Home

Eight Features the NFL Removed From the Madden Series

This is a discussion on Eight Features the NFL Removed From the Madden Series within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Eight Features the NFL Removed From the Madden Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicVirtue
I think if NM would have given the option to adjust the camera yourself, and provided better player models, the game would have done a lot better. I don't know why they were so stubborn to give users options.
Maybe. But certainly, I can't disagree that having robot-like player models and a trippy camera angle hurt their chances a lot. You'd think they would've listened given how many fans were telling them not to do this long before release when the game was just getting into early beta. 2K was the same way. I don't understand why these companies want to just shrug off the demands of the very fanbase they're selling to. You go back to the boards prior to APF's release and people were literally screaming at 2K not to use some of those awful team names that were being suggested.

Overall, BB was just missing too many things. Being that it was a mid-level development, I gave it a lot of passes. But The core of the game was just broken. Before the patch, I could get a sack on nearly every play if I felt like it and that was just awful. After the patch, I couldn't run or complete a pass despite holding down the right trigger like instructed. Receivers dropped everything unless it was a wide-open pass that allowed the WR to make a controlled stop and catch, and even that was 50-50 most of the time for me.

The one thing BB did right that APF didn't was the logo editor. Though I would prefer a TeamBuilder style editor, you gotta hand it to NM for the layering system. Being able to create the exact logo you want is too important not to have in a customizable game. Not being able to build my own team like this in Madden is one of the many gripes I have with the game. I'd like to just start a franchise with my own created team from day one.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #18
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28
These are the breaks of dealing with a billion dollar entity. Just because EA has the NFL license doesn't make producing the game any easier, if anything, the client dictates heavily a lot of things like this which really holds back the development team.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:25 PM   #19
Banned

Re: 8 Features the NFL Made Madden Remove

1 Ambulance. It was funny originally because it ran other players over. It wouldn't translate to the ps4 version.

I just wish they wouldn't treat injuries like total afterthoughts. In some of the more recent Madden games injuries were treated more seriously. Maybe the NFL wanted to have injuries downplayed more, I dunno.

4. Losing helmets. I do miss this one, it doesn't happen enough in real football to need it in game and I can see the NFL not wanting it. They don't let players remove them on the field at all.

There was a few years where it was happening a lot more than usual and I remember catching an ESPN segment where some coaches and equipment developers were discussing the problem. Perhaps equipment management has become more of a priority after the NFL reviewed the situation, which in turn cut down the amount of helmet losses?

5. Design your team colors. This one is stupid but I think it's a niche group who do this. I don't notice it isn't there.

I actually think this would be wanted by anyone who wants to relocate a team in franchise and wants to add their own personality. As it stands, relocation in Madden is far too limited. I almost threw up when I saw an LA team name being "The Dreams". That was a WTH moment for me right there.

6. Celebrations. I won't give EA a pass here either. Most of the ones they discussed were flagged in real life. Not to mention EA is probably allowed to do celebrations like real football where teammates wait for them to finish the dance before celebrating. Instead EA uses cut scenes that eliminate the other players all together.

The celebrations are just totally "bleh", and the one where guys are in the endzone jumping around like school children just makes me huff. There are so many NFL celebrations to copy from real life, I just don't get why they keep trying to put their own spin on it.

7. Laying out sideline guys. This just became an issue with the new systems, the old sidelines have been cut outs for years. I won't complain about the NFL taking this out either. Living worlds needs a lot of work with or without this.

I got a free PS4 with a free copy of Knack and a free copy of M25 about a week ago. Played M25 a few times and was surprised to see a player run out of bounds and be caught in a bearhug by one of the players on the sideline. As long as the sideline reacts, that's good enough.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #20
Rookie

onac22's Arena

OVR: 5
This is all good and well and confirms my dislike of Goodell and the NFL as the largest non-profit organization in America. The NFL as a name pays no taxes, and Goodell is one of the highest payed CEO's in the world.

More going on than just censorship.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:06 AM   #21
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Don't think there's many surprises here other than Madden himself chiming in and making changes related to player injuries and the commentary related to them. Wonder what else he had a hand in, guess everyone will have to hate him too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2014, 11:36 AM   #22
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: 8 Features the NFL Made Madden Remove

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
I have yet to see a document from the NFL to EA stating they must:

1. Remove the proper tie breaker mechanisms from CFM
  2. Remove the proper calls from the officials when a ball is intercepted in the end zone so it calls it a safety
  3. Remove all fundamentals when it comes to proper tackling technique
  4. Remove any proper ball physics that resemble realistic bounces
  5. Remove delayed blitzes
  6. Remove Realistic player movement
  7. Remove all presentation elements that we actually see on TV
  8. Remove a realistic player progression system
  9. Remove practice squads.
  10. Remove the injury system that the NFL has along with statuses
  11. Remove the ability for to have more than one commissioner for a league
  12. Remove the ability to create a draft board for when league members can't make the draft
  13. Remove the ability to play scrimmages with your online franchise roster
  14. Remove proper gap control and assignments from player sense
  15. Remove any quality commentary
I'm sure I missed a bunch here. Apparently this document that states to remove all of these items has been issued to Tiburon, we just haven't seen it or heard about it. However, we've certainly seen the proof that this document was indeed sent!

This times 1million. everything else after this comment is dead.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #23
Rookie

NicVirtue's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
Maybe. But certainly, I can't disagree that having robot-like player models and a trippy camera angle hurt their chances a lot. You'd think they would've listened given how many fans were telling them not to do this long before release when the game was just getting into early beta. 2K was the same way. I don't understand why these companies want to just shrug off the demands of the very fanbase they're selling to. You go back to the boards prior to APF's release and people were literally screaming at 2K not to use some of those awful team names that were being suggested.

Overall, BB was just missing too many things. Being that it was a mid-level development, I gave it a lot of passes. But The core of the game was just broken. Before the patch, I could get a sack on nearly every play if I felt like it and that was just awful. After the patch, I couldn't run or complete a pass despite holding down the right trigger like instructed. Receivers dropped everything unless it was a wide-open pass that allowed the WR to make a controlled stop and catch, and even that was 50-50 most of the time for me.

The one thing BB did right that APF didn't was the logo editor. Though I would prefer a TeamBuilder style editor, you gotta hand it to NM for the layering system. Being able to create the exact logo you want is too important not to have in a customizable game. Not being able to build my own team like this in Madden is one of the many gripes I have with the game. I'd like to just start a franchise with my own created team from day one.
It's funny you mention those things, like the holes in the gameplay. I not too long ago bought the game back, and downloaded a roster file. I must say that game is VERY refreshing, to me at least. Knowing the games issues, I can deal with them, because it forces me to play football a different way. Even if you run a play that is designed to beat a particular defense, depending on your players form for that game, the play can either go well, or bad. That's 1 thing I liked about BB, was players not playing the same every game if you put the form on Random.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:23 AM   #24
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

One thing I'm almost certain of:

TATTOOS were NOT removed because of NFL pressure. If that was the cause, why were they still in Madden iterations on PS2?

Everyone always says it, but no one ever provides proof. It's nothing but speculation that I have seen. They were still there in the PS2 games, so did the NFL really remove them or did the detail required of the PS3/XBox 360 require too much time to get in the game? I think it's the latter. Until someone shows me PROOF, I won't believe it (because again- they were still in the PS2 version of the game!)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »