Home

Press Row Podcast - Hands-on with MLB 14 The Show and More

This is a discussion on Press Row Podcast - Hands-on with MLB 14 The Show and More within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Press Row Podcast - Hands-on with MLB 14 The Show and More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will I Am
What i'm wondering is, why would scea even let the guy who saw the ps4 version running sneak a look if the frame rate was bad, unless of course that's as good as it's going to be.
Evidently Russell told him they were working to improve frame rate.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:33 PM   #18
Rookie

Teigh Cubs Teigh's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will I Am
What i'm wondering is, why would scea even let the guy who saw the ps4 version running sneak a look if the frame rate was bad, unless of course that's as good as it's going to be.
Companies show off incomplete games to journalists all the time. Nothing that he said really worries me. There's still a lot of time to work on it and he specifically said that Ramone said that they were on target for 60 fps unless there is any kind of major setback. He also mentioned that it was playable but it just wasn't quite great yet. It'll be fine.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
The PS4 version is not optimized nothing in the game is those things happen at the very end. The game is coming along just fine.
Russell to the psychological rescue! haha. Sounds good.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #20
Rookie

Hi guys - Rich here.

I am really bummed that so many of you are disappointed in the episode. Any and all issues with the show's content are my fault and responsibility.

No one other than Samit has seen the game, and he had just seen it. I actually had no intention of discussing it until the last minute, so I put Samit on the spot right before we started recording. It's extremely difficult for those of us who haven't seen it to speak to it, and in hindsight it was not the right forum for discussion.

What I should have done is not mention it until the next episode, when most of us will have had hands-on time with it. I thought it would be fun to kick around for a bit, even though what Samit had seen was a preliminary build. I also cut off the discussion quickly, so that's also me.

Looking back and considering the community's desire for any and all details, it was a poor decision by me to have this chat. It put all of us in a less-than-optimal place.

Lesson learned!

I put a lot of effort into making Press Row unique for people who love sports games, and it really bums me out when people are disappointed. I'll keep working to make it a better show.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgrisham
Hi guys - Rich here.

I am really bummed that so many of you are disappointed in the episode. Any and all issues with the show's content are my fault and responsibility.

No one other than Samit has seen the game, and he had just seen it. I actually had no intention of discussing it until the last minute, so I put Samit on the spot right before we started recording. It's extremely difficult for those of us who haven't seen it to speak to it, and in hindsight it was not the right forum for discussion.

What I should have done is not mention it until the next episode, when most of us will have had hands-on time with it. I thought it would be fun to kick around for a bit, even though what Samit had seen was a preliminary build. I also cut off the discussion quickly, so that's also me.

Looking back and considering the community's desire for any and all details, it was a poor decision by me to have this chat. It put all of us in a less-than-optimal place.

Lesson learned!

I put a lot of effort into making Press Row unique for people who love sports games, and it really bums me out when people are disappointed. I'll keep working to make it a better show.
Live and Learn buddy. NBD
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
Not true. Owen Good (now of Polygon) has written some of my favorite The Show related articles.

However, the discussion on RTTS was shocking considering there were journalists/bloggers from some pretty big-weight publications taking part.

Very disappointed with the panel discussion if you ask me.

I know we don't know the details yet, but how they spent so much time speculating on what emulating a big league player in RTTS means and no one clearly suggesting, "maybe it means using their animations and if you're a pitcher, their repertoire...but we'll see what else or if we're on the right track" was pretty odd.

They just seemed so confused by the idea that I had to cringe a few times (again, not that we know exactly what it entails, but even the speculation was on the panel was strange).

I usually love these podcasts but this one was pretty unusual compared to the ones I've listened to.
I don't know any of the people on the podcast but the reason I said they didn't seem like baseball fans was the comment about 162 games being boring and a need to speed play the games with features like player lock. Millions of people spend significant money to sit for hours and watch baseball. Those folks on the podcast seem more interested in getting it over with than enjoying the experience. Baseball is not a game for people with short attention spans. One of them was talking about how many cool arcade features were available for his created player in NBA.

For me the best part of mlbts is the realism of the game in franchise mode. It is like playing a sim with realistic results while watching at the same time.

If Owen Good is the exception then I stand corrected but there was little on that podcast to indicate a significant interest in baseball.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #23
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgrisham
Hi guys - Rich here.

Lesson learned!

We all appreciate the response.

I love the podcasts enormously which I why this specific one struck me as unusual. Your explain makes complete sense.

Thanks for putting these together and I'm looking forward to the next episode!
Old 03-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #24
Rookie

And oh yeah - we will be having one or more of the Show's development team on an upcoming episode to deep dive into all the features of the game. So you'll definitely be getting tons of real info from the makers themselves.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »