Home

Press Row Podcast - Hands-on with MLB 14 The Show and More

This is a discussion on Press Row Podcast - Hands-on with MLB 14 The Show and More within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #9
OOTP Community Manager

OVR: 0
Re: Press Row Podcast - Hands-on with MLB 14 The Show and More

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
From the interview, frame rate for ps4 isn't where they want it and part of the lighting for the ballpark wasn't complete but graphics are much better than ps3. Three minutes of discussion about that, then rtts, it's boring to play 162 games, etc.

I get the impression these folks aren't into baseball.
I would be more worried about the frame rate and lighting if Samit was seeing the retail build. Sony still has 4 to 6 weeks before this game will have to go gold for the PS4.

RTTS is the best part of MLB.

I am into baseball, which is why I want to play 162 games. If I wasn't, why would I want to play that much?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
Old 03-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
To TJ, who said he was looking for a Sega Dreamcast video cable, I recommend buying a VGA cable:

http://www.amazon.com/Tomee-Sega-VGA...=operasport-20

Most of the games on the Dreamcast will run in 480p if you output in VGA mode. And most HD TVs these days still have a VGA port.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
MVP

TGov's Arena

OVR: 8

Wow these guys (and gal) were hard to listen too, I nearly fell asleep. The only thing that kept me awake was info about The Show...

Love what RTTS is gonna be now, I really didnt like the goals or filling up that little blue bar thing... Now it will be more realistic in the way that you are basically in competition with your own organization mates. You have to beat out the guy infront of you on the depth chart to get his spot and vise versa.
Also, now there's a tryout at the beginning THEN the draft, I was unaware of this and am now more EXCITED! (if its possible)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #12
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSportsGamer
I would be more worried about the frame rate and lighting if Samit was seeing the retail build. Sony still has 4 to 6 weeks before this game will have to go gold for the PS4.
All that stuff comes together, he probably experienced one particular build. When we are at CD we can experience several different builds and some are better then others depending what was done. I am sure this game will go through many, many revisions before it is close to final.

Last edited by nemesis04; 03-07-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #13
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
From the interview, frame rate for ps4 isn't where they want it and part of the lighting for the ballpark wasn't complete but graphics are much better than ps3. Three minutes of discussion about that, then rtts, it's boring to play 162 games, etc.

I get the impression these folks aren't into baseball.
Not true. Owen Good (now of Polygon) has written some of my favorite The Show related articles.

However, the discussion on RTTS was shocking considering there were journalists/bloggers from some pretty big-weight publications taking part.

Very disappointed with the panel discussion if you ask me.

I know we don't know the details yet, but how they spent so much time speculating on what emulating a big league player in RTTS means and no one clearly suggesting, "maybe it means using their animations and if you're a pitcher, their repertoire...but we'll see what else or if we're on the right track" was pretty odd.

They just seemed so confused by the idea that I had to cringe a few times (again, not that we know exactly what it entails, but even the speculation was on the panel was strange).

I usually love these podcasts but this one was pretty unusual compared to the ones I've listened to.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #14
Pro

What i'm wondering is, why would scea even let the guy who saw the ps4 version running sneak a look if the frame rate was bad, unless of course that's as good as it's going to be.

Last edited by Will I Am; 03-07-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #15
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSportsGamer

RTTS is the best part of MLB.

I am into baseball, which is why I want to play 162 games. If I wasn't, why would I want to play that much?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I don' play rtts, strictly franchise but rtts is a popular feature. Not my thing but if it gets people to buy the game that's all good.

The one notable thing about the interview was the magnificent graphics and accompanying slow frame rate for the ps4 which I suspect are related. When I heard a developer talk about 40,000 individual hairs on a player and other related graphic improvements like individual blades of grass I wondered if the machine had the horsepower to pull that off and still have solid animation.

It sounds like that is still a work in progress. IF - pure speculation but - if I had to choose between hair and gameplay frame rate and animations, I'd opt for less hair.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #16
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

The PS4 version is not optimized nothing in the game is those things happen at the very end. The game is coming along just fine.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »