Home

How The Show Can Embrace Baseball's History

This is a discussion on How The Show Can Embrace Baseball's History within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #17
cws
Rookie

cws's Arena

OVR: 0
I wholeheartedly agree! Unfortunately, I feel another company will have to make such a game. Sony, just does not seem very interested in the historical part of baseball. That's too bad. I've been waiting for such a game for many years. Great article! Thanks!
Old 03-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 21
I am a classic team nut. All I ever play with are classic teams. I would LOVE for Sony to take on something like this, but as Knight mentioned all they really have to do is make a set of stadiums. The community can take care of the rosters since Sony cannot do them due to licensing issues. They can't use names and likenesses of players from the past unless they negotiate and pay the player or family...and that is not going to happen for thousands of players needed for this type of thing. Once the player is no longer part of the MLB Player's Association, they have to be negotiated and signed separately.

If they provide the right tools, uniforms and logos could also be done by the community. So, again, getting the oldtime stadiums in the game is what we would need them to do...but again, this runs into licensing issues I believe. I know Ebbets is not available due to the cost you have to pay to reproduce that likeness in a game...I am not sure who "owns" the rights but imagine having to acquire rights and make payments for the majority of classic ballparks? Daunting and not likely.

I will tell you this...if they ever figure out a way to pull it off, I would gladly play extra fro DLC for stadiums and uniforms, etc. I do think it is, and always has been, a gold mine waiting to be tapped.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #19
ShowTime!

NAFBUC's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: How The Show Can Embrace Baseball's History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
"To this point, no baseball video game has adequately approached the history of the game in a manner which added replay value — or really even value — to the game."

No console game. OOTP does a good text sim job of it.

I would LOVE for a game like The Show to include historical seasons / teams.
Agree Cryolemon ..........along with stats!
Old 03-14-2014, 05:29 PM   #20
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How The Show Can Embrace Baseball's History

I love the old stadiums of yesteryear & would enjoy them being in the game, but I'd like to see a way to have two eight team leagues set up without having all the expansion teams cluttering things up. With import-a-player, The Show is already ahead of the curve over madden & nba2k in regards to historical rosters.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #21
Pro

MBMavs20's Arena

OVR: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDwinder
Now that's what I'm talking about! Been wanting to see this for a long time. Old Time Baseball did this in mid '90s on PC with classic announcers Curt Gowdy and Mel Allen. Talk about reliving my childhood memories. Always have loved the classic ballparks. If they could really replicate the older player faces, mechanics, and nuances from old footage, that would be too cool. I know we had some historic ballplayers in earlier The Shows, but they were not done very well and were not very compelling.
MVP PC had some great classic stadium mods that were very immersive too.
This needs to happen. I would pay full retail add on to have this in The Show, if done correctly.
You are correct sir. Old Time Baseball was my favorite baseball game hands down. You could replay any season and it had all the Old Stadiums. The only one it didn't have was Cleveland Municipal Stadium. It was awesome playing in Old Yankee Stadium where the monuments were on the field in Left Center.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #22
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Just for starters, I would love for SCEA to put in an option for historical division alignments (with or without interleague play) for season/franchise play. That way, when the great community creates historic rosters, we can truly re-create the feel of those historic seasons without the need for generic teams replacing more recent franchises.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 8
Brilliant! I absolutely agree with you...the history put in OOTP with the graphics of "The Show" (BTW, I'm partial to the old Brooklyn Dodgers..my Folks grew up there and my Dad and his friends would on occasion see Rachael Robinson doing her chores while they walked to school.).
Old 03-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 1
All Star Baseball gave us a glimpse of this ten years ago. I remember playing with the old time players and always wondered why it just went away.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »