Home

MLB 14 The Show: Best Franchise Challenges

This is a discussion on MLB 14 The Show: Best Franchise Challenges within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #9
100 Miles To Go

Curahee's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: MLB 14 The Show: Best Franchise Challenges

I plan on doing a fictional franchise this year and Im not sure who to choose.
Id like to use a team I have not already in years past.

So far Ive used:
NYY
CHC
COL
SDP
BAL
PIT
ARZ
ATL
WAS
SFG

I dont want:
CWS
MIA
TBR
PHI

Im leaning towards:
CLE
TEX
NYM

Last edited by Curahee; 03-10-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddykraven
I've done this for years as a "the Show" fan. I really wish there was an expansion team option. Was hoping we could import Diamond Dynasty teams to the Online franchise and do a cool fantasy 8-16 team online franchise.

In the past I've taken the Devil Rays before they were good and became the Rays. The Pirates until they were good. Last year I tried Houston and I have to say, with all the young talent they have, they were too easy. Wait a couple years for their hitters to mature, then sign or trade for a couple good pitchers and you have a playoff team. They have a lot of money in their cap open so the challenge was small.

I agree above with the Marlins as a good options, but then you have to play in their new ballpark and see those neon uniforms all the time.

I really like the Padres as a challenge. They have some good pieces and you can probably get them to the playoffs with a few moves but the real challenge will be sustaining a system for 5-10 years. I almost miss the days when my Reds were a "bad team" and I could take over as GM for them. If you want a medium challenge though, the Reds would be a good one. You know they have the chance of making the playoffs and through a couple of moves, making them a powerhouse 'dynasty' team would be the real challenge.

Why does May have to be so far away?
I was thinking the same thing about the Marlins. Maybe on the ps4 the ballpark will look good. As far as the neon uniforms, I suspect there will be an option to use home whites and road greys.

My parameters are a team with a pitcher friendly ballpark and low budget and I then build around speed, line drive/gap hitters and pitching. For several years I used the Pirates but they aren't as much of a challenge this year. They are expected to win. That leaves Padres or Marlins.

Padres have tried to assemble a team built for their ballpark and you are right, with a few moves they could be in contention although their budget would constrain what moves they can make -they have the lowest payroll in their division.

The Marlins on the other hand are a dumpster fire which is what makes them an attractive option for me.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #11
MVP

TGov's Arena

OVR: 8

Boston Red Sox as I always do...

But with the addition of Quick Pitch, which I plan on utilizing, I will probably do 2 franchises. I usually go with the Houston Astros since I love there ballpark.(and retro jerseys lol)

In the past I've gone with the Atlanta Braves since I've always been a fan(2nd to my BoSox of course).
I really like the challenge of bringing a terrible team back to life and the 'Stros seem perfect for me... I usually play for like a month in the game and lose interests but quick pitch will greatly help with this...

Also whenever I play a 2nd franchise, I refuse to acquire any Red Sox players for obvious reasons but I also like to acquire some "unrealistic" players to make it more fun. But who knows maybe in a few years the Astros will turn it around and be a major player for a guy like Trout. Ok maybe not but I hear they have a pretty good farm system...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #12
MLB The Show Designer

Kirby_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 1
Even though I'm a Giants fan, I've always liked to do rebuilds with my Franchises. Last year I did the Cubs and unfortunately didn't get as far as I wanted, so I might use them again, especially once OSFM are out. Playing with the likes of Almora, Baez, Bryant, Edwards, Soler, etc. and then of course the MLB guys like Rizzo and Samardzija make the team pretty interesting.

However, I'm also really intrigued by the Twins, and they might be an even bigger challenge. Buxton and Sano are rising stars that should be really fun to play with, but their MLB team is really pretty thin. Seems like a lot of work needs to be done in MIN to get that organization back to the top of the AL Central, but with Quick Counts and Player Lock (shameless plug), I should be able to get a lot further than I did in '13.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #13
100 Miles To Go

Curahee's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby_SCEA
especially once OSFM are out.
I love that a Developer uses OSFM!

Old 03-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #14
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee

There are pro athletes that use OFSM as well

Last edited by ShowTyme15; 03-10-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #15
Rookie

Dwenny's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGov
Boston Red Sox as I always do...

But with the addition of Quick Pitch, which I plan on utilizing, I will probably do 2 franchises. I usually go with the Houston Astros since I love there ballpark.(and retro jerseys lol)

In the past I've gone with the Atlanta Braves since I've always been a fan(2nd to my BoSox of course).
I really like the challenge of bringing a terrible team back to life and the 'Stros seem perfect for me... I usually play for like a month in the game and lose interests but quick pitch will greatly help with this...

Also whenever I play a 2nd franchise, I refuse to acquire any Red Sox players for obvious reasons but I also like to acquire some "unrealistic" players to make it more fun. But who knows maybe in a few years the Astros will turn it around and be a major player for a guy like Trout. Ok maybe not but I hear they have a pretty good farm system...
Wow, I forgot about utilizing quick counts to play two franchises. I usually do the Red Sox, but this year it looks like I can play with the Cubs to experiment with.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2014, 02:19 PM   #16
MLB The Show Designer

Kirby_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee

Of course! I love what Knight and the rest of you guys produce. Makes playing The Show in season modes so deep. I can tell a lot of pride is taken in making those rosters legit.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »