, relative strength of team, etc

Sent from my ADR6300 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2014, 11:02 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeness23

Thank you my friend. You are smart
Old 02-28-2014, 12:11 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 11
I wish 2K makes an NCAA game.... Football/Basketball (preferably College Hoops). I doubt that will happen though only because it too much legal hassle for the game companies to go through, getting sued an all (looking at you EA SPORTS).
Old 02-28-2014, 06:39 AM   #8
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeworld
I wish 2K makes an NCAA game.... Football/Basketball (preferably College Hoops). I doubt that will happen though only because it too much legal hassle for the game companies to go through, getting sued an all (looking at you EA SPORTS).
How is this EA's fault?
NCAA: The College of William and Mary Tribe

William and Mary Class of 2018!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »